• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Blue loc tite is plenty strong. I would take it and the tools for the gas block to the range, once you're sure it's running right is when I would apply the loc tite. It does take some effort to "break" the blue free after it sets up.
    Good luck and let us know.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'd use a good lube like EGW Slip 2000 or similar on the bcg. Run it wet.
    I wanted to inquire as to the ammo you were shooting. I've seen some of the Tula and similar with lacquer and poly coating clog up the chamber to where the spent brass didn't want to eject.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    If you get a chance to pick some up, Rocksett is probably a better option than loc tite for the gas block and/or muzzle device. Not that loc tite doesn't work for many folks, but Rocksett holds up >2000F.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Screw rockset. I like to be able to take my **** apart without a headache or cutting it off. If someone is that worried about their gas block coming loose (which it won't do if you follow the steps above) then buy a
    gas block that in addition to the set screws also has a hole to be pinned on. Like noveske and BCM uses. Which requires work to the barrel to set up. Once again take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    It's already blue locktite up. Was shooting wolf gold and pmc ammo. I won't run steel case anymore through my guns except ak. Gonna take a spare bcg which I know functions and my tools just incase.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    It's already blue locktite up. Was shooting wolf gold and pmc ammo. I won't run steel case anymore through my guns except ak. Gonna take a spare bcg which I know functions and my tools just incase.
    Don't get spooked by steel case. I run it through all my guns as well as brass ammo. No issues. If your gun is built right it will run anything.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Screw rockset. I like to be able to take my **** apart without a headache or cutting it off. /QUOTE]

Maybe I'm not using enough, but I've used Rockset before, and it really wasn't that hard to take off. I didn't slather it on there but I thought I put enough on it to make a couple brakes and a flash hider stay....and they popped off without much hassle

When your gun is built right it will run anything.

Corrected that for you, we already know that the initial builder screwed the pooch ;)

I'll run steel in my P415 every once in a great while, but still prefer brass in everything

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A

I had problems with PMC Bronze out of a Larue AR. Called Larue, they told me that PMC Bronze, CBC, and steel cased ammo were a no no in their rifles.
    I have since sold the Larue back to it's original owner with full disclosure about the ammo. I have never ran CBC (actually never even heard of it) or steel cased ammo through any AR I have owned. But apparently the PMC Bronze is under powered according to the guy I spoke with at Larue.
    I'm not going to participate in a brass vs. steel debate, but I do have to agree with TT, I want an AR that will run anything that is thrown at it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had problems with PMC Bronze out of a Larue AR. Called Larue, they told me that PMC Bronze, CBC, and steel cased ammo were a no no in their rifles.
    I have since sold the Larue back to it's original owner with full disclosure about the ammo. I have never ran CBC (actually never even heard of it) or steel cased ammo through any AR I have owned. But apparently the PMC Bronze is under powered according to the guy I spoke with at Larue.
    I'm not going to participate in a brass vs. steel debate, but I do have to agree with TT, I want an AR that will run anything that is thrown at it.

I have ran a lot of PMC Bronze with zero issues. Have been hearing from a few people lately it is becoming troublesome. Not seen it here but I have not bought any new PMC for a while as we are using the older stuff from the stock pile.
    Not one to run the steel through any of my guns. Not up for debate either.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Make sure both screws are removed, knock the gas block back into place and apply blue loctite to the screws and reinsert making sure the block is straight. Probably no blockage.
    also clp burns off quick. I'd use a heavier lube

This. If the gas block walked forward, the builder didn't use loktite and I would guess zero blockage. The hole in the barrel to push gas back is small and if the block walked forward semi substantially the bcg would be kicked back little to zero.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Blue locktite as others have recommended. Some gas blocks are designed to have the forward-hand guard end plate in place so if you don't have that the gas block could be slightly to much to the rear. Look for marks on the inside of the gas block from the bbl gas port to make sure its aligned. Change to a different BCG and make sure yours is cleaned and lubed up. YMMV.

:ingo:

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    If you get a chance to pick some up, Rocksett is probably a better option than loc tite for the gas block and/or muzzle device. Not that loc tite doesn't work for many folks, but Rocksett holds up >2000F.

Rocksett is always my recommendation. I've built over 3 dozen ARs and currently own 7. I use it on gas blocks and suppressor mounts. It's never come loose when I didn't want it to.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. Being that I don't work at a shop with paying customers... only 3 dozen. Kinda getting burnt out on the AR platform though so time to see where that leads me.
    I'm just messing with ya though for real. I think the real lesson as you know id have someone that knows what they are doing work on your guns. We live in the age of every bubba is building AR's with the cheapest parts they can find or without the proper knowledge. Then we are left to fix the peoblems. It's a mess out there lol.
    people who just think a rail is a rail or all bgs's are created equal then cry when their gun doesn't work.
    Not meaning you OP just in general

Top Bottom