• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have on a few rifles over time. Never an issue past having to do a deep clean on the chamber in one of them with a brass brush on a cordless drill. Fixed the issue and off to the races. Accurate enough for the intended use. Just not a super duper group shooter at any real distance.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I have on a few rifles over time. Never an issue past having to do a deep clean on the chamber in one of them with a brass brush on a cordless drill. Fixed the issue and off to the races. Accurate enough for the intended use. Just not a super duper group shooter at any real distance.
    Gotcha. What is the furthest distance you've shot with them?

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Just be advised, they are made by Bear Creek Arsenal for Midway USA, if that matters to you. I've ran one of their barrels in 7.62x39 and it was battle accurate with steel case ammo (I think maybe 2-3 moa?). No issues quality wise, but it was very overgassed, especially with my suppressor on it, so it eventually got an adjustable gas block. They do dimple the barrel for a gas block, so I did like that.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Just be advised, they are made by Bear Creek Arsenal for Midway USA, if that matters to you. I've ran one of their barrels in 7.62x39 and it was battle accurate with steel case ammo (I think maybe 2-3 moa?). No issues quality wise, but it was very overgassed, especially with my suppressor on it, so it eventually got an adjustable gas block. They do dimple the barrel for a gas block, so I did like that.
    Thanks. Is there an alternative that is better quality and more accurate that can be had for less than $300?

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    We had a SS Stoner 16" barrel in 223 Wylde about 4-5 years ago. It was quite accurate with hand loads out to several hundred yards.

YMMV

One thing you give up with lower cost in quality control and consistent variations within tolerances. I might get a good one. You might get the last one before the tooling was replaced.

Not to stear you away from Stoner as I am not the AR expert but....I might also look at Ballistic Advantage for a budget barrel.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    We had a SS Stoner 16" barrel in 223 Wylde about 4-5 years ago. It was quite accurate with hand loads out to several hundred yards.

YMMV

One thing you give up with lower cost in quality control and consistent variations within tolerances. I might get a good one. You might get the last one before the tooling was replaced.

Not to stear you away from Stoner as I am not the AR expert but....I might also look at Ballistic Advantage for a budget barrel.
    I have a BA on my 10.5" SBR and like it.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    ARStoner is the king of inconsistency. You can nearly track the different manufacturers by reading the reviews. Generally now they seem to be exclusively using bear creek barrels, but I have had and seen other stoner barrels by satern.

Would I get another, no. Just not worth rolling the dice to get a bear creek. Sometimes you can find high quality parts with the stoner brand. Their triggers by schmid tool are exceptional, but again they could easily swap oem without changing the upc and you end up with a garbage anderson monstrosity...

Lesson here, midway will change oems and keep the same product code.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Thanks. Is there an alternative that is better quality and more accurate that can be had for less than $300?
    I have personally used and installed for others Ballistic Advantage with great success, in multiple chamberings. Faxon is another good one as also mentioned, though I haven't used them personally, I know plenty of others have without issue.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have personally used and installed for others Ballistic Advantage with great success, in multiple chamberings. Faxon is another good one as also mentioned, though I haven't used them personally, I know plenty of others have without issue.
    I have used Faxon. No issues.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Ballistic Advantage makes Aero Precision barrels I've got a few of them. Just like any barrel you have to find what it likes and feed it accordingly.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I just got a 16" AR Stoner .350 Legend Barrel from Midway. Still waiting on a handguard, so we will see how it works. I have a BCA 7.5" .300 BLK barrel that shoots well, so I am not anticipating issues with this barrel.
    I also have several Ballistic Advantage barrels and they are awesome.

Top Bottom