• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    That is the problem, you have no information and if you are going to do anything you probably have to do it immediately.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Multiple bad guys are expecting no resistance. Remember the retiree in Florida who ran off two armed robbers by shooting at them? They were falling over each other trying to get out and get away.
    It could go either way. One shot from you and they run away or they could choose to start firing back. There are plenty of dirtybutts that are not afraid of dying. Most robberies last less than 30 secs before they are gone. There are too many variables to make a plan ahead of time. Change any single variable (out of the millions) and your plan is moot. All you can do is be confident in your abilities and your decision making to know that WHATEVER you do will be the best decision based on the circumstances presented to you at the moment.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Does that MC Sports not carry firearms? The one in Bloomington does and I would imagine at any given time, there's one or more CC or OCers...not that would necessarily dictate an armed response. But if I'm going to rob some place, I don't think I'd pick a store that sold guns.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Does that MC Sports not carry firearms? The one in Bloomington does and I would imagine at any given time, there's one or more CC or OCers...not that would necessarily dictate an armed response. But if I'm going to rob some place, I don't think I'd pick a store that sold guns.
    Yes it does. Gun guys might tend to avoid shopping during the Christmas season though :)

Plus, when I have gone in there lately, you can stand back at the gun counter for 15 minutes along with 4-5 other guys and get no assistance whatsoever.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yes it does. Gun guys might tend to avoid shopping during the Christmas season though :)

Plus, when I have gone in there lately, you can stand back at the gun counter for 15 minutes along with 4-5 other guys and get no assistance whatsoever.

Good point. They may have been doing what I typically do when my wife goes shopping---sitting out in the car, listening to the radio.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Multiple bad guys are expecting no resistance. Remember the retiree in Florida who ran off two armed robbers by shooting at them? They were falling over each other trying to get out and get away.

Maybe, but definitely not something to bank on. Just saw some security footage the other day on Youtube of a few armed robberies where the clerks fired rounds and the BGs stood there firing back for a good 5-10 seconds before turning to run out the door.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County
    First off like many others have said in this thread this turned out the best it could possibly have turned out. The fact that people were tied up and no one was injured or killed is nothing short of a miracle. The fact that the BG's came "prepared" with stuff to tie people up shows that most likely this wasn't their first rodeo. It's never easy to state why you would or wouldn't do in this situations regardless of how many times we go over them in our minds but like others have said there is NO WAY I'm allowing myself to be tied up without a fight.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Anybody OC'ing will be rendered ineffective by the bad guys.
    Good guys are thrown to the ground, Their own gun is pressed to their chest, and their heart is turned to mush by their own pistol. Lots of times.

Oh crap, I sure hope I don't sound like a weiner.....

Well, since it happens Lots of times, you should be able to easily provide credible links to stories about this urban legend you are spreading around. Right?

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I actually use to work at this exact store as a part time job behind the gun counter. The gun counter is way in the back, I do not understand how nobody was able to get out the back and make a call. There is an exit door by the loading bay ~40 yards from the gun cage. If I heard a bunch of commotion at the front of the store ~70 yards away I would have ran in back ~ 10 yards from gun counter and out the door and across to steak and shake. It bothers me no one was able to get out the back given how large and open the store is. Also, the shoe dept. is along the back wall, looking straight down the main isle.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    + Hoosier Cowboy! My mirrored feelings are similar. Bad guys don't care about you, they have the element of surprise, beg them to let you go? Good luck. Now you are the first shot. Your tied, laid down, and now expect mercy from a scumbag?
    One former self defense instructor taught me that any ACTION beats no reaction! I've lived a long life, not a hero for anyone. Let my family fall into that scenario, NO.
    It would be on brother, better grab on, cause it will get ugly. My wife knows to walk away, don't talk, go.
    Wonder why tactical gun owners carry 2 guns/ with spare ammo? That is the reason.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I Have thought about this A LOT. A very long time ago I came to a decision that many of you will say is callous and irresponsible, I will mind my business. That sounds flippant but it is not as simple as it sounds.

For one thing, I am not shooting ANYBODY, to protect someone else's money. Another thing is that I am very aware that standing tough could easily get people killed that wouldn't have been hurt otherwise. Now here comes the rub..... Protecting myself IS minding my own business.

When the threat comes around directly to ME, I have more interest in escalating the situation. I will not let myself be bound on purpose. To do so puts me in a helpless position and possibly adds another firearm to be used against everyone. When the understanding dawns that I am PERSONALLY being targeted, or even that my own safety is soon to be compromised, Then I will think about using deadly force to control the situation. Doing so COULD possibly escalate the danger to others...... It possibly COULD cause innocents to be hurt..... SORRY..... The decision has already been made. If it turns out badly, blame the perpetrators. I COULD decide to sacrifice my life and welfare with the intent to MAYBE minimize the danger to others, but in all honestly I probably won't go that way.

