• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    I know, I know... There's many owners out there.

My question is, is there an INGO member that would be willing to meet to let me give your PF9 a couple shots? I want to get a feel for how much muzzle flip there is in it. I want to compare it along side my Kahr PM9. Basically trying to see if my wife is going to adopt a $600-$700 gun or a $270 gun.

Anyone? I'm free Wednesday - Saturday every week, will meet at a local range. You can shoot my PM9 if you would like to get a feel for the kind of recoil it has to offer as well!

Moderators - Sorry if there's a better thread for this, couldn't seem to see one better fit than the Handgun section itself.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I can answer this for you if you want, having shot both the KelTec PF9 and the Kahr PM9. Buy once, cry once, get the Kahr. Better trigger, less recoil, better construction. The PM9 is an accurate, reliable, comfortable companion. I was not impressed with the KelTec at all. Recoil made the gun difficult to manage and created a lot of malfunctions due to limp wristing. I was the only person that could shoot the gun reliably until others changed their shooting technique. In contrast everybody the shoots my friends Kahr PM9 comments how impressed they are with how it shoots.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Thanks for the replies. I already have the PM9, absolutely love it. Would the PF9 not even be the kind of gun that you do not go out shooting regularly, but rather learn it and carry it to depend on it with your life?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Thanks for the replies. I already have the PM9, absolutely love it. Would the PF9 not even be the kind of gun that you do not go out shooting regularly, but rather learn it and carry it to depend on it with your life?

Edit: I apologize and misread PM9 vs. PF9. The PM9 is a fantastic gun! Please take my foot out of my mouth and put everything back into proper context. I don't like the recoil of KelTec PF9, I enjoy shooting the Kahr PM9.

The statement in red is a bit of a contradiction. The gun that you carry to defend your life needs to be something that you shoot enough to feel comfortable with its reliability. The two KelTec PF9s that I have shot were not fun and both proved to be somewhat finicky about shooting technique. The PF9 is a handful to say the least.

The Kahr PM9 has a lot less recoil. Only downside is that it is a bit hard to rack the slide.

The PF9 is the kind of gun that offers a lot of value if a person is looking for a pocket sized subcompact 9mm.

Last edited:

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Is the PF9 slide easier to rack than the PM9?

Right now, that's my BIGGEST concern for my wife. I would honestly not even mind if it kicked her like a mule at this point, she needs a gun she can fully function on her own. My PM9 is easy as pie to rack, as easy if not a little easier than the Glock 19 Gen3 it replaced. But she struggles with it

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Right now, that's my BIGGEST concern for my wife. I would honestly not even mind if it kicked her like a mule at this point, she needs a gun she can fully function on her own. My PM9 is easy as pie to rack, as easy if not a little easier than the Glock 19 Gen3 it replaced. But she struggles with it

I personally thought it was. Only problem is that small automatics like those are going to be hard to rack. Just not a lot to grab onto. The Kahr in particular seems to have a really stiff recoil spring. Maybe that is just the gun I was shooting. All of this is very subjective though.

What concerns me is that the recoil of the KelTec seems to lead to problems with limp wristing. At least the ones I shot. As long as you held onto them they ran fine. What if she needs to shoot with one hand, or from retention?

Maybe a Glock 26? My wife has arthritis and gets along very well with a Walther PK380 which might be another viable option. Maybe look at some of the offerings from Bersa. Ruger now has the LC9. Or just give her your Kahr.

I do think the KelTec is a best value in their price range. I also think there are better guns in the market right now.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County

Having both, jmo my PM9 (5000+ rounds) is a lot easier to rack/shoots/handles a whole lot different than my PF9 (150-200 rounds). I would guess the PF9 would get easier to rack with use, but I just don't find it a comfortable gun to shoot, perhaps 50 rounds maximum at a time. The trigger pull is long enough you can have lunch while your waiting. Have you thought about having her look at a five shot 38. Load, point, shoot.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Love mine. Recoil isn't that bad. I shoot a few boxes in a sitting.

But then again, I'm not a lady or a girly-man.

boileralum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Indy
    Just to throw out another option -you might try the Kahr CM9. Same trigger as the PM9, slightly different construction (barrel has standard rifling vs the polygonal rifling on the PM9), and only $379 at Bud's.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I know they are not exactly the same but if you wanna try a P11 give me a shout.
    I love my P11. I have around 800 rounds thru it without hardly any FTF or FTE. The gun runs fine. I did order the metal recoil guide rod for it to replace the polymer one it came with.

piercedjp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    I have a PF9 with the hogue slip on grip and, although it is snappy, it is not unmanageable. I live in the indy area and would be willing to meet you at a range to put a few rounds through it if you are still interested.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I run a computer shop about 1 mile south of Indy Trading Post. I'd be happy to meet up Wednesday or Friday for a little shooting. You can shoot my PF-9.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I had a P-11 and I have a PF9 now.
    There is no comparison.
    The trigger is much heavier and longer on the P-11.
    The PF9 is similar to the PM9 but the Kahr is smoother than the Kel Tec.

CM9 is an excellent suggestion.
    Bob had them for $409? $419? at Plainfield Shooting Supplies last time I was there

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Wow! Thanks for all the input here guys :).

At this time I do think I'm going to move thoughts away from the Kel-Tec. I like the idea of giving the wife a CM9. It basically is a PM9, just less milling on the slide.

THANK YOU FOR THE INPUT, INGO!

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Wow! Thanks for all the input here guys :).

At this time I do think I'm going to move thoughts away from the Kel-Tec. I like the idea of giving the wife a CM9. It basically is a PM9, just less milling on the slide.

THANK YOU FOR THE INPUT, INGO!

That's probably a good choice. :yesway:

Top Bottom