• ...and so much more!
  • bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Not necessary for a defense build.

Floating it is for accuracy at distances greater than your home. It eliminates any torque you may induce with a sling or bipod.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Lot's of good comments so far. You are probably getting more confused, lol. I agree with the SSA-E. I have used those on several builds. Great triggers but for HD you can use a decent single stage trigger and be fine. I like the ALG ACT also.

Yes, keep the barrel short.

Though all my rifles have fixed stocks, an adjustable may be better indoors.

I do also agree with a shotgun. The way my house is, unless I am chasing someone out the door, a shotgun will be the preferred tool in my case. YMMV.

If you are building your upper and lower from scratch checkout:

Joe Bob Outfitters
    Primary Arms
    Palmetto State Armory
    Planet Optics
    Weidnors

I just search for the best pricing. I have built three that I didn't buy one part from Palmetto State Armory and I currently have two in progress that I bought completed uppers for. It just depends on the deals at the time for me.

And I would bet my life on my builds actually over and above a factory rifle. If you can't say this, then I agree with a previous poster who suggested you purchase a complete rifle.

Merry Christmas!

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    For HD use, you only need to be able to hit at close range, but you will have to do that very quickly, so you will want a red dot sight. Since lives are on the line, you will not want to skimp on an inexpensive chinese make pos. I use an Aimpoint Comp M4s. It's built like a tank, and the battery lasts a very, very long time. I just leave it on, and change out the battery once a year as a safety measure.

There is a very high likelyhood that any engagement will happen at night. The ability to determine who is making the noises in your house at 2am is VERY important. Is it a bad guy with evil in his heart, or just your son coming home from college for the weekend as a surprise? You will NEED a bright durable weapon mounted light.

A shorter weapon is much easier to move with in an enclosed area, so going the SBR route is well worth it. IMHO. I rebarreled my SBR in .300 Blackout to get the most out of short barrel efficiency.

Noise will be a factor. Touching off a rifle round indoors is VERY loud. I know, I've done it too many times... Many people (including myself) think a suppressor is nice to have. I will have one when I can afford it, but I'll take more hearing loss if that's what it takes to save the life of a family member. Electronic hearing protection works well, but you may not have time to do anything other than grab the rifle and respond.

As far as what parts to use, that is all mostly your personal choice. Pick what you like, and what fits your budget. I have built ARs on old Bushmaster receivers, and newer Spikes Tactical ones... As long as the receiver is in specs, you're good to go. Typically for an AR build you want a good quality barrel, BCG, trigger, sight, magazines, and ammo. The rest is all just supporting equipment. Shopping for used parts can save you a big chunk of change. Check out sites like here at INGO to find stuff for sale.

Side note: Keep a charged cell phone handy. While you respond to the intruder, your wife/husband/somebody (unless you live alone) should be on the phone with law enforcement. Make sure they are aware that the homeowner is armed. Once they arrive on station, you follow their directions to the letter without delay. It would suck to be shot by a cop for defending your own home.

Good luck on the build, and may you never have to use it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I prefer all of my AR's barrels free floated. It's a side benefit of the long rail I want so that my "driving hand" can ride farther out towards the muzzle. Also makes a place for the weapon light and extends the distance between the BUIS.

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    Planet Optics
    Weidnors

I'm assuming you meant Optics Planet instead of Planet Optics. What is Weidnors? A Google search doesn't give anything that looks familiar.

It sounds like a suppressor is highly recommended by most. Is it worthwhile looking for a barrel with one integrated or possibly shortening the barrel and fixing one to it? My guess is no, but thought I'd ask.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Right now my HD set-up is 5.56 with a 10.5" bbl and a can on an SBR.

I have a .300 BO with a can waiting for more testing, then it will go on that HD SBR lower. It has an 8.5" barrel.

Still get a lot of concussive force in confined areas with the cans. The 5.56 is louder than the 300 BO, but until I vet the new upper some more it will remain a range gun.

You can have a suppressor pinned to a short barrel to save an extra tax stamp, but for me I want to be able to move the cans around if need be. Dedicated HD weapon would not be moving stuff around, but if you change the set-up then you are stuck.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm assuming you meant Optics Planet instead of Planet Optics. What is Weidnors? A Google search doesn't give anything that looks familiar.

It sounds like a suppressor is highly recommended by most. Is it worthwhile looking for a barrel with one integrated or possibly shortening the barrel and fixing one to it? My guess is no, but thought I'd ask.

Oops! You are correct. Must have had Planet Fitness in my head. Though I have never been to one. lol.

The other website is below:

https://www.wideners.com/

I guess my dyslexia was kicking in pretty good.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    My primary HD rifle is an 8" .300blk SBR with a can and subsonic ammo. My secondary is a 5.56 10.5" SBR with a can and standard ammo. Both have Vortex Red Dots on them. I built both of them up from stripped receivers.
    I prefer non-integrated suppressors. That way I can move them around as needed.
    Dan

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    Right now my HD set-up is 5.56 with a 10.5" bbl and a can on an SBR.

