• ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The oil change was three months ago. The filter cap is clean

here is what thr tubing part looks like. Might be leaking from one on left

this is what new part looks like. Nice solid metal. This is an Internet pic. Hoping that's the problem

Well that sure looks to be the culprit. Glad you caught it, and hopefully that is it and it doesn't cost too much.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Good news, sunglasses were in my gym shoes in my bag. Had gone through the bag three times, but not the shoes

update: it was indeed the oil line. $550 for parts labor and tax. Could be worse

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Good news, sunglasses were in my gym shoes in my bag. Had gone through the bag three times, but not the shoes

update: it was indeed the oil line. $550 for parts labor and tax. Could be worse

Good deal on the glasses, and could be worse on the van, but amazing how much things cost these days. Too bad it didn't happen 20,000 miles ago.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Not only could it have been worse, I view that as a best case scenario.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Best case? That part is under $75 shipped from RockAuto. Jackstands, wrenches, an afternoon, and a beer.....

But, yeah, $550 and clean hands is A-OK, too!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Best case? That part is under $75 shipped from RockAuto. Jackstands, wrenches, an afternoon, and a beer.....

I am not all that mechanically inclined and just need it fixed. My friends would be like "just have a repair shop do it" :rofl:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

I was referring to what can cause an engine oil leak, not the cost. This was a best case scenario because no other possibility would be fixed for $550.00.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Guess what I get to replace today?

Wifey came Friday after driving all over hell and said, can you look at my car? It smells funny.:rolleyes:

She was confident no warning lights had been displayed on the dash.

I popped the hood and the normally dryer than a popcorn fart Toyota 3.5L V6, that has given us almost 200K trouble free miles, was covered in oil. Just from sitting in the garage for a few minutes, the car had left an outline on the garage floor from the oil dripping off its perimeter.

It was then I remember this thread on the INGO.:(

I knew Toyota/ Lexus had a known issue with this, but I was sure I was OK because our Lexus had a recall and they replaced some rubber oil lines with shiny new metal ones. Turns out there were two sets of rubber oil lines and only one set had a recall.

Pulling the dipstick revealed a couple of lonely drops of oil at its very tip...

AgsEwoFl.jpg

But after wiping and re-checking it, nada, zero, zilch.:(

Pulling the plastic off underneath allowed some oil to run out onto the floor...

MsW3rMAl.jpg

And allowed me to see the two remaining rubber lines that was sure I didn't have...

aRyshu6l.jpg

I dumped in the two quarts of oil I had laying around and had the wife start it up. Engine sounded normal. No knocking, ticking, etc. Just a tiny jet of oil shooting out of the one hose at very high velocity.

We have enough vehicles that it wasn't an emergency, so I just order up parts from Amazon that should be waiting when I get home. Just wish I had AC in the garage today. And in my truck for the ride home.:rolleyes:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Guess what I get to replace today?

Wifey came Friday after driving all over hell and said, can you look at my car? It smells funny.:rolleyes:

She was confident no warning lights had been displayed on the dash.

I popped the hood and the normally dryer than a popcorn fart Toyota 3.5L V6, that has given us almost 200K trouble free miles, was covered in oil. Just from sitting in the garage for a few minutes, the car had left an outline on the garage floor from the oil dripping off its perimeter.

It was then I remember this thread on the INGO.:(

I knew Toyota/ Lexus had a known issue with this, but I was sure I was OK because our Lexus had a recall and they replaced some rubber oil lines with shiny new metal ones. Turns out there were two sets of rubber oil lines and only one set had a recall.

Pulling the dipstick revealed a couple of lonely drops of oil at its very tip...

AgsEwoFl.jpg

But after wiping and re-checking it, nada, zero, zilch.:(

Pulling the plastic off underneath allowed some oil to run out onto the floor...

MsW3rMAl.jpg

And allowed me to see the two remaining rubber lines that was sure I didn't have...

aRyshu6l.jpg

I dumped in the two quarts of oil I had laying around and had the wife start it up. Engine sounded normal. No knocking, ticking, etc. Just a tiny jet of oil shooting out of the one hose at very high velocity.

We have enough vehicles that it wasn't an emergency, so I just order up parts from Amazon that should be waiting when I get home. Just wish I had AC in the garage today. And in my truck for the ride home.:rolleyes:

That sucks but at least it didn't have any abnormal noises on start up after adding oil.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    That sucks but at least it didn't have any abnormal noises on start up after adding oil.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. We had a 1987 Chevy Cavalier that had given 190,000 miles of dependable service, and then a rubber seal blew out of the oil pressure sending unit, and drained the oil out so fast that it was clicking and clacking before I could shut it down. It never was the same.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    My Son's first ride was a 95 S 10. Called one night said the Check Engine & Oil lights came on. Went to tow it home and encountered an Oil Slick behind it like the Exon Valdez. I figured a Rod had Exited the Pan, but it was an Oil Cooler Line as well. I replaced both Lines and it was good as new for another 50,000 Mi.

Top Bottom