• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    That's a valve spring compressor like everybody said but it looks like the one I have for B&S and Tecumseh small engines. The side screws are for loosening or tightening the arms depending on the size of the spring. Maybe the specialty tool manufacturers sold the same tool for flathead car, truck and tractor engines

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Here is an engine similar to the one I worked on as a teenager.

This is the car my Dad had, ours was blue.

View attachment 218996

Seeing that tool brought back memories of the coolest car my family ever owned.

I apologize for the thread hijack.

Cool car D.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Here is another one... Any idea what this is?

View attachment 219005
    That looks like a radius setting tool. I assume the movable part is a roller also. I have a very similar tool (but smaller) for putting the proper radius on Guitar fret wire so that it rests in the radius of the guitar neck. It is a far more accurate method than trying to pound them in and having to file the pieces into perfect alignment.

PS, I just looked up Creedmore's answer, if the movable part is a cutting wheel, Creedmore is right, oil filter cutter. I cannot imagine why anyone would need that kind of tool.

Last edited:

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Here is an engine similar to the one I worked on as a teenager.

This is the car my Dad had, ours was blue.

View attachment 218996

Seeing that tool brought back memories of the coolest car my family ever owned.

I apologize for the thread hijack.
    My Dad had a Kaiser too, a little older than that one, and also blue. I remember to open the doors from the inside you pushed a big button with a buffalo on it.

Kernelkrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2016
    grant county
    That looks like a radius setting tool. I assume the movable part is a roller also. I have a very similar tool (but smaller) for putting the proper radius on Guitar fret wire so that it rests in the radius of the guitar neck. It is a far more accurate method than trying to pound them in and having to file the pieces into perfect alignment.

PS, I just looked up Creedmore's answer, if the movable part is a cutting wheel, Creedmore is right, oil filter cutter. I cannot imagine why anyone would need that kind of tool.

Some obsessive types cut their oil filters open after they change them to inspect what was caught by the filter. No visible parts besides black "dirt", engine fine. Couple valve keepers and a timing chain plate, might be time to consider trading in...

Back in the day when I was changing oil on semi engines, some weird stuff came out those gigantic drain plug holes on a Cat engine. Like a walnut, no idea how it got in there as no opening on the top was large enough for it to pass. Then there was the big "E" clip on the magnet on a Cummins drain plug. Gave it to the owner/operator, he probably stayed awake a few nights wondering when the engine was gonna blow!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

It does a cut without filings so when inspecting the filter material, its not been compromised.

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    SE Indy
    I am looking for binker fluid. I am having trouble finding it since everyone is going to LED's.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke

Engine condition is a big deal to some.
    "Another form of engine oil analysis is to cut open the oil filter and examine what it’s trapped and prevented from recirculating throughout the engine. In addition to being a bit messy, this task may require an oil filter cutter. An oil filter cutter is preferred because alternatives like a hacksaw may contaminate the filter element before you can inspect it"

link to oil filter cutter sold to HiPo crowd.

Reactions: Leo
    Top Bottom