You can have a suppressor pinned to a short barrel to save an extra tax stamp, but for me I want to be able to move the cans around if need be.
    Hmm. That's an interesting point I hadn't considered, but leads to some more questions:

1. I'm not familiar with tax stamps. I understand I would need one for the can, but would I need a second for the barrel (under 16") or the assembled rifle if I don't pin the can?
    2. Can you purchase short barrels alone or would you have to have a longer one modified? Or, do you have to purchase a full upper? Where?
    3. How difficult is it to find rails for such a setup? I'm guessing you would have to float it.
    4. Let's assume I want red dot, folding backup sights, and light. Is there enough room for a vertical grip as well?
    5. Would you mind posting pics so I can see your rig?

stern1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2010
    Anderson
    Yes you would need one for the can and one for the short barreled rifle. If you made it a pistol you would not need one for the gun.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    My primary HD rifle is an 8" .300blk SBR with a can and subsonic ammo. My secondary is a 5.56 10.5" SBR with a can and standard ammo. Both have Vortex Red Dots on them. I built both of them up from stripped receivers.
    I prefer non-integrated suppressors. That way I can move them around as needed.
    Dan
    What ammo do you use in the 300 that you trust? I have yet to find any subsonic that wasn't ballistically pretty much like .45 acp. Leaning toward 110 gr tipped which are supers but still well into hearing safe.

Hmm. That's an interesting point I hadn't considered, but leads to some more questions:

1. I'm not familiar with tax stamps. I understand I would need one for the can, but would I need a second for the barrel (under 16") or the assembled rifle if I don't pin the can?
    2. Can you purchase short barrels alone or would you have to have a longer one modified? Or, do you have to purchase a full upper? Where?
    3. How difficult is it to find rails for such a setup? I'm guessing you would have to float it.
    4. Let's assume I want red dot, folding backup sights, and light. Is there enough room for a vertical grip as well?
    1. Stamp for the can (unless they get the hearing protection act to work out this year). If going rifle (buttstock that you can legally shoulder) and barrel under 16" then that is another stamp. Only for the lower though, so you can switch uppers as you see fit with just one stamp. Works great for AR type rifles.

2. You can find the short barrels or pay to have a long one cut and re-threaded. I had my .22 lr cut because it was 5.5" and I wanted 4.5" to keep bulk ammo subsonic. Build your own upper or buy one. Either way is fine. Don't have a short upper without a stamped SBR or a pistol lower. Doubt any problems would occur but I think it is constructive intent and not cool in ATF's book.

3. Rails are just as easy for these as any other. I actually want to get a longer rail for my 300 blackout so it will nest more of the can. Looks better and gives a longer sight radius. Plus keeps me from grabbing the can when it gets hot. I free float mine, but that's up to you and what you plan to do with it.

4. vertical grip only if it is an SBR, no go on pistol. Plenty of room. I have all that on mine. grip at six, light at 3, optic at 12. Other ways to configure it. Rear sight and probably optic will be on the receiver and not the rail

5.I will see if I can find a host site again and post a couple pics. Mine are not all that uber cool looking, but they get the job done thus far.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany

1. Yes. If the total length of the barrel and any permanently attached devices is less than 16" you need a stamp as you've manufactured an SBR. This is measured from the bolt face to the end of the farthest permanently attached device. If the suppressor (or flash hider/brake/compensator) can be unscrewed, it doesn't count towards the length.

2. You can purchase short barrels without a stamp for use with an AR pistol. If you put a stock on it becomes an SBR

3. Easy. Pick the length you want...

4. VFG on a pistol less than 26" is a no no. Whether there's "enough" room is user preference.

5. 7.5" pistol on top of a 10.5" SBR

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    1. Stamp for the can (unless they get the hearing protection act to work out this year). If going rifle (buttstock that you can legally shoulder) and barrel under 16" then that is another stamp. Only for the lower though, so you can switch uppers as you see fit with just one stamp. Works great for AR type rifles.

So you get a stamp on the lower and not the barrel? Does that mean you just stamp the receiver portion and can swap out anything else (including the barrel) and have it still be on the same stamp? I guess I need to do some more research on NFA stamps.

2. You can purchase short barrels without a stamp for use with an AR pistol. If you put a stock on it becomes an SBR

5. 7.5" pistol on top of a 10.5" SBR

Pardon my ignorance here, but what's the difference between the two? How is one classified as a pistol, but the other is an SBR?

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    Note the strap on the stock of the bottom one (the pistol). Also note the stock on the bottom one as well. It's is used as a brace to put your forearm into and strap it down. You can't legally put it to your shoulder like a normal rifle. Because it isn't a rifle, it's a "pistol". You can however put your cheek to it for extra support and skip the strapping it down part.

st8kfinger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2016
    north east
    I have a palametto mid length melinite rifle on an aero lower with more fixed stock, moe handguard, olight warrior light on detachable mount, carry handle rear sight, and a simple sling. It was under $700 for everything, its simple, no rattles and reliable. The first few mags in ran through it were brass case and after that i only shoot wolf and tulamo with zero issues. I keep 2 p mags in it hooked together with a mag link, one mag is loaded with xm855 and the other has xm193. The rifle is cheap life insurance, I use it for home defense and it spends a lot of time in my truck and if it gets stole or taken for evidence I'm not out colt or bcm money.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    So you get a stamp on the lower and not the barrel? Does that mean you just stamp the receiver portion and can swap out anything else (including the barrel) and have it still be on the same stamp? I guess I need to do some more research on NFA stamps.

Pardon my ignorance here, but what's the difference between the two? How is one classified as a pistol, but the other is an SBR?
    Heavy pretty much explained it. The top one (SBR) has a buttstock that you can legally shoulder with a registered SBR and the bottom one (pistol) has what may look like a buttstock but it's actually a Sig Forearm brace which the BATFE ultimately declared (after a bit of waffleling) that you cannot shoulder it. Basically you cannot have a buttstock on a pistol or use any other device to shoulder it. That would classify it as an SBR which is a BIG NO-NO without a tax stamp.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What do the cops/detectives do about an AR with a stamp or two that is used in a self defense shooting? How long will they keep it?

Top Bottom