• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I've purchased from ZX at the Indy 1500, but haven't yet been to the brick-and-mortar(-and-steel). I hate to hear that someone did this, but I'm glad to hear that you guys are all okay, and little worse for wear. You did everything reasonable, and beyond. What happened only proves that no law, nor the best intentions of the law-abiding, can alone thwart the efforts of those intent upon violence and harm.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Mabye I'm a little redneck, but I hope this type thing never happens at my shop, but if it does I would like to be there for it.

I said that once and was accused of wanting to shoot someone.

I would accuse you guys of wanting to help make the world a better place :):

I think that's a little far.... I'd be fine with them losing a hand.

I don't think so. Knowing our country these days the perp would end up on disability because of the missing hand and we taxpayers would be supporting the worthless scumbag. A "death penalty" during the act would be the best thing for everyone - except the perp. I would even support using whatever meager assets the perp's estate has for paying for the cleanup of the bloody mess left on the floor, walls, and merchandise.

Pinger5560

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2016
    Columbia City
    I have a question, so when these gun stores lock up at night they just leave everything in the cabinets, on the shelves & walls. If it where my shop a hour before close everything would be locked in a big ass safe in the back store room of the store & that safe would be inside a heavy duty cage, like those old school jail cells. I cannot understand if this isn't done, also all the ammo would be locked up also. I would just get to the store earlier to put it all back out, thinking this would be safer idea to me.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    From their FB page.

So i will post another quick update today and then copy over what is on our facebook wall. No longer will there be 95% guns packed away. If you were to come into our shop now after hours you would think we were out of business. There are no longer firearms left out at all in any way shape or form.

Here is the update from Chad & Lisa about the whole ordeal that is posted on our Facebook Page...

"Despite what has been stated in various media, the burglary of our Fort Wayne location early this morning, while the store was closed and unoccupied, resulted in the loss of no ammunition and less than 20 firearms, mostly not of the AR type.Having been in the business of retail firearms for over a decade, we designed both of our locations with safety, security, and loss prevention as a high priority. Everything from polices and procedures, store layout, and electronic and physical security measures were carefully thought out and informed by the hard lessons learned by others in our industry. The reality, however, is that all physical security measures are ultimately limited by the specifics of the buildings we occupy and immediate surroundings. The ideal gun store would be built like a WWII bunker, but urban retail spaces simply are not constructed like that. The high concrete curb and 2" thick steel bars welded together into a solid unit and bolted into the concrete floor did as well as anticipated at stopping a 4,000 lbs speeding vehicle. The vehicle was only able to partially dislodge the bars and did not penetrate into the store. The thieves had to squeeze in to the narrow gap created between the exterior wall and the bars.
    Our cameras collected evidence, our alarm system summoned a quick response from law enforcement, and our large safe and other barriers successfully denied the thieves access to almost the entirety of our firearms inventory. Our friends in local and federal law enforcement are on the case, have collected a ton of evidence, and we have every confidence that the perpetrators will quickly be brought to justice.
    In the meantime, we are reviewing our security measures, we have cleaned up the mess, completed an inventory (see photos), repaired the damage and are prepared to welcome our customers (and the curious public) to both of our locations when we resume normal business hours tomorrow morning.
    We would like to thank members of local law enforcement and the ATF for the quick response and thorough investigation. We also thank our customers and the communities in which are stores are based for the concern and support we have received in the last 24 hours.
    Finally, we are offering a $500 reward for information that directly leads to the arrests of the perpetrators.
    Sincerely,
    Chad & Lisa and the ZX Crew.
    Stay safe!"

I have a question, so when these gun stores lock up at night they just leave everything in the cabinets, on the shelves & walls. If it where my shop a hour before close everything would be locked in a big ass safe in the back store room of the store & that safe would be inside a heavy duty cage, like those old school jail cells. I cannot understand if this isn't done, also all the ammo would be locked up also. I would just get to the store earlier to put it all back out, thinking this would be safer idea to me.

