• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My Memorial Day project was to finally put a roof on the front porch I put in last fall.
    I accumulated the necessary materials and had the entire day to accomplish my task so I wouldn't need to hurry.

The uprights, ledgers, and rafters were already up.
    I still needed to cut the rafter tails, add fascia board, decking, lateral bracing for the roof, and a rubber membrane.
    I started on one end, but it wasn't until I was well into my project before I realized that a robin had made a nest on top of one of my uprights.
    I really didn't want to destroy or even disturb the nest, but this project needed done now, before the summer heat kicks in.
    I inspected the nest and found three very small birds inside.
    Limiting my intrusion as much as possible, I fashioned a small shelf and placed it on the side of the upright about 8" lower than it had been.
    I was worried that mom would abandon the nest, but she didn't.
    She was not happy about the relocation but settled in on the nest before sunset.

Great momma.
    Hopefully they'll be gone in a couple of weeks and I can clean up the mess and remove the shelf.
    I didn't want to disturb her anymore than I had to so I decided against pictures
    Maybe this afternoon when she leaves the nest.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Wife laughs at me because I’m at war with my porch pirates.
    I wouldn’t mind but they seem to think my porch furniture and grill is the streets of San Francisco. (**** everywhere).

I installed spike strips in their favorite roosting spots. Stopped the robins.
    I have a finch that is testing my resolve by attempting to nest inside the spikes.

Attachments

• IMG_7437.jpeg
      IMG_7437.jpeg
      397.3 KB · Views: 10

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Wife laughs at me because I’m at war with my porch pirates.
    I wouldn’t mind but they seem to think my porch furniture and grill is the streets of San Francisco. (**** everywhere).

I installed spike strips in their favorite roosting spots. Stopped the robins.
    I have a finch that is testing my resolve by attempting to nest inside the spikes.
    We had a similar patio cover growing up. My dad made a sort of flat covers out of aluminum that conformed to the shape of the roof that worked well. May have been aluminum cans, can't recall.

Top Bottom