• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Vert, I can see your 20k round count as a possibility, I think it's a bit generous, but definetly possible, what parts should be replaced in that time? Other than a recoil spring assembly, perhaps a couple trigger springs just for peace of mind, I can't think what else would be nessecary and all those parts can be swapped in 2 mins. I could see how it's possible that a super worn out recoil spring could contribute to frame cracking, but I'd call that a small contributing factor and not a cause.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Vert, I can see your 20k round count as a possibility, I think it's a bit generous, but definetly possible, what parts should be replaced in that time? Other than a recoil spring assembly, perhaps a couple trigger springs just for peace of mind, I can't think what else would be nessecary and all those parts can be swapped in 2 mins. I could see how it's possible that a super worn out recoil spring could contribute to frame cracking, but I'd call that a small contributing factor and not a cause.

Recoil spring and striker spring. Maybe trigger return spring. My Glock 23 is probably 10 years old. I bought it basically new in 2008. It sat in the bottom of a moving box for a couple of years before I bought it from a LEO buddy of mine. Sights are going dim, I did replace the recoil spring. Other then that I have never taken the slide apart or removed the striker. I would hate to guess the round count but I have shot USPSA with the gun and use it in several classes. It has been shot quite a bit, been checked in bags and left in hot/cold cars, dropped, carried, gotten rained on while fishing, run with a conversion barrel. Still ticking.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Yea, that's kinda what I figured, and why I don't really buy the lack of maintenance issue. Mine have all seen a lot of rounds and definetly gone more than 20k between spring changes. Again, mine were 9mms, but I'm positive my stock recoil spring had well over 50k through it.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Actually the only real purpose of the recoil spring is to return the slide forward and strip a round from the mag and chamber it. The recoil spring will not "save" a frame from being pounded to death.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Actually the only real purpose of the recoil spring is to return the slide forward and strip a round from the mag and chamber it. The recoil spring will not "save" a frame from being pounded to death.

Actually, that is not true. A worn out RSA is going to allow the slide to slam to the rear and batter the frame. That's typically how locking blocks and pins get cracked.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Most cops aren't gun guys. They don't like to qualify or clean their weapons. Getting them to do a parts exchange would require close personal supervision and some way to readily identify the new part(s). It's not likely that the individual officers would be motivated to closely inspect their sidearms (or even know what to look for) to head off any problems. Usually problems, as in this instance, appear during qualification. 15 years is a long time for a piece of police equipment to last.

This surprises me. Even for a piece of kit that may literally make the difference between life and death!?

Papadaca

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    NWi
    The way cops shoot guns on a regular basis several times a week, they need to be replaced, or updated to the aluminum competition frame.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I wonder if guns today are designed like cars of today. In other words, are they designed with an expected useful life and anyone running them after that point, does so with an expected level of failure higher than what would normally be acceptable. A 1955 Chevy will run forever if maintained well, but a 2015 BMW will certainly be in a scrapyard in 2035 due to it being well past its intended life expectancy.

Supposedly that was the genesis of the name and concept of Sig's SP 2022. Year 2022 as the purported target of the duty serviceability of the platform. In reality, I don't buy it. A marketing angle seems to be a much higher possibility.

Top Bottom