As stated in the about quotes, most of the guns are locked up. Only a few lower end pistols weren't. Those were the ones stolen. Also stated, 100% of them will be locked up for now.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Did you read the prior posts in the thread. This was addressed as to the guns multiple times. Ammo? Does anyone lock up ammo in a separate safe? I doubt people would have room for that in an actual safe. Big box retailers have large amounts of ammo sitting on floor and shelves... they are going to move that back and further every night?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have a question, so when these gun stores lock up at night they just leave everything in the cabinets, on the shelves & walls. If it where my shop a hour before close everything would be locked in a big ass safe in the back store room of the store & that safe would be inside a heavy duty cage, like those old school jail cells. I

How much would the safe in side a cage cost to put in?
    What would be the cost of losing that floor space to display?
    If you figured 4 hours a day (2 to lock up, and 2 to get out IE low estimate for most shops) how much would it cost annually in labor?
    How much would you have to raise prices of your product to do business like that?
    Would you still be able to sell cheaper than the computer so folks didn't buy online to save 5 bucks?
    Scratches on guns from the constant in and out lowering value?

Labor is not free. Materials are not free. SQ footage is not free. Its a risk vs reward decision that every business owner has to make for themselves. If you make the wrong decision you might find yourself out of business.

Last edited:

Pinger5560

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2016
    Columbia City
    How much would the safe in side a cage cost to put in?
    What would be the cost of losing that floor space to display?
    If you figured 4 hours a day (2 to lock up, and 2 to get out IE low estimate for most shops) how much would it cost annually in labor?
    How much would you have to raise prices of your product to do business like that?
    Would you still be able to sell cheaper than the computer so folks didn't buy online to save 5 bucks?
    Scratches on guns from the constant in and out lowering value?

Labor is not free. Materials are not free. SQ footage is not free. Its a risk vs reward decision that every business owner has to make for themselves. If you make the wrong decision you might find yourself out of business.
    I agree with your statement but you could make the firearms in the case just show pieces. You could still do trigger pulls rack the slides, get the feel of the firearm but the real one would be locked in a safe in the backroom of the store. So all firearms on display would be dummies. I know that at Shot Show they do this, why not in a gun shop.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN

Have you ever owned or worked in a retail establishment? What you are proposing is mind boggling to do daily. The cost to pay someone to do that twice every day is expensive and you can hardly expect the shop owner to do it for free as they already do plenty of other non-paying task every day. How safe is it for the owner or an employee to be there alone early and late with bad guys knocking on(in) the door?

I agree with your statement but you could make the firearms in the case just show pieces. You could still do trigger pulls rack the slides, get the feel of the firearm but the real one would be locked in a safe in the backroom of the store. So all firearms on display would be dummies. I know that at Shot Show they do this, why not in a gun shop.

Who is going to pay for and maintain all these fancy fake guns?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

Just so Im sure Im following, your saying they could take 1 of every firearm in inventory, and make it a non firing demo?

If so that doesnt address the other expenses, and if the non firing demo got stolen, the shop would be out the exact same money as if a real one got stolen because they would have to buy a real one to replace it.

At shot Remington etc sets up. Remington has a larger budget than every gun shop in the state of Indiana, much less 1 shop. What you are proposing, took a problem that was going to be say a 50k investment, and roughly 20k annually (assuming 15 per hour, and 4 hours per day, and 330 open days a year) into a much higher original investment. A bigger gun shop with that business plan would definitely have a multi million dollar startup cost. which is a tough debt to pay with a markup as low as guns.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Yep, just keep raising that barrier-to-entry for LGSs, and subsequently raising the price of firearms. What could possibly go wrong?

At some point, common sense will prevail, and people will recognize that placing more and more burdens on law-abiding people does absolutely nothing to prevent the actions of the lawless.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I know that at Shot Show they do this, why not in a gun shop.

If so that doesnt address the other expenses, and if the non firing demo got stolen, the shop would be out the exact same money as if a real one got stolen because they would have to buy a real one to replace it.

Exactly. The difference in cost between a working pistol and a non working pistol is probably within .50 cents of each other, or it may cost more for the non working model.

Depends if they remove the firing pin all together or if they pay someone to grind it down so it doesn't protrude

Having the shelves full of non working demos would be ridiculously expensive and ultimately ineffective. I'm sure criminals would find that they can get firing pins off of ebay, Numrich, or Brownells; and it would be another case of running a business would be impossible.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Have you ever been in a gun store? Get a clue!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Yep, just keep raising that barrier-to-entry for LGSs, and subsequently raising the price of firearms. What could possibly go wrong?

At some point, common sense will prevail, and people will recognize that placing more and more burdens on law-abiding people does absolutely nothing to prevent the actions of the lawless.
    It's just common sense!

Top Bottom