• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Went out tonight to the barn to bead some straw for the cows. When I moved a bale and there he sat, mister possum. I had my Ruger LCR .357 but I hesitated, remembering that it throws a flame about 3ft and I was standing in a barn full of highly combustible material. My point is I would like to have something a little smaller (.22) and light. My pocket holster would fit any J frame 2" barrel sized gun. Anyone have any favorites or ones to stay away from?
    Thanks.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Went out tonight to the barn to bead some straw for the cows. When I moved a bale and there he sat, mister possum. I had my Ruger LCR .357 but I hesitated, remembering that it throws a flame about 3ft and I was standing in a barn full of highly combustible material. My point is I would like to have something a little smaller (.22) and light. My pocket holster would fit any J frame 2" barrel sized gun. Anyone have any favorites or ones to stay away from?
    Thanks.

Walther P-22! Great little light auto that is a ton of fun to shoot! And it has a rail you could put a light on if you wanted too!

RangeJunkie

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Geist
    I believe Ruger either has released, or is going to release a LCR chambered in .22, so you could stay with a familiar platform as well as get you want taken care of!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You don't lke possums? I don't understand why you need to kill it. Unless , of course, you need meat.

If you think you need to, I would use a 22. A single shot is all you need. Or a rock.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    He's stealing my kitties food! :draw: This explains why my barn cats are so thin but they eat food like horses. It's been my experience that raccoons come and go but possums and skunks hang around and must be dealt with :ar15: I'll be packing my .410 for awhile.

elwoodward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Washington Co.
    ever thought about saving a few bucks and just kicking it pick it up by its tail take it outside and then have some target practice with it with the .357:ar15:... ah who am i kidding always looking for a reason to buy a gun besides "just because." :D

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It is just my opinion, but I don't think a .22 is right for an oppossum. Yes, it will work now and again, but I've watched a .22LR bounce off of an oppossum.

They are some VERY tough animals,and the LAST thing you want to do is **** one off and then corner it.

I would either opt for something with a little more punch, or I would trap him and relocate. After being trapped once or twice he'll not return.

If you DO use a .22LR, do NOT try to block it's way if it tries to leave.

tmkr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    You don't lke possums? I don't understand why you need to kill it. Unless , of course, you need meat.

If you think you need to, I would use a 22. A single shot is all you need. Or a rock.
    Ol'e Mr. possum has to eat too.They do perform a function.Relocate him if possible,or put the kitties food where he cant get it.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Something to consider. If you have a dog and kill the critter you are going to be picking up a lot more doggie dooo. Ask me how I know. BTW shoot him in the eye. That ain't so tough skinned.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    had one in my driveway a while back, too close to where my dogs hang out. didnt want to kill it, just make it run away. grabbed the paintball gun. shot all around it, it did not care. shot the tip of his tail, he did not notice. i was not wanting to maim, blind or possible leave the poor creature for dead so i put two on his hindquarters, he turned and looked at me, seemd to give me an odd look. couldnt shoot him as he was facing me as that would blind him, so i waited till he turned around. waited to see if he would leave, no. so i lit him him with a nice string of shots, at this point he got the hint and meandered off. tough little bugger.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    , but I've watched a .22LR bounce off of an oppossum.

I REALLY doubt a .22lr bounced off a possum. A .22lr will go through a few pieces of sheet metal or other thin metal at 50 yards. It will also penetrate all the way through a thawed turkey at 300 yards (unless that test was bogus and made up). Its NOT going to bounce off a possum.

Top Bottom