• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Gotcha, must be a pretty good piece if big name foriegn gunmakers start making them.
    Wonder why they don't make a fancy upgrade AK .

In addition to the others mentioned, there is also the Israeli Galil ACE. And these days there are a ton of factory and aftermarket upgrades from a bunch of nations, for just about any milled or stamped receiver AK variant.

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Actually I was referring to the big manufacturers like Sig and H&K. They make AR clones, but dont seem to make a AK clone with their name on it.

SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    I like both and I think everyone would benefit from owning both. I shoot AR more than AK.
    All that aside, in the book and movie Blackhawk Down they are picking up ejected rounds from jams off the floor to reload when they are running out of ammo. Now that is scary!

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    I like both and I think everyone would benefit from owning both. I shoot AR more than AK.
    Agree 100%, you need to LEARN how to operate both; firing and clearing malfunctions, just in case the need ever arises. Wish I could find the video link...but as Clint Smith says: you need to be a student of weapons craft. What better way to do that than owning both!

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    I love AKs but I wouldn't recommend to anyone who isn't already into them.

When I got into them, Russian ammo was <20cents a round. Quality surplus steel mags <$10 each, bakelites and Bulgarian waffles around $20. Russian and Bulgarian rifles were <$800. WASRs were around $400. Preban Chinese and MAK90s everywhere. Kits, barrels, parts were dirt cheap and everywhere.

Now, all of the above is getting hard to find or exorbitantly priced. Russian ammo banned. Prices above have doubled, tripled and even quadrupled in some cases.

I'm in deep, so I'm gonna keep playing. But for the new guys, I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze.

If you absolutely have to have an AK, go 5.56. Galil ACE, FB Radom Beryl, or Zastava M90. All solid AK rifles that shoot the 5.56 round. Do not buy a PSA, import only!!!!!

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    Actually I was referring to the big manufacturers like Sig and H&K. They make AR clones, but dont seem to make a AK clone with their name on it.

Because mass producing AKs is very difficult, labor intensive and expensive.

The commies had state owned weapon factories staffed by the proletariat. Profit margins were never a consideration.They were gearing up for WW3.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I have several AR’s and one Zastava m70 AK. I like them both, and if the apocalypse happened now and all I had was the AK, I would be fine with that. I prefer the AR though. One thing to consider is mounting any kind of optic is usually FAR easier on an AR. Most modern AR’s come standard with a flat top and sometimes a railed front end. Just pick an optic, mount if needed, and slap it on. Most AK’ do not come with a rail, high end ones yes, but not most of them. they usually have a side rail mount, but you have to buy the mount for that, plus the optic, plus maybe a mount/rings for the optic . A rail option, which I put on my M70 is an ultimak rail that replaces the gas tube on the AK. It works great, but is something extra you have to add just to get what the AR comes standard with.

Top Bottom