• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I still don't understand how a UPIN should help you anymore than providing your social security number. Each uniquely identifies you.

I used to get delayed every once in a while when I didn't provide my social security number. Apparently there is someone out there ruining my good name... But after I started providing my social security number, I don't get delayed anymore.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I still don't understand how a UPIN should help you anymore than providing your social security number. Each uniquely identifies you.

I used to get delayed every once in a while when I didn't provide my social security number. Apparently there is someone out there ruining my good name... But after I started providing my social security number, I don't get delayed anymore.

identity theft, an identity theif will steal your ssn, but the upin is issued by the fbi/atf, people will use their ssn alot more than a upin

we had a lady who had her identity stolen, and she came in to buy a gun, was denied, she said "i forgot to fill in my upin", she had to go home ad get it(she had moved and packed it in a box) when she came back with it,she had been denied by nics,at that point i sent her to the store owner, and i forgot what happened, either we had her do an apeal, or we redid the background check,( sorry i'm getting old, and the first three things to go when you get old are your memory, and???? sorry i forgot the other two)

she had said that after she had gotten her upin she cleared(during her 3 day delay), but she was able to buy guns, IF she used her upin

Last edited:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I agree with all the above. No one would be denied for a common "traffic ticket" unless it was felony class. However since the person in question stated he had "failed the background check", you would be in violation of federal law to sell him any firearm, since you have a damn good reason to suspect / believe he is not "legal to possess firearms". Had this statement not been made, yes you could have legally sold him a firearm, but this could well be an attempt to detect illegal private sales by an BATF agent.

Guess I am lucky - have a fairly common name but have never had a delay or denial when purchasing any firearm in over 50 years of purchasing (although actually the checks have only been made since 1993, so only the last 21 years count).
    Of course now that I have my collector FFL, and use my SS# when purchasing, I would be extremely surprised if I had any problem.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I had my ID stolen years ago, bought a few guns though FFL's with no problem, then went to buy a $150 SKS (remember those days?) and was denied. I appealed and sent my fingerprints to NCIC or what ever it is and they sent me a UPIN, that I use when buying through ffl's... I have had carry licenses in two states, and prefer dealing with gun forum members, I've had many good trades through INGO, while living in Indiana, and here in Virginia through VGT he should try that route

Top Bottom