• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leggdpms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    I seen someone post on a local forum last night about looking for a pistol but said he couldn't pass a background check at a couple local FFL dealers and said the only trouble he's been in was a ticket years ago and said they may have him confused with someone else. Question is would a ticket make you fail a background check? Also would it be a good idea to sell to a guy that can't pass a background check from a FFL. I understand that it's not required for a background check selling person to person but being as he stated that he couldn't would you sell to him? In my opinion I wouldn't sell to him because it seems to suspicious for me.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I seen someone post on a local forum last night about looking for a pistol but said he couldn't pass a background check at a couple local FFL dealers and said the only trouble he's been in was a ticket years ago and said they may have him confused with someone else. Question is would a ticket make you fail a background check? Also would it be a good idea to sell to a guy that can't pass a background check from a FFL. I understand that it's not required for a background check selling person to person but being as he stated that he couldn't would you sell to him? In my opinion I wouldn't sell to him because it seems to suspicious for me.

Tell "John Smith" to get a less common name.

IF this is the problem, he could get an ID number for future purchases.

Last edited:

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    If he was denied he can file an appeals with NICS. Until then i absolutely would not sell a gun to him because at that point NICS has deemed him to be an improper person.

Leggdpms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    See he tried to say someone with the same name but his name is weird lol and I agree just getting opinions as I'm sick of arguing with a gun on the southern indiana gun traders page on Facebook about why I wouldn't sell him a thing.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Question is would a ticket make you fail a background check?

"Good morning, Law Office of Kirk Freeman."

"Yes, sir, I have a traffic ticket and I was wondering if I could ask you about it?"

"Sure, that's why we are here. What's the ticket for?"

"HTV-Life as a Class C felony."

Yeah, um, what people call "tickets" are actually a summons for something other than an infraction.

Also would it be a good idea to sell to a guy that can't pass a background check from a FFL.

Dear God, no. He is a prohibited person even if he is not.

Stay out of the BoP. Please.

Leggdpms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    Gotcha I got kicked from the group anyways haha I guess voicing my opinion on the matter is wrong haha I told the guy I was arguing with he was a complete idiot if he sold to him and I got the boot lol

jeffreyd

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    s/w indy
    we get some customers like JOHN SMITH who are always delayed at j & m sporting goods in greenfield. they need to apply for a UPIN number from the fbi. unique personal identification number. it takes some time to get it. but when i call them in and supply the UPIN number they always go through. if you are always delayed but get a proceed days later get one. see your local FFL dealer on how to get one. it will help regular gun purchasers from much headache. not to many people know of this program. sort of like the TSA quick board program.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    we get some customers like JOHN SMITH who are always delayed at j & m sporting goods in greenfield. they need to apply for a UPIN number from the fbi. unique personal identification number. it takes some time to get it. but when i call them in and supply the UPIN number they always go through. if you are always delayed but get a proceed days later get one. see your local FFL dealer on how to get one. it will help regular gun purchasers from much headache. not to many people know of this program. sort of like the TSA quick board program.

Just two months ago I got a delayed response. Before I left the store, my purchase was approved. I was dumbfounded.

Last week i got another delayed response. As of today, I am still delayed.

I have never had this happen before.

Leggdpms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    That's sounds like one of the shops the guy went to. And a shop in Bedford. He posted saying it's been like that since he was 18 you'd imagine he would have tried to do something about it then.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    To sell to an individual in Indiana, you have 3 obligations:
    1) Determine the buyer is an Indiana resident.
    2) Determine the buyer is of proper age to own a handgun in Indiana
    3) Have no reason to believe the buyer is not a proper person.

IMO, this guy can't pass step 3.

devious169

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Earth and you?
    Coincidentally, I got kicked off of southern in. Gun traders for deciding not to sell a gun! Bunch of wannabe commies! i dont deal with shady people.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Question is would a ticket make you fail a background check?
    Regular traffic ticket? No.

Also would it be a good idea to sell to a guy that can't pass a background check from a FFL.
    No.

If he was denied he can file an appeals with NICS. Until then i absolutely would not sell a gun to him because at that point NICS has deemed him to be an improper person.
    This^.

Gotcha I got kicked from the group anyways haha I guess voicing my opinion on the matter is wrong haha I told the guy I was arguing with he was a complete idiot if he sold to him and I got the boot lol
    Sounds like a place you don't want hooked up with anyhow...

Careful.
    I've had people with UPIN still get delayed.
    It's a crapshoot.

A note about recent delays;
    Since the call center got flaky and went down on & off all last week, for a time they sent every single check to a further review.
    Many of those were delayed. Most were proceeded fairly quickly...but still.
    Monday and Tuesday seemed to get back closer to "normal", but with the upgrades they are implementing on their end, there are bound to be bugs and glitches working their way to the surface. Just a heads up.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    ive had people with upin's get denied, but clear on appeal, so upins are not always the answer

to the op, oh man you got kicked out of a facebook group that has "shady dealings"...so what, like i always say, let me worry about me breaking the law, (ie speeding,double parking,feeding the meter) let the other person worry about themselves, in this case, a felon in possession of a firearm!, and now you dont have to worry about someone calling you saying "joe scumbag" said you sold him a firearm, and he's a felon!

Last edited:

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Regular traffic ticket? No.

No.

This^.

Sounds like a place you don't want hooked up with anyhow...

Careful.
    I've had people with UPIN still get delayed.
    It's a crapshoot.

A note about recent delays;
    Since the call center got flaky and went down on & off all last week, for a time they sent every single check to a further review.
    Many of those were delayed. Most were proceeded fairly quickly...but still.
    Monday and Tuesday seemed to get back closer to "normal", but with the upgrades they are implementing on their end, there are bound to be bugs and glitches working their way to the surface. Just a heads up.

Does providing your social help? Almost everyone in my family has been delayed while purchasing guns (kinda common name), so when I went on Monday to pick up my new toy I provided my social (doesn't bother me) to try to make sure I didn't get delayed again. No delay this time:rockwoot:

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    If you know or has reason to believe he is a prohibited person (he has admitted this to you) you may not transfer the firearm to him/her. There is an appeals process that any FFL should have info on and should be given to the customer upon denial. The appeals process should clear things up if in fact there is no legal reason for he/she to be prohibited. There's also the UPN route, but he needs to do an appeal with the NTN# for the transaction from the FFL.

Top Bottom