• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    OK.....Here's my thing with Glock safe action pistols. I'm 23, so I've basically grown up with Glock being the cool pistol to have. In the last 20 years, it has basically been THE pistol, the neatest thing since sliced bread, a pistol that the police carry, the "gangstas" carry, its in movies, rap songs, tv shows, R. Lee Ermey's mattress, you name it. I have watched the pistol come into pop culture fruition. So, when I got pistol aged, guess what I had to have? and I love it. I love my G22 Detroit Police gen 2 trade in. I also like the Glocks grip angle and the way they point, and the .40s&w round is a hoss. Fanboy rant over. For your pleasures....... Movies and Shows with Glocks, just to name the ones that come to mind.....

http://www.questbrowse.com/?tmp=redir_bho_bing&prt=QstbrsPB&keywords=guns+in+movies

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Not again! Look out :gaychase: :eek:. Oh wait I own more 1911's than I do Glocks already. Shew I am safe, trust me 1911's and Glocks can co exist in a persons safe/carry rotation. I've been doing it for years. I love both styles for many of reasons! Thankfully I have still evaded that S&W flu going around. :):

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    To the OP, I live by the creedo "out of sight out of mind." Yeah sure, we can say we will write letters or call every year at Xmas blah blah blah...

Lets be honest here, you are dead to me. Ho much for the Glock? I will go $350 sight unseen. You can keep all but 1 mag.

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Not again! Look out :gaychase: :eek:. Oh wait I own more 1911's than I do Glocks already. Shew I am safe, trust me 1911's and Glocks can co exist in a persons safe/carry rotation. I've been doing it for years. I love both styles for many of reasons! Thankfully I have still evaded that S&W flu going around. :):
    OMG! How can anyone deal with the different feel of the triggers of two different kinds of guns? Is it really possible?

(Dude, keep quite on this, it is to our advantage if people BELIEVE it can't be done.)

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    I have owned several Glocks and still my fav is the Glock 21 (.45). I own a STI .45 Auto..great gun, but "if" I had to protect myself the Glock would get the nod. I too wanted a 1911, got one...it is a precision piece with a great trigger but for practical purposes I like the Glock. Shooting the 1911 I have a bad habit of somehow hitting the mag release when shooting the gun with 2 hands..not good. The Glock is not pretty or fancy looking but it is a very reliable "tool". I shoot good groups with both...perhaps better with the Glock which is surprising.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    To the OP, I live by the creedo "out of sight out of mind." Yeah sure, we can say we will write letters or call every year at Xams blah blah blah...

Lets be honest here, you are dead to me. Ho much for the Glock? I will go $350 sight unseen. You can keep all but 1 mag.

I'm crying on the inside.:):

Rambler

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    I don't see why anyone should be surprised that a heavy pistol with a very light and short single action trigger and a 5" barrel should not be easier for anyone to shoot more accurately than another platform, as long as the platform fits your hand properly. 1911's have been making mediocre shooters look good for decades now.

Anyone who does not possess the skill to master modern handgun technology, with its lighter weight, advanced corrosion protection, increased modularity, lower cost, ease of maintenance and higher ammunition capacity, has my condolences.

:cool:

Last edited:

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I don't see why anyone should be surprised that a heavy pistol with a very light and short single action trigger should not be easier for anyone to shoot more accurately than another platform, as long as the platform fits your hand properly. 1911's have been making mediocre shooters look good for decades now.

Anyone who does not possess the skill to master modern handgun technology, with its lighter weight, advanced corrosion protection, increased modularity, lower cost, ease of maintenance and higher ammunition capacity, has my condolences.

So, what you are saying, is that the 1911 is a better platform for inherent accuracy, and anyone who doesn't care to put in more effort, time, and practice on a Glock to accomplish the same level of performance is lazy?

Umm, to me it sounds like a matter of choosing the right tool for the job. If one tool is more accurate and easier to use for most people, then why does it make sense to advocate that people pass it by and instead use something that takes more work and effort to achieve the same level of proficiency, if they are able to at all?

