• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    The dilemma AR vs AK? If both are well kept then either one is good. If your not going to keep them in top working order then the AK. Cheap AK vs cheap AR I lean to the AR. Too many problems with cheap AK's, bolt problems, head space issues, to name a few. Cheap AR's feeding issues, poor fitting reliability to name a few. Buy yourself a good AR, and don't cheap out on it. Fire a thousand rounds thru it without cleaning. If it still works, you have a keeper. During my younger days in service our armour had a real russian AK we would take it out every time we went to the range. In order to load it the first time you had to kick start it to get the bolt working. After that it ran fine. But it was a real russian gun! You can't buy one now at a reasonable price. Looking at what I have now I have spent over $1500 for my AR's and know they are good rifles that work in all weather and decent ammo .

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    AR. Every day and twice on Sunday.

Comparable reliability, better ergos, better sights, better accuracy, cheaper and easier to find parts in the US, more versatile design with greater aftermarket support, easier to service on an armorer level, cheaper and easier to find ammo (and it's reloadable, not this steel-cased Berdan-primed garbage)...the list goes on.

The only reason I can think of that I'd want to own an AK is simply to have one...and I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. But the AR is more practical in every way.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Back in the day AK was just cheaper to buy and shoot, but these days...

I think the AK platform is more of a sensory enjoyment than an AR.

The ballistic behaviors of the 7.62x39 round are a little worse than the 5.56 at distance, but if you want to shoot through a wall, AK will be a bit more effective up close.

To buy, I would say AR just because the abundance of parts and pieces. Also, doomsday folks would point out there will be a lot of AR mags and ammo lying around if we ever melt down.

Lodge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Johnson Co.
    It makes me laugh every time I read ARs are such a "delicate" rifle. Always needing special treatment or they'll shut down and go to their room to pout. Not True by any stretch.

I own four. 2 purchased off the shelf, 2 builds. My first AR was a Colt LE6920 in 2013. I've run every type of ammo you can think of through it (steel case, cheap crap, match grade, expensive stuff, 40 grain VMax to 77 grain Buffalo Bore) and it has always performed as expected- perfectly. I clean it periodically but not religiously. I do keep it lubed but not overly so.

I've worked on a couple AKs. Not impressed. A cheaply made rifle with loose tolerances. Sure they work. They were manufactured as an inexpensive rifle with simple, cheaply produced parts. That was/is the criteria. Not aesthetics, not accuracy, not elegance of parts or action, simply a rifle that doesn't cost much to produce and runs dependably. And they do. That criterion has made them the biggest selling rifle in history. Meh.

Not that I'm hating on AKs. The biggest selling rifle in the world. They obviously work well.
    Just not my thing.

If ARs sucked they wouldn't be the biggest selling rifle in America.
    If AKs sucked they wouldn't be the biggest selling rifle in history.

All depends on what you want or need from a rifle.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Start by doing your homework, OP. INGO is but a chapter, or more likely a footnote, in a book you need to read. "AR" does not equal all ARs. "AK" does not equal all AKs. There are a lot of generalities and inaccuracies already stated in these 1.5 pages of thread. If my username and avatar didn't give it away, I am biased. As is everyone here. I vote AK all the way, 100% of the time but that's just me. Ask yourself a few questions:
    • Why do I want this gun?
    • What will be this gun's primary role? Its secondary?
    • What is my budget?
    • Do I want to customize the gun? If so, how?
    • Am I concerned about long-term ammo, magazine, and accessory supply, demand, and price?
    • Am I concerned about long-term collectibility and value?
    • Am I concerned about reliability, both short and long term?
    I love AKs. I don't hate ARs, but they bore me to absolute tears. Again, I emphasize the "I." Figure out what you want, why you want it, what you want to do with it, your budget for it, and go from there. Read more posts from me or find other AK threads on INGO to see what kinds of AK variants many of us diehard AK guys like (spoiler alert - it ain't American) and don't like (domestics < imports); watch a ton of YouTube videos (Rob Ski/AKOU, Mischaco, KLAYCO47, 9-Hole Reviews, etc. etc.); shoot a few variants of both options; double up on the Depends diapers, create an AK Files account, and dive into that wonderful basket of deplorable despair; and then make a decision.

Then buy both and see which one reproduces like a rabbit. And if it isn't the AK, sell it to me. As long as it's not American-made.

gsxr219

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 6, 2020
    NWI
    AK with a 8.5 barrel is a pretty good time! Now that x39 subs are creeping up on 300 blk, shory AKs are losing that battle too.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Besides the aforementioned wheelbarrow & mud test, I like the tests done by Garandthumb, with both freezing and mud tests, that should finally put a nail in the coffin of "preconceived notions" about modern battle rifles.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    AKs are starting to get more expensive than ARs, which wasn't the case a decade ago. Working on ARs only require an armorer's wrench and magwell vice grip for most jobs, while working on AKs is a little more involved. I couldn't even put a clamp mount on mine because the rivet configuration was incorrect. Personally if I was going to have a serious 7.62x39 rifle, I would probably invest in an ACE Galil.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    It is interesting to go to the range during the day during the week when it is older retired guys there hanging around... they never look impressed
    That's because they're more interested in Colt SP1's, Colt Gold Cups, Marlin 336's and Remington 870 Wingmasters

Yoda14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2023
    Tippecanoe county
    1. The AK cannot fire under any condition, that notion is a gun shop commando myth harbored by the gun culture for a long time. It can be defeated by a shovel and wheelbarrow.
    2. It requires the same maintenance as any other firearm. Fewer parts perhaps but that does not mean you can neglect it.

well I've also seen the mud test done differently where both guns get the same amount of mud inside the chamber and in the magazine and ak get apron a 75% fire rate and ar gets like a 50%

Yoda14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2023
    Tippecanoe county
    The cheapest AK I'd recommend would be a PSA GF3 at around the $600-650 mark. Next one from there would be a Romainian WASR but those are $800+
    AKs are getting expensive
    amazing thank you for the info ill definitely look into them, would you say there's a huge difference in quality?

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    amazing thank you for the info ill definitely look into them, would you say there's a huge difference in quality?
    Potentially. Most PSA AKs are fine but there's still some that are a miss. Guys still have issues at times. If you can shoot an AK and get a feel for it during an afternoon of a couple hundred rounds then you can decide whether it's something you like well enough to own and keep. If you can't find someone to let you shoot theirs or a rental range then the cheaper PSA wouldn't hurt so much if you don't care for it much and want to sell it. But if an AK is something that you'll love then skip the American made stuff and save your pennies and start with a Zastava M70 at the $950 price point.

Top Bottom