• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spudgunr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    NWI - Porter County
    I am looking for a convection heater around 5000 BTU or so with a gallon or larger tank. I'm looking for something to keep pipes from freezing, or to heat a single room, that can run for a LONG time witthout needing refueled, and something that would be small and light weight. Are there any modern heaters like this? I know of 10,000 or so BTU radiant designs, but I'm looking for something smaller, that is convection (because I find the radiants to have a bit more smell during running, and they take quite a bit longer to GET to a low smell state). I do like the designs that have the removable fuel tank, that would be a plus, but if it has a 24hr or so run time that shouldn't be too big of a deal.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The smallest one I saw is what I got. 10,000 btu comfort glow model r10000. Has 1.1 gallon removable
    tank and I have an extra tank for it from an older one that sat on concrete floor and rusted.

If the wick is good there is no real smell add some pine scent to the fuel if it bothers someone. Prefect little backups. Can put it next to a wall.

briand212

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Putnam County IN
    Not sure about Kerosene but Coleman made catalytic heaters that use Coleman fuel.. I have two them both are rated 5000 btu each.. they can be found on ebay pretty reasonable.

Spudgunr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    NWI - Porter County
    From my research I found the Kerosun Omni-15, around 9000 BTU with a 1.7 gallon capacity giving around 24 hours capacity. Not made though, so either will pay out the butt for it or happen across it by happenstance for next to nothing.

Then another thought hit me... I could get an Aladdin oil lamp, it should be considerably smaller AND get light from it! Getting it new wont be that much more than buying a new kerosene heater. That may be the route I go, $100-150 and be able to have light at the same time.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    From my research I found the Kerosun Omni-15, around 9000 BTU with a 1.7 gallon capacity giving around 24 hours capacity. Not made though, so either will pay out the butt for it or happen across it by happenstance for next to nothing.

Then another thought hit me... I could get an Aladdin oil lamp, it should be considerably smaller AND get light from it! Getting it new wont be that much more than buying a new kerosene heater. That may be the route I go, $100-150 and be able to have light at the same time.

Sounds like mine. That's 24 hours at full tilt. It'll run 36 hours or more if it's turned down a bit. I couldn't be happier with it.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

saberstar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Bloomington, IN
    Wifes friends parents lost electricity and so they are looking for a kerosene heater. I guess they went to a number of places around Indy and there were none to be found. Said they had sold out.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I heat my garage with my Kerosun when I want to do some tinkering out there. Uninsulated door, not very insulated ceiling, but in anything but the coldest weather (above 10 deg.), it will heat it to the '60s which is all I want when I'm working. If it's over about 25 out, I have to crank it down to about half not to be overheated, then it runs a long, long time. I've had it for about 5 years. I used to use an electric "milkhouse" heater, but it never quite kept up and was loud. Kerosene=nearly silent. Nice.

briand212

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Putnam County IN

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

Side question on this issue.

A kerosene heater looks like a great deal price wise and for emergency short term heating.

If it get a couple for emergency use they will be the only things I have that need kerosene.

With that in mind my question is: If I purchase some along with an emergency supply of kerosene how long will the kerosene fuel last before it needs to be replaced?

I know gasoline goes bad after about a year or even less, so does the same apply to kerosene?

I could see myself buying some and stocking up and not needing the bloody things for several years before power loss in winter. I do NOT want crappy fuel when I need it the most!

Regards,

Doug

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...I know gasoline goes bad after about a year or even less, so does the same apply to kerosene? ...

No. Kerosene will last at least 5 years conservatively. A fellow who claims to have been a refinery chemist online says almost indefinitely if stored properly.

I've used 10-yr-old stuff before with no issues. So, far longer than gasoline.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Sorry no links. My research on K1 storage (7-8?) years ago pointed to longer term storage was not an issue if kept in good containers sealed away from drastic temp swings. IIRC, there was a question of whether plastic containers were an adequate seal for this task? I store in metal cans showing a bit of rust on the outside, but clean inside. I can only confirm with the fact that my old Comfort Glow heater burnt that 7-8 years old K1 with the normal fury in the sub-zero temps, when we were powerless Sunday and Monday.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I am looking for a convection heater around 5000 BTU or so with a gallon or larger tank. I'm looking for something to keep pipes from freezing, or to heat a single room, that can run for a LONG time witthout needing refueled, and something that would be small and light weight. ...

