• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    This thread's timing is fortuitous -- I am preparing a little comparison of Texas's "can't carry here" places with other states, in preparation for a bill in 2017 that proposes to whittle down Texas's "can't" to a very small list indeed. I perused Handgunlaw.us and picked up some info, but I am curious about couple more things:

Re: Kirk's list above: "State Property" - does this include any form of state-owned property other than DNR?. Handgunlaw.us list the "Indiana government center campus" as off-limits, but are there other "government centers" off limits? Is carry in county government offices (aside from courts) legal? I am contrasting this with Texas, where state and local government entities are prevented by statute from prohibiting licensed carry on their grounds and premises (buildings) except for courts, secure areas of police stations, jails/prisons. State or county owned museums, libraries, treasurers' offices, planning commission, etc can't just up and ban licensed carry, they are required to permit it.

It also appears to me that licensed carry is not illegal (in Indiana) in polling places, hospitals (except for certain secure wards?), bars, sporting events, nursing homes, amusement parts, churches and other religious venues (except that privately owned facilities may ban carry, but it is just basic trespassing if you are told to leave and don't -- correct?)
    Correct. Also, remember that signs have no weight of law here.

I believe licensed carry is not illegal on public (state-owned) universities and colleges, but they may prohibit it by rule and expel violators? Is that correct?
    Also correct.

I'm doing some searches, as these are probably covered in some other thread, but jeez is that tedious. Most threads "go INGO" after about five posts, and the thereafter the useful nuggets are hidden among various entertaining tangents. :)

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Correct. Also, remember that signs have no weight of law here.

Thank you for the reply.

Now not trying to be tedious, but I'm trying to pin this down: then any State or County building or property aside from DNR a)is off limits to licensed carry? or b) is not de jure off limits but can prohibit licensed carry on its own say-so?

Seems to me if a state university can expel or fire you for carrying on campus, that campus carry is effectively forbidden by the state, if not illegal. Not an immediate criminal penalty (altho I believe trespassing if you come back?), but certainly a severe administrative action legal taken by the state that's likely not to do your life a lot of good.

Also correct.[/QUOTE]

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Thank you for the reply.

Now not trying to be tedious, but I'm trying to pin this down: then any State or County building or property aside from DNR a)is off limits to licensed carry? or b) is not de jure off limits but can prohibit licensed carry on its own say-so?

Seems to me if a state university can expel or fire you for carrying on campus, that campus carry is effectively forbidden by the state, if not illegal. Not an immediate criminal penalty (altho I believe trespassing if you come back?), but certainly a severe administrative action legal taken by the state that's likely not to do your life a lot of good.

Also correct.

As I understand it, Alamo, neither counties nor any other political subdivision (city, township, etc.) can make carry off-limits in their building, absent some other qualifier like a courtroom, etc.

State offices can do so, but I'm not aware of any that do, outside of the state Capitol and IGC. That doesn't mean there aren't any, just that I'm not aware of them.

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    As I understand it, Alamo, neither counties nor any other political subdivision (city, township, etc.) can make carry off-limits in their building, absent some other qualifier like a courtroom, etc.

State offices can do so, but I'm not aware of any that do, outside of the state Capitol and IGC. That doesn't mean there aren't any, just that I'm not aware of them.

Blessings,
    Bill

I just wish there were some certainty in this. I don`t want to be in violation, and I don`t want to be disarmed either.

Last edited by a moderator:

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Am I the only one that has trouble reading all the "legalese" in these measures and statutes? I need something with absolutely zero ambiguity...

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Am I the only one that has trouble reading all the "legalese" in these measures and statutes? I need something with absolutely zero ambiguity...
    Last summer we took a road trip to Florida. I read Handgunlaw.US several times for each of the states we were going to visit/pass through. PAINFUL!!!

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana

Add me to this list. I get a headache trying to decipher legal mumbo jumbo....

bradbler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Freetown
    my outlook on it is if you feel like you could get in serious trouble for carrying in a place. just don't do it to be on the safe side.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    my outlook on it is if you feel like you could get in serious trouble for carrying in a place. just don't do it to be on the safe side.

It depends on what kind of trouble might be most troubling to you. Trouble for mistakenly carrying, or trouble by being disarmed at the moment a lethal threat appears.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    What do you mean by "can't" carry? Seems like you are putting too much faith in a sign. Same problem anti gunners have.

Flyguyxii

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Columbus
    List for civilians and non-security personnel that I've gleaned from the IC:

Head Start, and Child Development Centers, which includes all properties owned / adjacent to the School buildings. (Thanks for the help, eldirector)

When you say child development centers would that be places like the foundation for youth here in Columbus? I've always taken it as it meant places like that however I did see somebody carrying in the facility and I'm pretty sure it was not an officer. I'm asking for personal knowledge as apposed to locking my firearm in the car.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    What do you mean by "can't" carry? Seems like you are putting too much faith in a sign. Same problem anti gunners have.

Oh, I guess by "cannot carry", I`m referring to places that will get you locked up for violating the do-not carry policy...I`m as far from an anti-gunner as you`ll find, by the way.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    When you say child development centers would that be places like the foundation for youth here in Columbus? I've always taken it as it meant places like that however I did see somebody carrying in the facility and I'm pretty sure it was not an officer. I'm asking for personal knowledge as apposed to locking my firearm in the car.

They're not a child-care facility nor are they a school.

The only way one of their facilities would be off-limits would be if a school were to somehow rent a facility for their exclusive usage - to the exclusion of all others.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The IC is "developmental child care program for preschool children"
    not
    "child development center"

This is not SPECIFICALLY defined in IC. However, ALL instanced of "developmental care" in IC are in reference to disabilities. So, I read this as a "school" for pre-school-aged children with disabilities, that provides non-academic assistance to their "students".

Thed Foundation for Youth most certainly does NOT meet this criteria. From what little I've spot-checked, they would not be a "school" by IC.

Top Bottom