• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    So like everyone I have my list of wants and next is the AR. Right now I'm still in the saving process and starting to do a little research but I have a few questions for the AR owners out there. My big problem is the budget so if I go with a cheaper one I can get it sooner than later. I would like to get some opinions on the lower budget models out there and weather or not I should wait until later when I can afford a better one. The main use will be plinking at the range. Also I'm not the type that has to have the best or the fanciest, personally I'll take twice as many cheap guns as long as they are reliable. Looking forward to some input.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    what is your budget?

for $775 out the door, i bought a complete lower and a complete upper to make a mil-spec A4 clone. i would hesitate from getting a cheap gun just so you can have one. Everyone has their brand favorites, and I don't want to get into a pissing match. Just remember that

a) not all ARs are created equal
    b) a "lesser" AR may very well suit your purposes. you don't necessarily need Brand X if you're a plinker like me.
    c) buy what you really want. if you really want a Daniel Defense, then buy a Daniel Defense. Don't by a DPMS Sportacle just so you can have an AR.

ymmv $0.02

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    Spikes M4 LE for 800 bucks, you will have to wait as they are behind, same quality materials and construction same proof testing as Colt at the price of a "good cheap" AR. Spikes Blows away any DPMS,Olympic or any of the other midrange AR's for the money!

BluDeuce

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Northern IN
    Check RRA's web site. I got my complete lower with adj stock for $300. @ midwest gun exchange. Also look at armslist.com you can find some good used deals on there!

save up for a good lower, then save up for a good upper. that way you don't have to fork out all the $$$ at once.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I recently picked up an S&W M&P Sport. Lower budget AR with a manufacturer who will stand behind it without a doubt. Tradeoffs on this model include no Forward Assist, and no dustcover. From what I've read if I were to go up a few $$ I would either go Spikes or up to another model S&W M&P, but as it stands I have no complaints about the Sport as yet.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    I recently picked up an S&W M&P Sport. Lower budget AR with a manufacturer who will stand behind it without a doubt. Tradeoffs on this model include no Forward Assist, and no dustcover. From what I've read if I were to go up a few $$ I would either go Spikes or up to another model S&W M&P, but as it stands I have no complaints about the Sport as yet.
    THIS
    I bought mine in March. I love it...tight groups, has a flat top, easy to accessorize and cheap....mine was just under 750$ out the door. I slapped a cheap red dot on it while I save for a decent scope. I have always heard buy the first one and build the rest....the black rifle disease is terminal. they multiply

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    There is no untruth in my statement! No bad advise! Only pointing the man toward the best buy in a "budget" AR.

Save extra 100/200 bucks and get a quality rifle even if it takes a short while longer! It will be worth the wait down the road in durability and end cost.

Lets say the OP buys a RRA for $900(going price around here) because its good enough now. OP gets serious and decides to get trained and learn to really run that rifle hard. Now he finds out his good enough rifle doesn't run well enough to step up to the next level. He decides to upgrade it so it will allow him to take it up to the next level. Time to upgrade the bolt and carrier, upgrade the barrel to the more durable material, upgrade the buffer to boost functional reliability I.E. more controlled cycling and reduce bolt bounce etc etc. So he buys an new barreled upper, mil spec auto bolt carrier and bolt, good buffer at minimum. He just spent 500/550 hard earned bucks to get where? 1400+ bucks in a rifle he could have had for $800 bucks to begin with thats where!:twocents:

No offense to owners of any certain brand or model intended at all. Not bashing any particular brand.

:popcorn: worthy post then or now? :nono:

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    Ok so far getting some good feedback thanks. I have noticed nobody has mentioned anything about exploring the used market. Would this not be a good idea due to me not being familiar with the AR?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    THIS
    I bought mine in March. I love it...tight groups, has a flat top, easy to accessorize and cheap....mine was just under 750$ out the door. I slapped a cheap red dot on it while I save for a decent scope. I have always heard buy the first one and build the rest....the black rifle disease is terminal. they multiply

What all did you get with it? Mine was $599 + tax from BGF

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    There is no untruth in my statement! No bad advise! Only pointing the man toward the best buy in a "budget" AR.

Save extra 100/200 bucks and get a quality rifle even if it takes a short while longer! It will be worth the wait down the road in durability and end cost.

Lets say the OP buys a RRA for $900(going price around here) because its good enough now. OP gets serious and decides to get trained and learn to really run that rifle hard. Now he finds out his good enough rifle doesn't run well enough to step up to the next level. He decides to upgrade it so it will allow him to take it up to the next level. Time to upgrade the bolt and carrier, upgrade the barrel to the more durable material, upgrade the buffer to boost functional reliability I.E. more controlled cycling and reduce bolt bounce etc etc. So he buys an new barreled upper, mil spec auto bolt carrier and bolt, good buffer at minimum. He just spent 500/550 hard earned bucks to get where? 1400+ bucks in a rifle he could have had for $800 bucks to begin with thats where!:twocents:

No offense to owners of any certain brand or model intended at all. Not bashing any particular brand.

