• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I wonder if the 17M/19M models will be available for sale to the public?
    I would imagine Glock will fill LE/FBI orders first, then maybe release for public sale next year :dunno:
    Hopefully, we will starting seeing them as used police trades in 3-4 years.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Technically DLC= Diamond Like Carbon. It is a carbon base coating that mimics a thin layer of diamond. Very hard , 70+ Rc. Very smooth. Can be issues with adhesion on some substrates, and despite reputation, does not have inherent lubricity. Works very well with oil/grease. Can gall in dry sliding.

Anyone know why they switched to this from their previous nitrogen-impregnating metal treatment? Is it cheaper?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I wonder if the 17M/19M models will be available for sale to the public?
    I would imagine Glock will fill LE/FBI orders first, then maybe release for public sale next year :dunno:
    Hopefully, we will starting seeing them as used police trades in 3-4 years.

[STRIKE]They are only producing 10,000 of the m series[/STRIKE]. PLease disregard the previous as it seems to be inaccurate. Sorry. Not sure how many of these changes make it to the Gen 5 guns. I've heard that a Gen 5 might be awhile

Last edited:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I ordered a Gen 4 G19, which arrived this morning. It's the MOS configuration and I've got a Vortex being shipped in by Alan. It's my first Gen 4. The backstrap adjustability is a useful feature. Pretty impressive.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Diamond Something? I think she dances at Brad's on Tuesdays and the weekends.

Nah...You are thinking of Diamond Lilly who used to do the can can show down at the Long Branch Saloon when you were a marshall down in Abeline right after the war.....Remember? You and Hickock used to get in arguments over that red head....

Good times....

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    They are going back to a traditional barrel and not the Glock type we're used to....

I'd definitely get it if the mag release is actually ambi and not just swappable.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    They are going back to a traditional barrel and not the Glock type we're used to....

I'd definitely get it if the mag release is actually ambi and not just swappable.

Anybody know why they are shifting from polygonal rifling (assuming that is what is changing?). Did someone require to be able to shoot lead?

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Anybody know why they are shifting from polygonal rifling (assuming that is what is changing?). Did someone require to be able to shoot lead?

Ballistic fingerprint is one speculation?

I have read some specs on Glock 41 and they have non polygonal rifling. And the 41 was introduced a couple years ago. So I wonder if that might become and option.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Anyone know why they switched to this from their previous nitrogen-impregnating metal treatment? Is it cheaper?

I can only speculate. Salt bath nitriding involves some nasty chemicals. (cyanates) and I'm guessing that, being gubmint and all, the tree huggers had some role in making DLC more apppealing.

DLC is not cheap. But with enough market meddling, who knows? The gov't can make ethanol and solar "cheaper" so I'm sure similar magic here is not beyond them.

DLC is somewhat viewed as a miracle finish, but it doesn't deserve that reputation at all.

It is particularly not so good at harder impacts. It's hard, but brittle. So if you apply the DLC over something that is much softer, it can fracture and peel off. Best to keep on already hardened parts Rc60 or better.

Or so I'm told by knowledgeable folks.

Top Bottom