• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Hope I didn't get scooped: Found this on theconservativemonster.com while reading about the Harlem Trial...Guilty by the way... surprise surprise.

Source

Arizona punches back, threatens LA's power
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010

By Subha Ravindhran
    LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Debate over Arizona's new immigration law has reached a boiling point.

Tuesday, Arizona's corporation commission is threatening to turn off the lights in Los Angeles, if the city goes ahead with its boycott of the state.

Most people are unaware 25 percent of electricity consumed in Los Angeles is generated by power plants in Arizona.

The Arizona corporation commission sent a stern letter to mayor Antonio Villaraigosa threatening to turn off L.A. lights if Los Angeles boycott's Arizona businesses.

"And certainly Los Angeles, which depends on Arizona for 25 percent of their power, ought to be cognizant that, you can't call a boycott on the candy store and then decide to go in an pick and choose candy you really do want," Arizona Corporation Commission member Gary Pierce said.

It was just last week the Los Angeles city council approved the boycott in response to Arizona's new immigration law.

The decision could cost the state 52 million dollars in cancelled contracts.

To make matters worse, Monday mayor Villaraigosa tried to bring a little humor to the issue by placing a friendly bet over the phone with Phoenix mayor Phil Gordon over Monday nights Lakers Suns matchup.

Both mayors oppose Arizona's immigration law.

"He's agreed that if the Suns win, they'll send us Sheriff Arpaio, and if the Suns win we'll send them Steve Poizner and Meg Whitman," Villraigosa said.

But today republican gubernatorial candidate Steve Poizner was not laughing and neither is Arizona.

From business, to basketball to now L.A.'s electricity, this immigration debate has become an all out battle with both sides now standing to lose.

"We need to have this mediated," Los Angeles resident Tyron King said. "And if someone needs to step in from the government that's a higher official, it needs to be done because it's getting out of hand."

I personally think it would be awesome if AZ strikes back. LA has every right to boycott AZ, and AZ has every right to choose to do business elsewhere. They would lose about 52 million in contracts, but that electricity could be sold somewhere else and recoup that money. I say go for it AZ.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    The figure I saw made it sound like they would pay 52 million in fines to break the contracts, rather than lose 52 million from the energy. I'm assuming they could sell the energy at the same cost and only be out the 52 million in fines. I could be wrong though.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    "And certainly Los Angeles, which depends on Arizona for 25 percent of their power, ought to be cognizant that, you can't call a boycott on the candy store and then decide to go in an pick and choose candy you really do want," Arizona Corporation Commission member Gary Pierce said.
    These moronic city councils* are trying to score points by passing resolutions without considering the implications. "Wait! Just because we boycotted you, doesn't mean you should boycott us!"

Reap what you sow.

*ETA (because it wasn't clear): I'm talking about the LA and San Diego city councils being morons, not AZ.

Last edited:

Rizzo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Is it time to buy something mail order from AZ? Or visit there on vacation? The Grand Canyon is beautiful. Is it time to make a political donation to the reelection of this governor?

surely there is something we can do to off set the pain of an LA boycott.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    If I was a younger man in better physical condition, I would pack up and move to Arizona and volunteer to help out wherever I could as long as they stood firm on their illegal immigration enforcement law. I really do hope that many other states find the spine to pass similar laws. There will likely be demonstrations and even riots over this, but they will definitely happen eventually. Might as well get them out of the way now to get this matter settled. We do not need or want 20 mmillion new democratic, non-English speaking voters or push the percentage of households not paying any federal income taxes well over 50%. As harsh as it might sound, we are just not the lifeboat to the rest of the world. Too many passengers and it will founder and sink and we will all go down. Just my two cents.

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    Hope I didn't get scooped: Found this on theconservativemonster.com while reading about the Harlem Trial...Guilty by the way... surprise surprise.

I personally think it would be awesome if AZ strikes back. LA has every right to boycott AZ, and AZ has every right to choose to do business elsewhere. They would lose about 52 million in contracts, but that electricity could be sold somewhere else and recoup that money. I say go for it AZ.

Cali. has more weapons. If Cali. shuts off the Port of Long Beach to AZ, AZ runs out of goods and it can't export its goods..

Of course, this is the very sort of interstate trade war the Constitution attempted to prevent, so look for the US Government to get involved.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    If L.A. County so strongly supports "illegal undocumented immigrants",
    why don't they offer to take in all of Arizona's "illegal undocumented immigrants".

Problem solved.

BtownBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Bloomington
    Cali. has more weapons. If Cali. shuts off the Port of Long Beach to AZ, AZ runs out of goods and it can't export its goods..

Of course, this is the very sort of interstate trade war the Constitution attempted to prevent, so look for the US Government to get involved.

From a practical standpoint, I don't see how California could shut AZ out of the port, or anything else like that. The stick they wield is the same that we do as consumers: we can take our money elsewhere. From my reading of the article, it seems AZ stands to lose 52 million dollars in contracts. AZ doesn't seem to mind, and I suspect that they can (easily) find buyers for any surplus power they wind up with.

I applaud Arizona, I wouldn't sell them power if they were doing their level best to bankrupt my state. Maybe Indiana should step in and middle man a deal. We'll buy the power from those racist Arizonans, mark it up, and sell it to CA. CA can claim the moral high road, Arizona keeps the status quo, and maybe we can lower taxes a little bit. :D

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Is it time to buy something mail order from AZ? Or visit there on vacation? The Grand Canyon is beautiful. Is it time to make a political donation to the reelection of this governor?

surely there is something we can do to off set the pain of an LA boycott.

Buy an SR9, SR9c, LCP.... I can't remember if Ruger's P-series handguns are made in Arizona now or not. That way, you get to support Arizona businesses, and get a new gun. All at the same time.

Top Bottom