• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    The real question is from where could it have came from? I believe the closest bear population is probably s.east Kentucky. Could a black bear have migrated from there? Highly unlikely. From Michigan? Even more implausible. Don't get me wrong the wilds of the "bottoms" could definitely be habitat for bears. I just don't believe it but what he hey, I never would have believed there were mountain lions in Indiana if I hadn't seen the pics!

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I work in the woods everyday, hope you're wrong about the bear.

I think you need not worry. Bears normally keep their distance from people, even tho they will raid a campsite..... while the humans are out hiking, etc.

Just don't use the bathrooms at the I-65 rest areas!

BathroomBreak.jpg

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Saw a bear at henryville forest a few years ago, also saw a emu next to the horse camp a while back, saw a black panther jump across hwy 3 near charlestown in 1979-80, am sure they were pets that have been released.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Don't forget guys, a black bear was spotted and caught on film down along the Muscatatuck River south of Seymour two or three years ago. He/she then just disappeared. Pretty darn close to Scott Co. BTW, DNR verified the pic. The thing was going thru some guys trash.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've heard of feral hog sightings in Scott Co. but not bear.. I sure would hope someone could tell the two apart.

I can personally vouch for wild hogs (in Lawrence co. anyway)...seen in the open (like crossing the road in front of you), no way they look like a bear.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    The real question is from where could it have came from? I believe the closest bear population is probably s.east Kentucky. Could a black bear have migrated from there? Highly unlikely. From Michigan? Even more implausible. Don't get me wrong the wilds of the "bottoms" could definitely be habitat for bears. I just don't believe it but what he hey, I never would have believed there were mountain lions in Indiana if I hadn't seen the pics!

I read an article in the Louisville paper some time ago that said there was a small population in the Ft. Knox/Shepardsville/Bardstown area so it is very possible one or more made the swim.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    I work in Scott Co and asked around, nobody had heard anything about it. That included some heavy rednecked hunting types who frequent the bottoms on a frequent basis. Jury's still out for now I guess.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I am doing my best to see if he still has it. It was in Hardinsburg, IN.

Seems like 7-10 years ago, when I was living in Bloomington, there was a sighting of an animal that was described as a big black cat reported in the paper up there. Seems like it was dismissed just like cougars were until they started coming out of the woodwork a couple of summers ago. I hope you find that picture; that'd be cool if it is true.

Top Bottom