• gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Medium roast for me, please...

Dark roasting the beans "kills" the flavor. Burns the oils right out.

Perhaps one day I'll get fancy and get a French press. And maybe one day way after that I'll look into a cold-brew system. But I doubt it.

If/when my Keurig dies, I'll go to French press or maybe an Aeropress.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Okay, so I'm getting into this coffee thing.

Is a Keurig really all that? I looked at one the other day and was disappointed. The pictures make them look really solid, but it's just a hunk of cheap ass plastic. And WTF are k-cups?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Okay, so I'm getting into this coffee thing.

Is a Keurig really all that? I looked at one the other day and was disappointed. The pictures make them look really solid, but it's just a hunk of cheap ass plastic. And WTF are k-cups?

I got one only because my 85 year old mother tricked me and had one sent to me via HSN or whatever that TV merchant is. I only drink one moderately sized travel mug per day and I would just make a short pot in my regular coffee maker but being able to make one cup on the Keurig faster has it's benefits for me.

If you drink more than a cup or have people who like to drink coffee throughout the day and don't mind drinking old coffee, the Keurig isn't the way to go in my opinion.

K-cups are the single serve containers of coffee you put in the machine. You can also get a My K-Cup which is a reusable container that allows you to use whatever coffee you want. I use it.

K-cups are $0.50-1.00 each. Using the My K-Cup brings your cost down to pennies and you can drink whatever you want though there are a lot of K-cup flavors out there.

I don't think they are very robust machines at all but mine has lasted for going on three years now and my wife is constantly running water through it to make tea so I would say ours gets above average use.

If my mom would not have bought me one, I wouldn't have it and I was not going to return it. It would have hurt her feelings. If/when it dies I will go to a French press or similar for my daily cup and break out my standard coffee maker when friends/family come to visit.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I got one only because my 85 year old mother tricked me and had one sent to me via HSN or whatever that TV merchant is. I only drink one moderately sized travel mug per day and I would just make a short pot in my regular coffee maker but being able to make one cup on the Keurig faster has it's benefits for me.

If you drink more than a cup or have people who like to drink coffee throughout the day and don't mind drinking old coffee, the Keurig isn't the way to go in my opinion.

K-cups are the single serve containers of coffee you put in the machine. You can also get a My K-Cup which is a reusable container that allows you to use whatever coffee you want. I use it.

K-cups are $0.50-1.00 each. Using the My K-Cup brings your cost down to pennies and you can drink whatever you want though there are a lot of K-cup flavors out there.

I don't think they are very robust machines at all but mine has lasted for going on three years now and my wife is constantly running water through it to make tea so I would say ours gets above average use.

If my mom would not have bought me one, I wouldn't have it and I was not going to return it. It would have hurt her feelings. If/when it dies I will go to a French press or similar for my daily cup and break out my standard coffee maker when friends/family come to visit.

Thanks for the review. We have an old Braun coffee maker my wife uses occasionally that I'd like to replace. It doesn't heat up as much as it used to.

I like the idea of making just individual cups because we don't drink that much and I'm not into the idea of reheating old coffee. K-cups aren't very appealing though, because I'd rather have control over strength and it just seems wasteful. The My K-Cup sounds like a reasonable alternative. I'd like to look at something besides Keurig. Seems overpriced and kinda clunky. Not sure I'd be into doing the French press though.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    French presses are actually a very good alternative if you want flexibility in your coffee making. I have a smallish one and use it to make a single 16oz mug each day. The only real downside I see compared to the Keurig is cleaning up the coffee grounds. Not as easy as the throw away waste of all of those plastic cups, but much better for composting.

Top Bottom