• Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I'd rather have movement.

When I can get Dragon Skin, I'll go with it. Otherwise, I'll take my chances with cover.

Josh <><

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've had and worn armor for a loooong time. As Shay said, it sucks, but I'm sure getting shot sucks a lot more.

As far as Dragon skin goes, it was tested early on by the military and failed miserably. The company at the time blamed the failure on a vendor that was supplying their ceramic disks. Allegedly they worked it out, went for second test, and again failure. The Military has declined to give them a third try.

I’ve personally always had questions with the off axis performance of the Dragon skin armor. It just doesn’t look like a good deal to me. Incidentally, I believe it was the Military's off axis shooting tests that failed the vests repeatedly, but I can’t seem to find that info anymore.

I currently run an Eagle CIRAS with level IIIA soft, and CPI ceramic plates. Not the lightest in the world, but a heck of a savings over the old school steel.

One thing I see most often ignored, is the carrier. People get so wrapped around what level of protection, what cut, what manufacturer, and what model to buy, they fail to look at one really big point. Most armor all exhibit similar characteristics when you wear it, you feel stiffer than without it, sweat more, and have more girth. Before everyone whose worn armor gets on the flame wagon, yes there are differences, but even the best armor I’ve ever used still exhibited those traits to some degree. The comfort difference between two similar vests was always in the carrier. This goes double for soft concealed armor, but holds true for the overt tactical stuff too.

When you do start your search for the perfect armor, take a look at the carrier as well. The difference between a good vest in the closet and a great vest you’re wearing could just be one custom fit carrier away.

Jut my thoughts,

Tinman….

Oops forgot, I've used Tim over at practical tactical for a while now. He's done right by me, and several friends I sent his way.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Diamondback Tactical Predator II Vest Level IIIA Soft with ESAPI Plates front and rear. Ballistic Biceps and Drop Legs at Level IIIA. Most comfortable system I have ever tried on.
    I also have both an ACH/MICH and a PASGT helmet.

+1 on UnderArmor gear.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Well its just one of those things that I got used to (with training). My level IV vest is heavier than my old GI issued... but it does make since - they are rated higher - than the level III hard plates. My brands are International Armor Corp. vest and United Shield helmet.

I have no problem wearing a helmet and lots of gear - did this for years. I just gotta train more with this IV vest and it will get lighter :D :ar15:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Diamondback Tactical Predator II Vest Level IIIA Soft with ESAPI Plates front and rear. Ballistic Biceps and Drop Legs at Level IIIA. Most comfortable system I have ever tried on.
    I also have both an ACH/MICH and a PASGT helmet.

+1 on UnderArmor gear.

When I talked to their rep at a big USPSA match, he told me they wouldn't even consider selling their armor to me because I'm not in the military and I don't have a badge.

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    When I talked to their rep at a big USPSA match, he told me they wouldn't even consider selling their armor to me because I'm not in the military and I don't have a badge.

Yea, DBT is a real PITA over not selling to normal earth people. They won't even sell to contractors being deployed. no badge, no Mil ID, no deal.

Tinman....

CPU13rother

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I have always wanted to own some, but the likelihood of putting it to use has prevented it from being a priority.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yea, DBT is a real PITA over not selling to normal earth people. They won't even sell to contractors being deployed. no badge, no Mil ID, no deal.

Tinman....

Which is why I won't buy any of their products or recommend them to anyone.

The guy was actually pretty cool (I talked to him for quite a while because I was doing the scores and he was in the clubhouse hanging out waiting for customers with questions) at first. When he gave me a catalog, I asked if they made their own armor and carriers, and he said yes. So naturally I asked if they could custom make something for me.

That's when he got a lot less cool. His whole attitude changed, as if I was somehow behaving badly for inquiring about body armor for myself. After he established there was no way they'd even consider it, it was the end of the conversation.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008

The guy was actually pretty cool (I talked to him for quite a while because I was doing the scores and he was in the clubhouse hanging out waiting for customers with questions) at first. When he gave me a catalog, I asked if they made their own armor and carriers, and he said yes. So naturally I asked if they could custom make something for me.

That's when he got a lot less cool. His whole attitude changed, as if I was somehow behaving badly for inquiring about body armor for myself. After he established there was no way they'd even consider it, it was the end of the conversation.

Oh well, there are other great distributors who will sell to you. :D

dclaarjr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Fremont, Ohio
    As a Ranger I never wore Armor, but I also got out 16 years ago.

If I ever have to BUG OUT my plan depends on stealth and evasion. I'm not including body armor due to weight. I would rather carry what I need to survive.

If SHTF I plan on disappearing rather than going into battle. My job is to get my family to a remote, safe place where we can survive.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

Yeah they can be real prickly about that. WOW My second set I bought from them was a pain in my a** to get the proper stuff to verify that I was me sent to them. I had the net, just no scanner in Iraq. I am Mil so it is worth it for me. They do make a lot of awesome gear. I also use some of their pouches.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    As a Ranger I never wore Armor, but I also got out 16 years ago.

If I ever have to BUG OUT my plan depends on stealth and evasion. I'm not including body armor due to weight. I would rather carry what I need to survive.

If SHTF I plan on disappearing rather than going into battle. My job is to get my family to a remote, safe place where we can survive.

Good point, chances are you will be using a vehicle, the weight is not much of a difference then. My interceptor is not concealable. Good just to leave in the back of the truck though. I have 15 miles to travel to get home. It could help. I have recently started training with it on, to get used to it.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Before you buy body armor do your homework and find out what style and type will suit your application. I prefer OTV, for training and use it is what will meet the most of my needs. MAKE sure it is sized properly. Armor that is incorrectly sized not only is it uncomfortable, but it can be harmful to use/wear. On the note of it being harmful that includes both the pain, fatigue, and muscular/ skeletal problems from an improper fit. Also an improper fit may allow the armor to not function as it is designed to. And you could actually cause bluntforce trauma to yourself.

Top Bottom