• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gdpudge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    West central
    Here a few weeks ago while trying reloading and the first time using the lee auto prime I managed to get 2 primers in the case backwards now I'd like to get them out and load the brass correctly. Is there a way to make them inert so I can press them back out without getting a bang. Any ideas? Thanks GD

Gdpudge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    West central
    There is no powder or bullet in the case. Just a new starline brass case and a backwards primer. I'd like to remove the reversed primer and don't want the depriming pin to set it off. I hope that's a better description

BAZOOKa

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Plymouth
    I started a bin with all of my reloading oops including what you mentioned. Left them there for a day when I am feeling brave. The thought of decapping a live primer in backwards always makes me a little nervous. Also curious as to why the powder would not be any good like hps has asked. That's assuming he has even powdered and seated a bullet. Sounds like he caught it right after priming.

Gdpudge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    West central
    Yea I caught it before powder and seating. For some reason the primer rolled over upside down in the feed throat of the auto prime. It hasn't done that again since

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If it really is tight in the primer pocket, there is a possibility of detonation. Plan appropriately. At least wear glasses. Do not have any powder or other primers or flamables nearby. It is not like a stick of dynamite, but it does spit out a little flame at some pressure. not that big of deal good luck

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    A backward primer is inert because it has not been properly seated in a case. Properly seating a primer puts the anvil in contact with the pellet. Just push it out with the decapper and properly seat them. No danger at all.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    A backward primer is inert because it has not been properly seated in a case. Properly seating a primer puts the anvil in contact with the pellet. Just push it out with the decapper and properly seat them. No danger at all.

As previously stated, no big deal. Just make sure that the glasses are on and area cleared. It's not like it's a flamethower or anything.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Folks, Primers are set off by the impact of the firing pin, key word here is impact. Put shell into shell holder and use your decaping/sizing die to push, again key here is push, the primer out. Recover primer and insert it into the case in the correct way.
    I have done the hundreds of times with no issues. Remember this is a primer, far, far from being a stick of dynamite, nor an A-bomb.
    Furthermore, if this done on a press using a sizing die is not everything enclosed anyway?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Sounds Dangerous.
    You should probably play it safe.

Have your wife do it.
    Just tell her - "They say reloading ammo is so easy that even a woman can do it".
    That usually gets them off the couch in a hurry. :):

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Frankly I also would reuse the powder, nothing changed it in the pulldown process. One can even purchase military pulldown powder at reduced prices.

That is all the same powder, though. I'm talking about the possible mixing of powders.

Gdpudge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    West central
    Sorry. No wife, no powder, no bullet. Just a couple empty cases with backward primers. Honestly its not like I really need them but I may just toss them and move on. I had even forgot about them til I found them on the bench last night. I'm sure it would be fine to push them out but I think il put them in the lesson learned bin as a reminder of to always make sure a primer isn't upside down in the auto prime which was my fault too. I didn't have the clear lid on correctly. Thanks GD

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Sounds Dangerous.
    You should probably play it safe.

Have your wife do it.
    Just tell her - "They say reloading ammo is so easy that even a woman can do it".
    That usually gets them off the couch in a hurry. :):

Please elaborate as to what is dangerous about pushing a primer out of a case whether in correctly or backwards or not using a sizing die and a press?

Top Bottom