• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diablo750

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Middletown
    I recently went on the search for 22lr again and had no luck. While in the store I noticed a number of air rifles and plenty of pellets for them. Some of the boxes said 1200-1300 fps. I was wondering if anyone has done any small game hunting sucessfully with them. I like the idea of a good air gun becuase you can stock pellets in large quantity at low cost, they should be nearly silent, and no gun powder is need. If anyone knows alot about them I would like to hear some reccommendations on which ones to get as well as considerations for a good survival one (like if c02 or pump is better). Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Mech45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    NWI
    I have been thinking about getting one for a while now, mostly for inexpensive pratice and pest eradication. After having researched it for a while the Marauder is the one I like the best. You can run it on CO2 or compressed air, off a air tank or with a pump. Reviews have claimed that it has been effective on up to raccoon size varmints in .22 caliber, is very quiet and accurate. It is on the pricey side, especially when you consider you have to put a scope on it since it doesn't come with sights, but it supposed to be very well made. HTH

Chris

Benjamin Marauder Air Rifle

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You can spend as much as you want on air rifles!

From el Cheapo $50 special to several thousand dollars.

And every where in between.

The 1200-1300 fps stuff is generally only for the super lightweight pellets. They may not be adequate for certain game - but I honestly don't know.

The Pyramid Air site linked above is a fantastic research AND purchasing resource.

From what I've read (I don't own an air rifle) the PCP-type are the way to go.

If you invest, be sure to also invest in quality made-for-air-rifles scope and rings. Traditional firearm equipment may not work - especially with spring-actuated pellet guns.

-J-

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    They work great on small game. Took a pesky praire dog @ 50 yds with one a couple years ago. Also lets you practice in your back yard with coke cans and plywood for your backdrop.

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    Air Guns are no longer a kid's gun. Manufacturers are upping the velocity and caliber compatibility so much that you can kill large game (think elk size) with air guns. Granted its pricey but it's so worth it.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I dont want to spend the kind of money these things are going for. I cant see spending that much for a pea shooter when my .22LR guns can do the same with the right ammo. I shoot those Super Colebri and have quietly killed a lot of crap over the years and even target practice with them in the back yard.

I am not sure on accuracy but I know the new air rifles have plenty of killing power for small game. The quality is what scares me for the money. I dont know how well they will hold up. With a .22LR you can have it for life. I wore out a lot of break barrel air rifles in my past and gave up on them.

I did manage to get my paws on a Gammo Whisper model and shot a bunch of chip monks that were digging up my lawn. It blew their guts right out at thirty yards. Anything beyond that the accuracy tapered off. Cheesy gun and to keep cocking it sucked. My 10-22 will easily out shoot the gamo and all you have to do is manualy cycle the bolt shooting the Colebri. Anything within 30 yards will be stone dead.

Beardown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Southern Indy
    I've been looking at airguns too, but agree with sniper 79 - I can get a 22 rifle for just as cheap. The only reason I was looking at them in the first place was availability of ammo and possibly as part of a survival Kit. Other than that - I'd rather spend the same money on a decent 22lr. If the ammo situation doesn't change soon I may change my mind.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    guys I have been looking also. also seeing if I could build something like Lewis and Clark took on their trip. found this site during my search

Quackenbush Air Guns

dont see any .22 doing this

catfish
    in all likelihood, you won't see any airgun doing that either. the big quackenbush rifles are about as elusive as the ingo Bugatti Veyron; they're out there, but the chances of getting your hands on one are incredibly slim.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    My wife and I have 3 break barrel air rifles 2 gamos and 1 hatsan. They help her to practice the fundamentals at a very low cost and allows her to get use to a scope. I've taken squirrel with mine. She did get a possum but only after 15 shots. The first was square between the eyes. I would of gone and got my revolver or 9mm if it wasn't 1030 at night to finish it humanely, but I told her to keep going gotta finish the job even though its not right. Its also fun when you have one of the spinners and make up games to pass the time in your own backyard.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yes, Mel Tappan was an advocate of keeping air rifles.

Perhaps you can give us a budget and we can make recommendations. We are blessed to live in a golden age of air guns.

1. What do you want to do?

2. How much money?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I dont want to spend the kind of money these things are going for. I cant see spending that much for a pea shooter when my .22LR guns can do the same with the right ammo.

When you live in an incorporated area that prohibits the discharge of firearms, the value of an air gun surpasses that a .22 you cannot shoot without risking running afoul of the law.

Particularly when you have livestock that you would like to protect from urbanized wildlife. It's also a much better choice for dispatching critters that need dispatching for humane reason. Like, say, your dog found the rabbit's nest and loved the poor babies almost to death. Almost, but not quite.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    in all likelihood, you won't see any airgun doing that either. the big quackenbush rifles are about as elusive as the ingo Bugatti Veyron; they're out there, but the chances of getting your hands on one are incredibly slim.

I have been waiting over a year just to get on the waiting list for a build! I want the .458 not only because of the raw power but because I can cast for it as well since I already do for the .458 socom.

trgore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2013
    South West Indy
    I am looking to get one as well. From what I have read it looks like a really good option. virtually silent , cheap ammo , light weight , no regulations

Kryptonite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Living in the city limits I've had to learn to defend my vegetable garden with a Gamo Shadow rifle with scope, and a wrist rocket. The Gamo is a break barrel 1000 FPS and has seen a lot of action for 10 years. Still going strong. I've taken down many rabbits, groundhogs and raccoons with her. The newer models are even better. Highly recommended.

Top Bottom