• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krizzz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    I've decided to make the leap to red dot on my carry gun, but only if I can still co-witness with the iron sights. The problem is trying to find the right combination of pieces.

• Mid-sized Pistol (CZ P10C, HK VP9, Canik TP9, etc)
    • Co-witness BOTH sights (some guns remove the rear sight to add the red dot)
    • Night sights (Must be suppressor height sights from what I have been reading, even with the notched RMR ready pistol. Can anyone confirm?)

• "Always On" Red Dot (like Trijicon RMR 2)
    • IWB Holster that will work with said suppressor-height sights & Crimson Trace Green Laser (or similar)

So when it's done, it will have night sights, red dot, and laser. Yes, overkill but I don't cut corners with my carry gun.

I know this is VERY specific, but I'm hoping someone else set up something similar and has recommendations.

Thanks!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have no input but I'm curious to hear what people will say. I just ordered a red dot for my pistol to try out. I got a dovetail adapter for now and if I end up liking the red dot, I'll get my slide milled.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm interested as well. Just picked up a 2020 VP9 and put a Holoson 507c V2 on it. Haven't shot it yet but I'm already on the hunt for taller sights to co-witness.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Seems it would be counter productive to have both the laser and the RMR. Would be different training, etc I'd think. I can understand wanting to cowitness for sure, but not along with a laser. Interested to hear what the more versed in these topics have to say.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't like suppressor height sights. I've got so many repetitions presenting my pistols with standard sight heights that suppressor height requires a pronounced changed in presentation to bring them up to where they should be and that isn't a change I'm willing to spend the time on for the advantages of a red dot.

Fortunately, Shield RMS and US Optics offer red dot sights which will cowitness with standard height sights and that has been my choice. Whether the RDS is there or not I can still present the pistol like I have tens of thousands of times and get on target. Call it old dog not liking new tricks or whatever you'd like but as much as I like Trijicon I won't have an RMR on a pistol for this reason.

SEcF16Zh.jpg

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    How much are you willing to spend ?

w8boM1Yh.jpg

ujhPXZUh.jpg

You can't mount a laser but as stated above why put an RMR and a laser on the gun? Also might want to think about the night sights, I like my sight window to be as uncluttered as possible and three extra glowing dots I don't need.

TT Gunleather makes a IWB holster that will fit a Staccato with an RMR or a Delta Point Pro. I have my Stacatto set up with a DDP the STI DUO kit comes with an RMR adaptor plate and cowitness sights as well (all done by Dawson Precision so the work is amazing)

This fits the bill , but is expensive as hell

And size reference , exact same size as a Sig P-320 X-Carry and Glock 19 x

Link to holster

https://www.ttgunleather.com/product-page/slim-xc

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Glock 19 MOS w/RMR and suppressor height Trijicon. Had to adjust a little as phylo states but been carrying them for several years and now am use to them.

Bob

krizzz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    All - Really appreciate all the EXCELLENT feedback.

- Didn't know there were red dots that worked with standard height sights. Bonus!
    - Great points around night sights and laser. Sounds like it will cause more harm than good. I'll have to try out different combos to see what works best for me.

Appreciate all the recommendations.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I was initially a little skeptical about the red dot on a carry gun thing, probably because I tried it early on before we had so many good choices but i'm liking my current set-up.

z1GqxWG.jpg

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Im heavily into this but for me ive never quite been able to pull the trigger.

Im surprised no one has mentioned the sig Romeo 0 or jpoint as they are way less inexpensive co witness capable micro red dots. My issue is ive got a sig p365 and as soon as i find a place to finally sell me a sig romeo 0 or j point ill be doing the conversion. No one seems to have either in stock currently, but if your just starting to think about this then the wait might work out. Both models use the same milling and mount pattern of the rmsc while the trijcon is different being a bit wider.

krizzz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Im heavily into this but for me ive never quite been able to pull the trigger.

Im surprised no one has mentioned the sig Romeo 0 or jpoint as they are way less inexpensive co witness capable micro red dots. My issue is ive got a sig p365 and as soon as i find a place to finally sell me a sig romeo 0 or j point ill be doing the conversion. No one seems to have either in stock currently, but if your just starting to think about this then the wait might work out. Both models use the same milling and mount pattern of the rmsc while the trijcon is different being a bit wider.

Is the Romeo 0 and/or Jpoint shallow enough to co-witness with stock height sights?

krizzz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Ill have to check but the point of it is that it has the rear sight notch built into the red dot to replace a stock rear.

Makes sense. I'm assuming that the rear sight will end up raised with this design so it would likely need a suppressor-height front to go with it. I'll do a little digging to see what I can find out.

Top Bottom