• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    "Why should I go to a place that bashes my profession regularly. I go to work every day and get that."
    OR
    "One of the reasons I retired was so that I wouldn't have to argue with people who hate LEO's every day".:

Well, if the shoe fits! There is that saying (from the Bible actually) that "you always reap what you sow." Far too many LEO's sow "weeds" that the entire profession get's tarnished. Clean up your own profession!

All we have to do here is consider the IMPD's Officer Bisard fiasco. The black eye that IMPD got over that may take 10 years to "heal". And for what? To try to protect a cop who did something incredibly stupid? If the driver had been any of us the other officers involved would have made sure everything was by the book.

Too many LE use their badge as a "license" to do whatever they please. I've seen it firsthand. My father-in-law (now deceased) was formerly an ISP officer. Off-duty and even after he retired he intentionally disregarded every traffic law on the books. Sure, he got stopped but then he just flashed his "retired LE ID" and they talked a bit, shook hands, and that was the end of it. He'd say "perks of the job!"

Save the CRAP for the bad guys! There are PLENTY of them to go around!

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I don't understand the mindset or mentality of utilizing open carry in a public arena. What is the purpose ? Intimidation, bluster, or . . . . . ? If the purpose of being armed is for self defense, is a confrontation less likely because an individual is openly carrying a firearm ?

I think this demonstrates a lack sensibility on the OP's part. With the concern(s) of the general public running rampant in today's environment, I think most folks would be either surprised or shocked or both to see an individual walking through a crowded (assumption) mall with a gun while the wearer was not in uniform.

I would think someone in law enforcement would be even more attune to the public reaction. I do take exception to anyone believing their personal right trumps the general consideration for common sense and well being. It brings to mind the theory that it's wrong to yell "fire" in a crowded theatre - regardless of the right to free speech. From a law enforcement standpoint, I suggest your situatinal awarenes would be raised if, while on duty, you encountered someone who was openly carrying a firearm.

Next time use some common sense and don't flaunt your 2nd amendment right. You do a disservice to your fellow gunowners - and to your department for that matter.

Wow, said all of that by flaunting your 1st Amendment right

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I don't understand the mindset or mentality of utilizing open carry in a public arena. What is the purpose ? Intimidation, bluster, or . . . . . ?

...I think this demonstrates a lack sensibility on the OP's part.

...Next time use some common sense and don't flaunt your 2nd amendment right. You do a disservice to your fellow gunowners - and to your department for that matter.

Wow. You sure don't let your admitted lack of understanding on a subject restrain you from just spouting out unsupported opinions, do you? :):

You and a few others should really take the Duck's advice on this one and educate yourself on the matter in a more suitable thread.

I'm a hoping that your Purple is broken.

If you are serious then - Boy is there a thread for you. :D

Post in HERE.............But not in here.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Well, if the shoe fits! There is that saying (from the Bible actually) that "you always reap what you sow." Far too many LEO's sow "weeds" that the entire profession get's tarnished. Clean up your own profession!

All we have to do here is consider the IMPD's Officer Bisard fiasco. The black eye that IMPD got over that may take 10 years to "heal". And for what? To try to protect a cop who did something incredibly stupid? If the driver had been any of us the other officers involved would have made sure everything was by the book.

Too many LE use their badge as a "license" to do whatever they please. I've seen it firsthand. My father-in-law (now deceased) was formerly an ISP officer. Off-duty and even after he retired he intentionally disregarded every traffic law on the books. Sure, he got stopped but then he just flashed his "retired LE ID" and they talked a bit, shook hands, and that was the end of it. He'd say "perks of the job!"

Save the CRAP for the bad guys! There are PLENTY of them to go around!
    Thanks for making my point. :)'
    I'm sure your well thought out and considerate response will convince quite a few LEO's to join in the camaraderie here. :n00b:

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    I see some think the OP was trying to get special treatment and some dont. Well here is the way I see it. If I am in the same position, I would not tell the lady im an ironworker by trade. She would look at me like wtf is that suppose to mean. Therefore there is only one reason I can see he even brought this up, he was looking to slip by the rules. What other reason would someone bring up thier trade other than use it to thier advantagr? The only time I bring up my trade outside of it being in conversation, is when im getting a union discount from phone companies ect ect.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I see some think the OP was trying to get special treatment and some dont. Well here is the way I see it. If I am in the same position, I would not tell the lady im an ironworker by trade. She would look at me like wtf is that suppose to mean. Therefore there is only one reason I can see he even brought this up, he was looking to slip by the rules. What other reason would someone bring up thier trade other than use it to thier advantagr? The only time I bring up my trade outside of it being in conversation, is when im getting a union discount from phone companies ect ect.

