• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I wonder if guns today are designed like cars of today. In other words, are they designed with an expected useful life and anyone running them after that point, does so with an expected level of failure higher than what would normally be acceptable. A 1955 Chevy will run forever if maintained well, but a 2015 BMW will certainly be in a scrapyard in 2035 due to it being well past its intended life expectancy.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I wonder if guns today are designed like cars of today. In other words, are they designed with an expected useful life and anyone running them after that point, does so with an expected level of failure higher than what would normally be acceptable. A 1955 Chevy will run forever if maintained well, but a 2015 BMW will certainly be in a scrapyard in 2035 due to it being well past its intended life expectancy.

I can't say I agree with this. Cars today have a longer life expectancy. I don't see that many 1955 Chevys being driven on a daily basis. Same for guns, they are machines and eventually wear out. These Glocks will get refurbished and resold. A new Glock for a department is probably $400-$500. Let's say the old ones are worth half that then it makes sense to get rid of the old guns and buying new.

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I didnt mean to dispute whatever failures they may have, I don't doubt they have legitimate problems. My point was that I have personally had and have known many others who had, they exact same models and they have faced far more use and abuse and still have a long life ahead of them. I would be curious if this was another situation of there being a bad lot of guns that was all delivered to the department, as its happened before, or if there is some other still unknown factor that is contributing. Im definitely a Glock fan, so perhaps my opinion is biased, but Ive also got 3 Glocks with over 100k rounds through them and never had any type of issue. There is no viable excuse for guns with this low round count and age to be breaking in such extreme fashion.
    I'm just curious. What calibers are the Glocks you own with 100k rounds each through them?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I do not know how much a person can blame lack of maintenance. What maintanence can be done of a slot molded in a plastic part? My gen 1 model 17 spit the slide tab out of the frame when it got old enogh to start getting brittle. It had a bunch of rounds through it, but I am sure that was no where near 25,000. It did not wear out, it just got old. That is just the nature of the product. Plastics continue to cure and age even after they leave the mold. Laboratory data suggests steel does too, but it is over thousands of years, not dozens. They were designed to serve a reasonable service life, and do it pretty well, after that they need replaced. Sounds like the service life is slightly south of 15 years. That is reasonable for a generic service pistol used by peace officers. If in the future, the department sets replacement up on a 12 years schedule, that is a pretty cheap cost per year. Say $600 per pistol with a 12 year life that is only $50/year per issued weapon. By then, the night sights lose their glow anyway.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Failure to replace the RSA for extended periods of time will cause a high round count Glock to wear out. The problem is that they don't typically stop running when the RSA is due to be replaced. Replacing the RSA is easily dismissed when administrators start pinching pennies and deciding what to spend money on and what can wait if the pistols are working. Glock frames flex under recoil, they flex more under recoil with a worn RSA.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Why would anyone expect a dept. to take care of and maintain their equipment when they can just buy new shiny ones at the taxpayer's expense? I also find it VERY hard to believe that a police dept. "wore out" these guns from use in 15 years. Most depts. only qualify maybe one or two times a year. How many rounds are they firing during day to day patrol work? I would love to know how many actual rounds have been put through these guns. We're not getting the whole story here.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Why would anyone expect a dept. to take care of and maintain their equipment when they can just buy new shiny ones at the taxpayer's expense? I also find it VERY hard to believe that a police dept. "wore out" these guns from use in 15 years. Most depts. only qualify maybe one or two times a year. How many rounds are they firing during day to day patrol work? I would love to know how many actual rounds have been put through these guns. We're not getting the whole story here.

[video=youtube;YTGnh0rcQsc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTGnh0rcQsc[/video]

Last edited:

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    When I was on reserves for a small town we carried the G22. We went to the range about 2 times a year with the local sheriff's dept. Every time they pulled up their truck and dropped the tailgate it was like Christmas...a big plastic tote over half full of brand new 40 cal rounds...we shot them all Lol. About 8-12 of us and we all had blisters on our hands and smiles on our faces.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I don't care if it is a Glock, I just think that 15 years is not a long time in terms of wearing out a pistol. I think there is a whole lot more to this story.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't care if it is a Glock, I just think that 15 years is not a long time in terms of wearing out a pistol. I think there is a whole lot more to this story.

Years are irrelevant. Rounds fired are. I love Sigs, but you can wear them out. Glocks too. Just the way machines work.

Train and you're wasting tax money. Don't train and you're not taking public safety seriously. Someone complains regardless.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    A 1911 without routine maintenance will fail, an ar 15 will fail, a Honda, Toyota etc.. As said earlier, the RSA on the G22 is recommended to be replaced around 3000 rounds. My issue G22 when we had them was maintained properly, and was shot a lot. I broke the trigger pin twice. The G22 was is the same dimensionally as the G17, on which it was based, but it was tweaked to fit the .40. The .40 beats up G22. Fifteen years is a long time for a duty weapon in my opinion.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Failure to replace the RSA for extended periods of time will cause a high round count Glock to wear out. The problem is that they don't typically stop running when the RSA is due to be replaced. Replacing the RSA is easily dismissed when administrators start pinching pennies and deciding what to spend money on and what can wait if the pistols are working. Glock frames flex under recoil, they flex more under recoil with a worn RSA.

This without a doubt, clearly they weren't inspected or maintained in those 15 years or they wouldn't have one day woke up with all their pistols broke at once.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Yes, those pistols should last longer than 15 years. How dare they want new ones, just because they are broken? If they switched from live ammo to dry firing for qualifications, it would save the taxpayers a bunch of money.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    This without a doubt, clearly they weren't inspected or maintained in those 15 years or they wouldn't have one day woke up with all their pistols broke at once.
    I'm thinking that paying someone to maintain the pistols would cost much more than buying new ones when they wear out.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

How would "proper maintenance" prevent a slide from cracking? Replacing springs (which they might have done) would have reduced stress, but if a slide is going to go, it's going to go.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    The frames were cracking, not the slides

Gotcha, haven't slept a lot lately and forgot what the article said

Damn plastic.

Again though the same could be said, how could the frames be prevented from cracking? Recoil springs could be replaced but polymer can only be flexed and abused for so long before it goes. Glock could have just had a "bad" batch of polymer (15 years isn't bad and I'm quite sure they would warranty them)

Top Bottom