:popcorn: worthy post then or now? :nono:

Hey, didn't intend for it to be taken that way. My apologies.:yesway:

No longer than I have been afflicted with the black rifle disease I've learned it CAN be a touchy subject.:D Personally I bought a DPMS, not the "finest", but it will serve my needs. I have upgraded several things on it already that from studying up are prone to failure on the 2nd tier AR's. I also just mounted up a Palmetto State Armory 14.5" upper on it today. Can't wait to get out and shoot it.:yesway:

I have no plans on playing soldier, or dumping mag after mag in a fire fight with it so after running hopefully 1000-2000 rounds thru it this summer I will know what/if anything is prone to failing. I know that is not alot compared to what some shoot, but hopefully will be enough to show any short comings. I would like to take a course for the training and run mine hard if nothing more than to prove to myself it will without failure. That is my plan for next year sometime.

Just my :twocents:, but I decided to buy a 2nd tier AR to be able to get into them over spending ALOT up front. I admit I have spent about 3/4 or so of the price of the rifle on upgrades.:n00b: That's not including the TacSol .22 upper I bought too.:rolleyes: Now if only someone still made an upper in .44 mag I'd be in heaven.:laugh:

These things are addicting!:yesway:

Last edited:

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    Hey, didn't intend for it to be taken that way. My apologies.:yesway:

No longer than I have been afflicted with the black rifle disease I've learned it CAN be a touchy subject.:D Personally I bought a DPMS, not the "finest", but it will serve my needs. I have upgraded several things on it already that from studying up are prone to failure on the 2nd tier AR's. I also just mounted up a Palmetto State Armory 14.5" upper on it today. Can't wait to get out and shoot it.:yesway:

I have no plans on playing soldier, or dumping mag after mag in a fire fight with it so after running hopefully 1000-2000 rounds thru it this summer I will know what/if anything is prone to failing. I know that is not alot compared to what some shoot, but hopefully will be enough to show any short comings. I would like to take a course for the training and run mine hard if nothing more than to prove to myself it will without failure. That is my plan for next year sometime.

Just my :twocents:, but I decided to buy a 2nd tier AR to be able to get into them over spending ALOT up front. I admit I have spent about 3/4 or so of the price of the rifle on upgrades.:n00b: That's not including the TacSol .22 upper I bought too.:rolleyes: Now if only someone still made an upper in .44 mag I'd be in heaven.:laugh:

These things are addicting!:yesway:

That 14.5" upper has a pinned/welded flash hider making it 16" I hope, otherwise it's an NFA item requireing a tax stamp to own in a rifle configuration. Or it can come with a butt load of trouble if you don't have the NFA tax stamp/paperwork with it!

No problem, almost everyone gets the bug and goes upgrade crazy.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    That 14.5" upper has a pinned/welded flash hider making it 16" I hope, otherwise it's an NFA item requireing a tax stamp to own in a rifle configuration. Or it can come with a butt load of trouble if you don't have the NFA tax stamp/paperwork with it!

No problem, almost everyone gets the bug and goes upgrade crazy.

It has a pinned flash hider bringing it up to 16" so I'm good. Stupid law IMO. Still shorter than the barrel the rifle came with though. I had been looking at the BCM 14.5" upper but they never seem to have one in stock. I'll admit I didn't know about the NFA thing and wondered about the two different 14.5" uppers BCM sells. Google is your friend!:yesway: Now I know.

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    Good. Don't want anyone bringing that load of shat down on themselves!
    Do a review on that Palmetto upper after you dump some rounds dow it. I don't think we have had a reveiw of one of theirs yet.

BCM sells out batches fast! Their stuff is top drawer and in demand. I have Colt, BCM and Spikes AR's can not give one an edge over the other except for the buffer in the spikes when comparing them "out of the box" so to speak. All my AR's are currently running Spikes ST-T2 or DD T2(from Palmetto State) buffers in them with the Spikes stainless steel buffer springs! IMHO a good upgrade for any carbine.

Last edited:

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    You could attend Pat Roger's basic carbine class at Boone County Sheriff's Dept this July and use one of his T&E rifles. You would need to supply your own ammo (he won't let you run russian ammo in the T&E rifles), round count is 750 rds. Contact soon, and inquire about the T&E guns, he has several but they are first come first serve.

Here is the link
    E.A.G. Tactical

If you are at all interested in the AR platform, this is the way to go. Get 2 days of training from a well respected instructor using one of their weapons, gives you a chance to see what you think you need before you drop money on your own weapon.

Last edited:

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Good. Don't want anyone bringing that load of shat down on themselves!
    Do a review on that Palmetto upper after you dump some rounds dow it. I don't think we have had a reveiw of one of theirs yet.

BCM sells out batches fast! Their stuff is top drawer and in demand. I have Colt, BCM and Spikes AR's can not give one an edge over the other except for the buffer in the spikes when comparing them "out of the box" so to speak. All my AR's are currently running Spikes ST-T2 or DD T2(from Palmetto State) buffers in them with the Spikes stainless steel buffer springs! IMHO a good upgrade for any carbine.

I'd planned on doing a review of sorts on the Palmetto upper. Might take awhile though due to work schedule.

I'm running the Spikes ST-T2 buffer in mine. Worth the money IMO.

Mkbar, I'll look into that course. You are not allowed to run your own rifle?

Top Bottom