I see what you are trying to say, but your argument of "we should all use the latest trendy thing simply because it's more modern and 'with it'" does nothing for me.

Rambler

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    So, what you are saying, is that the 1911 is a better platform for inherent accuracy, and anyone who doesn't care to put in more effort, time, and practice on a Glock to accomplish the same level of performance is lazy?

Umm, to me it sounds like a matter of choosing the right tool for the job. If one tool is more accurate and easier to use for most people, then why does it make sense to advocate that people pass it by and instead use something that takes more work and effort to achieve the same level of proficiency, if they are able to at all?

I see what you are trying to say, but your argument of "we should all use the latest trendy thing simply because it's more modern and 'with it'" does nothing for me.

Trendy? Yeah, for the last 25+ years or so. Heck of a trend. :):

I didn't say anything about laziness, you did. It could probably even be argued that I am the lazy one, as I don't feel like messing with the maintenance required of the 1911 platform, nor do I want to lug a heavy, low capacity pistol around when for the same size and weight, I can get a much higher capacity platform in the same caliber.

If the ability to achieve a 1 inch group, as opposed to a 2 inch group at a static range on a paper target is more important to someone than the inherent advantages that a modern polymer frame handguns offers for serious self defense use, then by all means one should pick their tool to suit their need. I concern myself more with combat accuracy, carryability, capacity and ease of use/maintenance than with warm fuzzies at a static range.

An excellent shot with a polymer frame handgun will likely be a phenomenal shot with a 1911, but outside of target shooting, I don't see how this trumps the advantages of a modern polymer frame platform for everyday carry. Others may differ in their assessment. To each his own. I hit what I aim at just fine with my G23 and M&P 45.

:twocents:

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    glock are for throwing a gun in the trunk of my atv, if it get scratches no big deal, cause it's not collector piece, it's just a tool & nothing more

Very good point. The handgun is a tool. You don't have any chromed out vice grips or hammers with Hogue grips, do you?

That being said. I don't have a Glock, would take one if you gave it to me, and like an aesthetic looking tool (my wife says that to me too).

Last edited:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I don't see why anyone should be surprised that a heavy pistol with a very light and short single action trigger and a 5" barrel should not be easier for anyone to shoot more accurately than another platform, as long as the platform fits your hand properly. 1911's have been making mediocre shooters look good for decades now.

Are you always this condescending or only on the internet? Lolz

I am surprised this thread got this far without a glock fanboy getting his panties in a bunch. :laugh:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Here a quick thought I would like to throw into this discussion. Since we live in a free-market country (sort of) where we let the market (the aggregate of all sellers and buyers) make the decisions about what tools are in demand, why not look at the people/organizations that have the most usage for handguns and see what they carry? I would say this group is composed of the police and other related/semi-related professions such as defense contractors who work in war-zones. I cannot vouch for what the majority of police carry (although Glock seems popular in this circle) but an article I read about defense contractors (written by a defense contractor) said that he and his buddies carried Glock 17's. Conclusion: Glocks seem popular in law enforcement type fields, and no doubt there is a reason for this.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I own several 1911's and love all of them. Nothing wrong with a glock, a sig or whatever you prefer. I also have a very nice HK USP in .45 ACP that is a tack driver but I still prefer the 1911. You can not argue with 100 yrs. of improvements.

Rambler

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    Because they're cheap and are "good enough for government work"

When "government work" includes confronting armed bad guys on a regular basis, and needing to be equipped with an effective tool for the job, I'm more than happy to choose what's "good enough."

I suppose we'll skip over the fact that the 1911 was only "good enough for government work" for the last few decades, and now isn't even good enough for that. :):

Rambler

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    Are you always this condescending or only on the internet? Lolz

I am surprised this thread got this far without a glock fanboy getting his panties in a bunch. :laugh:

Glock fanboy? I had no idea that Glock made my M&P 45. No wonder that thing is so damn good. :)

A 1911 fanboy complaining about someone being condescending. Now THAT is rich! :):

Top Bottom