There is no guarantee that compliance would be the safest course to take, just like there is no guarantee that fighting back won't get someone killed. You just can't know for sure. What you CAN know for sure is that if you are carrying a firearm, letting it be taken by a criminal during a crime WON'T increase the safety for everybody involved. Once you have taken it on yourself to carry a deadly weapon in public, your responsibility changes a little bit. You have to control that weapon SOMEHOW..... If this means that you need to take some kind of action that you wouldn't take otherwise, then that's a decision that you made that morning when you placed that pistol into your pocket. the decision should already be made.

I believe that most robberies are desperate disorganized actions by single criminals. In that case the chances of just complying being the best thing are far greater. It's not easy to actually know what is going on, but when they start lining people up and are paying attention to the bystanders instead of the money, then I think that it may increase everybody's chances to take action if possible.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I Have thought about this A LOT. A very long time ago I came to a decision that many of you will say is callous and irresponsible, I will mind my business. That sounds flippant but it is not as simple as it sounds.

For one thing, I am not shooting ANYBODY, to protect someone else's money. Another thing is that I am very aware that standing tough could easily get people killed that wouldn't have been hurt otherwise. Now here comes the rub..... Protecting myself IS minding my own business.

When the threat comes around directly to ME, I have more interest in escalating the situation. I will not let myself be bound on purpose. To do so puts me in a helpless position and possibly adds another firearm to be used against everyone. When the understanding dawns that I am PERSONALLY being targeted, or even that my own safety is soon to be compromised, Then I will think about using deadly force to control the situation. Doing so COULD possibly escalate the danger to others...... It possibly COULD cause innocents to be hurt..... SORRY..... The decision has already been made. If it turns out badly, blame the perpetrators. I COULD decide to sacrifice my life and welfare with the intent to MAYBE minimize the danger to others, but in all honestly I probably won't go that way.

There is no guarantee that compliance would be the safest course to take, just like there is no guarantee that fighting back won't get someone killed. You just can't know for sure. What you CAN know for sure is that if you are carrying a firearm, letting it be taken by a criminal during a crime WON'T increase the safety for everybody involved. Once you have taken it on yourself to carry a deadly weapon in public, your responsibility changes a little bit. You have to control that weapon SOMEHOW..... If this means that you need to take some kind of action that you wouldn't take otherwise, then that's a decision that you made that morning when you placed that pistol into your pocket. the decision should already be made.

I believe that most robberies are desperate disorganized actions by single criminals. In that case the chances of just complying being the best thing are far greater. It's not easy to actually know what is going on, but when they start lining people up and are paying attention to the bystanders instead of the money, then I think that it may increase everybody's chances to take action if possible.

While there may be parts that I disagree with, and I'm sure others do, I understand this completely. I'm not out to play hero or cops and robbers either. I carry for the safety of those I know, not for the safety of the public. Call me a coward, I don't care. If they wanted protection, they could have carried a weapon themselves. Since they didn't, they can use their cell phone to call the police officers. Are there situations where I would protect someone I don't know? Of course. But for the most part, if I am out in public by myself, and I can find a way out of an armed hostility, I will take it.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Some people can have a clear conscious doing nothing while other innocent people are tied up, harmed or killed. I can't and would act to stop it. In my presence scum bags don't get to run the show and harm people. It's got nothing to do with being macho or talking big, it's just the right thing to do. You don't have to be a cop to protect your community.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Well, since it happens Lots of times, you should be able to easily provide credible links to stories about this urban legend you are spreading around. Right?
    I have seen it happen twice since I have been in LE in Marion County. It's not the kind of detail that's often released to the media.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    While there may be parts that I disagree with, and I'm sure others do, I understand this completely. I'm not out to play hero or cops and robbers either. I carry for the safety of those I know, not for the safety of the public. Call me a coward, I don't care. If they wanted protection, they could have carried a weapon themselves. Since they didn't, they can use their cell phone to call the police officers. Are there situations where I would protect someone I don't know? Of course. But for the most part, if I am out in public by myself, and I can find a way out of an armed hostility, I will take it.
    You called yourself that not me, but as far as people who don't act to help people in grave danger that's the term I'd use.
    i don't seek out trouble (like a Zimmerman), I stay away from known bad areas, I do my best to remain situationally aware, even making sure I'm not followed home. I wouldn't want to get in the middle but if I'm forced I can tell you I'll be fighting and maybe dying but i won't be tied up on the floor or executed because I cooperated with a POS criminal.

Top Bottom