• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DougBarnes101

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Do those run on kerosene or lamp oil? Or both?

My Dietz lanterns just arrived yesterday. Here are the 72 hour Jupiters:

20140115_190834_zpsbxjegx2j.jpg

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana

either one..

Kerosene Lantern Frequently Asked Questions Page

QUESTION 3: What type of fuel can I use in a tubular lantern?
    ANSWER: Standard Lamp Oil, Synthetic Kerosene, or Kerosene Substitute are recommended for use indoors. Clear K-1 Kerosene with a flash point of 124 to 150 degrees is recommended for outside use.

The approved fuels for indoor or outdoor use in Tubular Lanterns and Flat Wick Oil Lamps are:
    1. Lamplight Farms® Clear Medallion Brand Lamp Oil, (#60020, #60003 aka #6300, #60005 aka #6400, and #6700 Only ) Flash Point: 145 Degrees Fahrenheit
    2. W.M. Barr & Co. Klean-Heat® Kerosene Substitute (#GKKH99991, 128oz, sold by Home Depot SKU #391-171) Flash Point: 145 Degrees Fahrenheit
    3. Crown® Brand Clear Lamp Oil (#755946) Flash Point: 141 Degrees Fahrenheit
    4. Genuine Aladdin® Brand Lamp Oil (#17552, 32 oz., and #17554, 128 oz.) Flash Point: 141 Degrees Fahrenheit
    5. MVP Group International Florasense® Brand Lamp Oil (#MVP73200, 64oz. and #MVP73201, 32 oz., Sold by Wal-Mart ) Flash Point: 142 Degrees Fahrenheit
    6. Recochem Clear Lamp Oil (#14-573, 710mL, Sold in Canada) Flash Point: 124 Degrees Fahrenheit

The approved fuels for outdoor use in Tubular Lanterns and Flat Wick Oil Lamps are:
    1. Non-Dyed (Clear) Kerosene with a Flash Point Between 124 and 150 Degrees Fahrenheit
    2. Sunnyside® Brand 1-K Kerosene (#700G1, #80132, #801G1, #801G3,and #801G5) Flash Point: 125 Degrees Fahrenheit
    3. Coleman® Brand Kerosene Fuel (#3000000270) Flash Point: 130 Degrees Fahrenheit
    4. Crown® 1-K Fuel Grade Kerosene (#KEM41, #KEP01, #KEP25, #KEM05) Flash Point: 150 Degrees Fahrenheit
    5. Crown® Citronella Torch and Lamp Fuel (#CTLP01, #CTLP02, #CTLP48) (OUTDOOR USE ONLY, cut 50:50 with kerosene to extend wick life.) Flash Point: 141 Degrees Fahrenheit
    6. Tiki® Brand Citronella Torch Fuel (OUTDOOR USE ONLY, cut 50:50 with kerosene to extend wick life.) Flash Point: 145 Degrees Fahrenheit

NOTICE: Dyed kerosene or lamp oil will eventually clog the wick and inhibit proper operation. It can also permanently stain the lamp or lantern.
    If you purchase kerosene from a gas station, make sure that it is from a "blocked" pump so that it is clear and not dyed red.
    (Un-blocked kerosene pumps by law must dispense dyed kerosene which will clog lantern wick, and cause it not to burn properly.)

FUEL SOURCES:
    Standard clear lamp oil (Lamp Light Farms Medallion Oil,) is available nationwide at: Target, K-Mart, Ace Hardware, True-Value Hardware, Sentry Hardware, and HWI Do-It Centers.

"Klean-Heat" Kerosene Substitute is available at or through most hardware stores and home centers including: Home Depot, American Eagle, Coast to Coast, Ace Hardware, True-Value, and HWI Do-It Centers.

Genuine Aladdin Brand Lamp Oil is available from Aladdin Lamp Dealers nationwide.

NOTE: DO NOT USE PARAFFIN OIL IN TUBULAR LANTERNS WITH 5/8" or LARGER WICK. (Use Paraffin only in lamps with 1/2" or smaller wick.)

NOTE: DIESEL, BIO-DIESEL AND OLIVE OIL ARE NOT SUITABLE SUBSTITUTES FOR ANY OF THE APPROVED FUELS AS THEY HAVE A FLASH POINT OVER 200 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    https://www.lehmans.com/p-175-dietz-jupiter-hurricane-oil-lantern.aspx
    Both, kinda. The large wicks supposedly clog up with the paraffin based lamp oils. I purchased Kleenheat, that's what is burning in the pic. It burns bright and doesn't smell much at all, definitely not like K1. I did buy the lanterns because they could burn the K1. The Keenheat will also burn in the K1 heater.
    https://www.lehmans.com/p-774-kleanheat-oil-lamp-fuel.aspx
    I'll be buying more Kleenheat at Homedepot for much cheaper than this price.

I bought a, smaller less expensive, Dietz Air Pilot lantern also. It came in with a broken globe so I asked them to send another one. Lehman's explained the globes were on backorder, so they were sending a new lantern, keep the broken one. Score. :rockwoot:

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    One of the other things I thought about w/the lanterns is you could distribute them to the pipes you wanted to keep running (if there was a need for that).

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    One of the other things I thought about w/the lanterns is you could distribute them to the pipes you wanted to keep running (if there was a need for that).

Dual duty is a big thing. Part of what sold me on the larger capacity Jupiters was W.T Kirkman's description: Originally designed for temperature control use in greenhouses.​

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Dual duty is a big thing. Part of what sold me on the larger capacity Jupiters was W.T Kirkman's description: Originally designed for temperature control use in greenhouses.​

Yep. They have the same BTU output as some other models (1400 btu, 7/8" wick models), but the larger capacity fount.

When I was a kid, our night illumination at grandpa's cabin was a single Coleman lantern. It was often all that was necessary to heat the place in the spring & fall. Kept the living area toasty and the sleeping areas comfortably cool. Of course the Coleman was/is pressurized and puts out more heat, but the principle is the same.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Watch your fuel!
    I have been using Kerosene Lanterns regularly for several years, and I have been getting kerosene from the local VP's bulk pump.. never had a problem until yesterday. It burned great in my Dyna-glo heater, but when I used it in the lanterns I got a run away flame..
    For the first time in several years I got Kerosene that had a significant lower flash point than normal..
    I did not notice when out in the cold, but the kerosene had a stronger than normal "paint thinner" smell ..
    I suspect they thinned the mix down to make up for the low temps this month..
    But had I lit my lantern and left it I could have bunt down my garage..

Top Bottom