Maybe it's a kludgy solution, but some kerosene lanterns put out around 1400 BTU/hr (some are made for the purpose of temp control in green houses).

Four such lanterns would put out 5600 BTU/hr and have the added potential benefit of producing light if you want/need it.

Two at 1400 BTW and two at 1100 BTU would get you to 5000 BTU a little cheaper (maybe around $18 ea).

They're small and lightweight. Burn times of 23 to 75 hours depending on the model.

So, something like this might work. Just a creative, off the wall idea.

Last edited:

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Spudgunr- may want to look at marine diesel heaters. I spent 3 days/nights on a crab boat in Jan. off Wash. state a couple yrs. back, temps in high teens at nite- Little heater in corner kept the 10X24 interior in hi 50's at night. Gravity fed from a tank on the roof,used maybe a gallon in 10 hrs. No electricity, can run nonstop for weeks. Downside is I think they run $600 or so, and use a 3" flue pipe that has to go outside

CTC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2014
    Lake County
    Check out "Butterfly" stoves and heaters on ebay, amazon, or google St. Paul Trading. They're imported from Asia where off-the-grid and/or no piped-in gas is pretty common. Various sizes are available with various numbers of yarn-type wicks for various btu outputs. Matching ovens are also available. I believe the smaller ones start at about 5000 btus. Not as expensive as Kerosun type heaters.

((A few minutes later))

Amazon has no butterfly stoves listed, ebay has a few, and it's St. Paul Mercantile, not "St. Paul Trading"...but they had a fire at New Years but they hope to be back in business in February. Google milesstairs.com for nice folksy chat about the stoves, but they just sell replacement wicks, not stoves and ovens.

Last year's West Marine catalog lists woodsie's diesel heaters for $670 for a 5,000-10,000 btu unit up to $900 for a 6,000-18,000 btu. Ouch

Last edited:

BrownDog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I am looking for a convection heater around 5000 BTU or so with a gallon or larger tank. I'm looking for something to keep pipes from freezing, or to heat a single room, that can run for a LONG time witthout needing refueled, and something that would be small and light weight. Are there any modern heaters like this? I know of 10,000 or so BTU radiant designs, but I'm looking for something smaller, that is convection (because I find the radiants to have a bit more smell during running, and they take quite a bit longer to GET to a low smell state). I do like the designs that have the removable fuel tank, that would be a plus, but if it has a 24hr or so run time that shouldn't be too big of a deal.

I came across this kerosene Stove/heater on Lehman's Hardware web site....https://www.lehmans.com/p-3571-alpaca-kerosene-cooker.aspx. It has a 4 qt tank and puts out 8500 btu.

CTC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2014
    Lake County
    Wow...sorry...amazon doesn't seem to have butterfly stoves, although ebay has a few...and it's St. Paul Mercantile, not St. Paul Trading...BUT...I went to their website and find they had a fire at New Years and aren't taking orders at the moment. They hope to be back up and running in February. You can get some fairly in-depth information at milesstairs.com where they sell wicks for all sorts of kerosene appliances.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Maybe it's a kludgy solution, but some kerosene lanterns put out around 1400 BTU/hr (some are made for the purpose of temp control in green houses).

Four such lanterns would put out 5600 BTU/hr and have the added potential benefit of producing light if you want/need it.

Two at 1400 BTW and two at 1100 BTU would get you to 5000 BTU a little cheaper (maybe around $18 ea).

They're small and lightweight. Burn times of 23 to 75 hours depending on the model.

So, something like this might work. Just a creative, off the wall idea.

My Dietz lanterns just arrived yesterday. Here are the 72 hour Jupiters:

20140115_190834_zpsbxjegx2j.jpg

Top Bottom