So if they stopped you and said, "sorry, we only allow ironworkers to carry here", you wouldn't automatically say, "oh I am an ironworker"?

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Thanks for making my point. :)'
    I'm sure your well thought out and considerate response will convince quite a few LEO's to join in the camaraderie here. :n00b:

It is like it is. If so many of them didn't use their badge to be bullies, there would NOT be so many here on INGO flaming them.

I prefer NOT to have camaraderie with a bully, LE or not.

PMPORTER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Yes, it is a real deal, I went to the Dunhams in Kokomo and bought the eotech from them, I did have a 20% off coupon that was about to expire so I got a hell of a deal lol

I will always stand up for the rights for all of us to carry LEO or not.....
    Thank you for standing up and in my opinion the more LEO's that stand up the better for us all !

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I think that private property rights still apply. If I start a business, I can make the rules. If you don't like them, don't enter.

Really? No. You are wrong. The Gubmint passed laws infringing on private property rights and made discrimination based upon race a crime.

So which one of these statements do you want to follow then? The one where you get to make the rules, or the one where the government tells you the rules?

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    It is like it is. If so many of them didn't use their badge to be bullies, there would NOT be so many here on INGO flaming them.

I prefer NOT to have camaraderie with a bully, LE or not.
    Actually INGO is the exception..:dunno:
    The other firearms forums that I belong to don't put up with flaming fellow gun enthusiasts because of their chosen profession.
    It's considered bad form to crap on someone who's on your side. ;)

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    I'm glad you find humiliating people humorous.
    He should have left out his "descriptions" and just called them by their positions.
    Respect is earned not thrown out like candy at a parade.

Still having reading comprehension problems, I see. Actually I find your weak attempts at defending your comments to be where the humor is, not in anything the OP said.

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    So if they stopped you and said, "sorry, we only allow ironworkers to carry here", you wouldn't automatically say, "oh I am an ironworker"?

I will never have to worry about this, I do not open carry, I conceal carry and I do it any and everywhere with no problems. I dont believe in open carry, there is no reason for it. Im not saying people should not do it, to each is their own and its their right. I just see it as unnecessary for the reasons I carry.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I will never have to worry about this, I do not open carry, I conceal carry and I do it any and everywhere with no problems. I dont believe in open carry, there is no reason for it. Im not saying people should not do it, to each is their own and its their right. I just see it as unnecessary for the reasons I carry.
    I do not believe in conceal carry, that is the way criminals behave, trying to hide what they are doing.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I've just made it a habit to boycott Logansport, just to be safe ;)

I haven't been back since the 5-generations reunion on my wife's side (She's a Castaldi).

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I guess I forgot to add the line this guy approached me with, "Um, you cant have a gun in the mall only cops can have guns in here" at that point I identified myself as an off duty police officer, at no time did I imply to this person I was "better than the regular Joe" sir.

Well spoken. You can see and hear the types of grunts coming from us non LEO characters already.
    Thank you for the story. It does represent a very real problem when people think that gun free zones equal no violence. Quite the contrary. Criminals love the gun free zones.
    One thing that I may add is the fact that CC does mean that no one will target you when you trying to raid or rob a store like that... BUT they would be less likely to commit a crime seeing that someone is actually carrying, so it's a pickle of a situation, when in doubt though.... I always CC.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    The action I'm focusing on is this: OP was denied his 2a right. OP returned the goods and won't be going back.

I'm good with that.

As an aside, OP experienced what many of us have had to deal with and educated some of us how to deal with it.

I'm good with that too.

IMO, the rest is unimportant.

And to some of you responding in this thread about how stupid it is to OC, listen to the wise Duck's advice.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    So which one of these statements do you want to follow then? The one where you get to make the rules, or the one where the government tells you the rules?

I would go with people having private property rights and the government stay out of it. I should be able to control my own property as long as it does not interfere with the property rights of others.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Actually INGO is the exception..:dunno:
    The other firearms forums that I belong to don't put up with flaming fellow gun enthusiasts because of their chosen profession.
    It's considered bad form to crap on someone who's on your side. ;)

Show up to some of those forums and say "Hi, I'm a telemarketer, I call people on the phone every day and sell them stuff; we even use a predictive dialer to make my job more efficient. The best time to reach people is at dinner time." and see if they welcome you with open arms.

Top Bottom