• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaveyCrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Bluffton, Indiana
    I never want to have to sell a firearm. I have sold one before and now completely regret it. Am I the only one who would rather sell of other things than his firearms? ex.- the tv, video games, family cat, etc.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    You're not the only one. I've sold more guns in my lifetime than most dealers keep in their inventory and I am still a private collector. As such I honestly regret each and every sell I ever made or had to make. That being said there was one specific gun which is very rare and will never decrease in value and I was forced to sell it a number of years ago. I've never seen one like it since and I babysit online ads/auctions daily and visit all the LGS weekly and still have never found one. That's "the one the got away."

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    Years ago my now ex wife made me sell my 686 because my son was born. I should have kicked her to the curb instead.
    Earlier this year I was going to trade my xdm40 for a 686 out of the classifieds here and my current wife told me I was trading one regret for another. She wants me to buy a new 686 later this year!!
    I have only sold 1 gun and I don't ever plan on doing it again.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Regrets, I've had a few... but then again, too few to mention...
    I did what I had to do
    And saw it through without exemption

I planned each charted course
    Each careful step along the byway
    And more, much more than this
    I did it my way. ;):):

Seriously though, it depends on the gun... I recently traded in a Diamondback .380 for a Browning Buck Mark... no regrets.

Sold a S&W Model 64 and bought a mint condition Yugo M48A Mauser for what I got for it... only a little tinge of regret (but I got over it).

Traded a PX4 Subcompact 9mm and a S&W Model 66 for an Egyptian Maadi AK... some definite regrets (mainly about the Model 66), although I do really like the AK so... :dunno:

I will say this... I find it hard to get sentimental over "plastic" guns... My old milsurp rifles... even the cheap Mosins... I'd have to think long and hard about getting rid of.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Years ago my now ex wife made me sell my 686 because my son was born. I should have kicked her to the curb instead.
    Earlier this year I was going to trade my xdm40 for a 686 out of the classifieds here and my current wife told me I was trading one regret for another. She wants me to buy a new 686 later this year!!
    I have only sold 1 gun and I don't ever plan on doing it again.

I dated a girl a long time ago and we got into a conversation or disagreement one time (I can't remember.) She made the comment, "your guns mean more to you than I do."

LOL. I jokingly said (although we both new I meant it), "my guns were here before you, and they will be here long after you." My now wife know this to be true as well, but LUCKILY she's as much in love with this gun addiction as I have been my entire life. :rockwoot:

Last edited:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    You're not the only one. I've sold more guns in my lifetime than most dealers keep in their inventory and I am still a private collector. As such I honestly regret each and every sell I ever made or had to make. That being said there was one specific gun which is very rare and will never decrease in value and I was forced to sell it a number of years ago. I've never seen one like it since and I babysit online ads/auctions daily and visit all the LGS weekly and still have never found one. That's "the one the got away."

I'm curious if you don't mind sharing, what was the one that got away?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'm fuzzy on the dates and "specifics" of its manufacture because it's been so long. There were only "20,000" manufactured (this may have been 2,000 I can't completely remember.) They were ALL sold at the Grand American competition in "1995" (I think.) It was an ultra lightweight Browning BT-99. It had all the trap bells and whistles, made of all stainless steel, had engraving on the receiver with some gold inlay and a gold trigger, "extra fancy" wood, invector, fully adjustable all over, two bead sight. It supposedly was made and marketed/sold as a "lightweight youth/women's competition gun." It was what I used to compete growing up when I got into it with my uncle who had been a competition shooter for several decades. He took me under his wing around 9 years old and taught me, traveled around the state to competitions learning from him and all of the old trap competition guys he knew. Even at that age I could handle that all stainless gun like it was a little 22 rifle. I averaged 19 our 25 birds with that gun my first year competing. I had to sell it when I reached 15 years old because of my first "paycheck/on the books" job. I didn't know what to look for on a pay stub and they had not been taking taxes out on me all year long and I owed. I had no way of coming up with that much money at 15/16 years old so I had to sell it. I've only seen ONE even remotely like it since and I was unable to buy that one at the time. No others before or since. :( Last time I looked up its "estimated value" it was around $2500-3000 (that was some time ago) and when I got it we payed only $800.

Everything else I've owned is replaceable.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I notice you didn't put a comma between family and cat there. In all seriousness, I've been to the point where I had to sell my AR, among other things, and the family would have gone before the cat, because the wife was largely responsible. Hell or high water, I'm never going to be at that point again. New GF understands.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    You can always get them back! I just got rid of a 10/22 I had a little remorse as I drove away with a new xd. But then I remembered that there are almost as many 10/22 and mosins. Too many fish in the sea for modern firearms.

Now if we are talking about family heirlooms never ever will I get rid of those. If times are that desperate good bye kidney!

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Now if we are talking about family heirlooms never ever will I get rid of those. If times are that desperate good bye kidney!
    Agreed. I still have some in my collection that were passed down through my family and are well over 100 years old and still function. Hell, I've still got a pocket diary from my ancestor that he kept during the civil war talking about the day they were informed of President Lincolns' death.:n00b: My family doesn't get rid of a lot, LOL.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I don't see trading or selling. I don't have anything that would change a dire situation by unloading it quickly. The truck would go before guns. Things that would happen before selling my guns: selling my electronics, selling myself to old women for their bingo money, and selling organs on the black market. I've gotten good deals on every gun I own and I'd most likely be taking a hit if I sold them and tried to replace them later on.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    In hindsight, I wish I was a little smarter when I first bought my shotgun. I decided to buy it used, nothing wrong with that, but it was just not for me. I should have picked something else. If I could go back, I would say no to my friend who made the offer and bought something of my own choice instead. Same for my 1911. I wanted a full size, but now I want to carry it and a full size is a bit too impractical for everyday carry and I wish I bought an officer model.

Also when I had the shotgun I really didn't want, I should have modified that instead of replacing it with a new one. Nothing wrong with a Mossberg and yes Remington is good, but I could have bought it used too

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    If you have them long enough, and live long enough, you sell them off to do other things or explore other areas. Revolvers to autos, fancy shotguns to AR's. There are always new toys to play with. As long as you keep your "core group" (a few that mean the world to you) you can sell and buy all the time! I sold off a huge S&W revolver collection a few years ago when my financial world took a dive...I have since realized that I really only need about 2 of each frame size....lol
    They are guns, not family members or heirlooms (in most cases).

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I have talked with a couple of my friends, and everyone that has sold firearms, regrets it down the road. I don't think I would ever be able to part with mine. I will just continue to add to the collection. Granted, its easy being single, but every girl that i date knows that I am a firearms enthusiast, and any choice between them and her means shes leaving. Girlfriend I have now is very understanding and even wants to learn how to shoot and help get new guns for the collection as well.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Some, I regretted, others not so much. I sold a Bersa 380CC and immediately regretted it enough that I bought another one about 2 months later. I still regret selling my 586 but not so much selling my Sig P6. That was a great gun, but I did not like the decocker instead of having a safety.

Top Bottom