• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoda14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2023
    Tippecanoe county
    what do you guys advice debating on getting an AR15 or an AK47, I know that in regards to accuracy the AR is superior but the fact that the AK can pretty much fire under any condition and it requires less maintenance is quite appealing.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    what do you guys advice debating on getting an AR15 or an AK47, I know that in regards to accuracy the AR is superior but the fact that the AK can pretty much fire under any condition and it requires less maintenance is quite appealing.
    1. The AK cannot fire under any condition, that notion is a gun shop commando myth harbored by the gun culture for a long time. It can be defeated by a shovel and wheelbarrow.
    2. It requires the same maintenance as any other firearm. Fewer parts perhaps but that does not mean you can neglect it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Both are solid platforms, your threshold understanding/criteria is less than optimal.

Threshold question is akin to hand tools or golf clubs=>what do I want to do with this gun?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    A high quality AR-15 will outperform a High quality AK. Both will be reliable, however the AR will be much more accurate and you can shoot it much farther out, is easy to change calibers, and you can add just about anything you want to an AR rifle.

Even chainsaws.....
    1680379601224.png

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    If you can only get 1 get the AR. They are not unreliable as some think. And as far as an AK durability we had a rental one get a cracked receiver so they can break as much as anything else.

And while sure an AK is neat personally it feels about as poorly balanced Rifle as there ever was. Just to me anyway.

Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    If you are just getting into guns and want a do-it-all tool without spending too much, you can get a mid-low-grade AR like PSA or Ruger for under $600. I haven’t noticed much difference between those and high-grade ones. Parts are interchangeable, upgrade, customize, whatever. .223 ammo is widely available, find a good deal and stock up on it. Practice.
    Decent AKs are in the $800-1k range, ammo is spottier and prices fluctuate more. Parts between manufacturers are not always compatible. Get that when you have extra money.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I have both. I shoot my AR-15 semi-regularly. I only shoot the AK-47 if someone is visiting and wants to try it out. There is a world of difference between them. In fact, I bought 2000 rounds of ammo when I purchased my AK about 10 years ago, and still have a fair amount of that original ammo left. Its only advantage is the AK will shoot any garbage ammo with no problem. I learned long ago my AR is pickier.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    I have Both.
    Inherited the AK (Probably would Not buy one) & Bought the AR.
    Shoot em Both, but Prefer the AR.
    JMO-if Shooting anything past 75yds, the AR is preferable.

Top Bottom