• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Thinking about one myself now... Since the law changed a few years back me and dad carry during deer season for 2 legged predators, and sitting in a tree stand with a belt holster and cold weather gear is a little tight... So my handgun normally goes in my pack... A should rig might solve that problem nicely...

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Fit is everything. I have a horizontal "Miami Classic" shoulder rig with dual mag pouches on the right side, I'm right handed.
    It will hold a full sized 1911 but I carry a Star PD .45, which is just about the same but shorter and much lighter.
    I wear it under a button down shirt, over a "T" shirt in cooler weather and I leave one of the buttons open so that I can reach through and retrieve it if needed. That way it cannot be seen if I have my coat off. It works

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Not sure what the OP really wants to know. :scratch:

Are the questions specifically about shoulder rigs for the 1911 only, or rigs in general?

Have several shoulder rigs, but don't current carry a 1911-type auto.

MOST versions have a belt attachment loop available. Preference on manufacturer would be whomever one likes I suppose, as it appears most of the holsters makers have at least one shoulder rig available.

JMO, but unless the handgun is very lightweight, a 'balance' on the opposite side of the holster helps considerably. Something like a double mag or speedloader pouch, cuff case, knife sheath, etc. The belt attachment loop helps if one chooses not to have offside accessories, but the rig then wants to droop and shoulders will tend to feel off-balanced.

The first choice to make is whether to carry the gun horizontal or vertical. Longer barrels are easier to carry vertical, but 4" - 5" or less can easily be carried horizontal, or with a slight tilt, depending on preference.

No more 'difficult' to wear than a hip rig, and more comfortable, generally speaking. JMO, again.

Personal preferences are Black Hills Leather, and Fist.

LOL Input,Thoughts, Recommendations maybe just a thought here.

kobra

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I've used the 5.11 Tactical holster shirt. The material is like Underarmor and wicks away moisture. A little harder to get to your weapon but it's really comfortable. Plus it's not firearm specific. It has a pouch under each arm. I've carried 1911, Glock 22, Sig Pro 2022, etc in it. The off side pocket I usually carry 2 or 3 mags and a flashlight. Balance is great and doesn't sag. Here's the link. Holster Shirt | 5.11 Tactical Concealed Carry Undergear Shirts.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have 4 or 5. I wear a Don Hume w/1911 and twin mag pouches that I absolutely love. It's got wide elastic over the shoulders and lower neck area. It gives with body movements and still stays in place. I don't get tired in any way wearing it. It's very comfortable and stable so I know where my weapon will be at all times. Some rigs move around so much that it's virtually impossible to get a clean hand on your weapon.
    I also have the original Galco which I don't ever wear due to the thin straps that dig into my shoulders.
    I had one custom made "Bandito" style for twin 1911s I wear when I visit an area that I'm not comfortable in.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I had a Fobus shoulder rig that was adjustable for cant, didn't care for it, but it wasn't a high end setup and the straps were a little thin. I wouldn't recommend it for all-day comfort.

My :twocents:

GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    I have a Miami Classic knock off..Armadillo Leather I think is the maker...have had it a couple of years and it still looks brand new....has a doubke magazine pouch on the off side... carry a full size 1911 5" Government Model in it...I am not that large of a guy so I have the rig adjusted so that the muzzle is slightly higher than the grips so the muzzle is up closer to the arm pit...this serves two purposes....

1) puts the grips at a much more ergonomic angle for my firing hand.

2) with the muzzle up almost under my armpit, I don't "print" out the back side of blazer.

I believe I may have paid $50-60 for my rig

1911 nut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2010
    Nothwest In.
    I use an Alessi Bodyguard for my SW1911,a Safariland 100 for my Browning Hi-Power & a double Galco Miami classic for my twin Detonics Combatmasters.

Ford Truck

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Franklin Twp., DeKalb County, Ind.
    Uncle Mike's, it's not exactly a "high quality" rig, but it's comfortable & doesn't flop around.
    U5cWl2R3hwjLei2PXzwargcqh2RZajcUlV9mjTRHi8y9uzlaeFvYNw==.jpg

arctic427

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Indy
    I have an original Miami classic and a jackass that I've had for over 20 years both still work very well especially with a 4 mag side pouch to balance them out .

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I have a nylon shoulder rig for my Colt Double Eagle (it is a Stainless steel handgun similar to a 1911 but SA/DA without safeties). The rig is comfortable but a bit hard to conceal, does clip to belt and has pocket for magazine. Used to wear it quite a bit but haven't wore it for a while due to the need to wear a jacket or similar to conceal. As I have aged, (now 73), I seldom wear the clothing that allows me to hide the rig. Don't spend much time either in the cold (or excessive heat). When I have carry the Colt lately, I use an Uncle Mike ITB holster in the small of my back. I have carried some smaller guns a lot lately (38 Spl Derringer and 9mm etc.).

trackersranch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2014
    Greenwood
    Hats off to you guys who carry with a chest rig. I worked in one for years and it always chaffed me by the end of the day. It got to the point that I had to wear heavy t-shirts to keep down the discomfort. Wife always told me to toughen up:)

Top Bottom