• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxxie02

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    May 23, 2008
    beer supplies

at the corner of hulman and 4th st. she has most if not everything you will need either for beer/wine/mead that is where i get most of my supplies..

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    I hope my husband don't see this, I bought him a beer making kit years ago...but his worst trial was when he was going to make gin about 30 years ago...all I remember is the gallon milk jugs with potatoes in it underneath our trailer in Las Vegas and them all exploding one day...I thought I was being bombed...talk about something stinking.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    it is illegal to make alchol without an alt. fuel or distillers license/tax

It is illegal to SELL any alcohol you make without any licensure.
    You may produce and consume it for your own enjoyment, or give it away if you wish.

Even if that weren't the case, try and stop anyone from doing so.
    Molon labe.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    It is illegal to SELL any alcohol you make without any licensure.
    You may produce and consume it for your own enjoyment, or give it away if you wish.

Even if that weren't the case, try and stop anyone from doing so.
    Molon labe.

Homebrewing and distilling are two different things. You have to have a federal registration for an alcohol still. Homebrewing doesn't require that.

foxxie02

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    May 23, 2008
    legality

it is not illegal to own a still, nor illegal to make the wash but once it is distilled then it is illegal.... whether you sell it or just drink it yourself. buy a still over 2 gallons and see what happens or get caught with processed alcohol in a mason jar and find out.... me ill pass..no visits from excise for me

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Homebrewing and distilling are two different things. You have to have a federal registration for an alcohol still. Homebrewing doesn't require that.

Difference being what, exactly, under the law? Not doubting you, but I do not understand the legal distinction. Alcohol greater than a certain percentage/proof is illicit, but beers/malts are legal?

it is not illegal to own a still, nor illegal to make the wash but once it is distilled then it is illegal.... whether you sell it or just drink it yourself. buy a still over 2 gallons and see what happens or get caught with processed alcohol in a mason jar and find out.... me ill pass..no visits from excise for me

I don't operate one, and I certainly wouldn't buy one, but to paraphrase my signature line from Lew Rockwell: "To outlaw knowledge of distilleries, one must first outlaw knowledge itself." Still, thank you for the clarification.

CopperT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    When I started brewing i did my first batch with bottles. That was a mess and took too long to get it to ferment. Kegging is the only way to go. You can get old soda kegs for about $50.00 used and a cheap CO2 kit. I built a "Kegerator" out of an old fridge that cost around $30.00. I have about $100.00 in the whole outfit. There's nothing like having ice cold beer fresh out of a keg anytime you want it. I have a great Octoberfest in the keg right now aging and waiting for our local Octoberfest.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Difference being what, exactly, under the law? Not doubting you, but I do not understand the legal distinction. Alcohol greater than a certain percentage/proof is illicit, but beers/malts are legal?

Distilling is illegal without the equivalent of a tax stamp.

Swiped from another site:
    You cannot produce spirits for beverage purposes without paying taxes and without prior approval of paperwork to operate a distilled spirits plant. [See 26 U.S.C. 5601 & 5602 for some of the criminal penalties.] There are numerous requirements that must be met that make it impractical to produce spirits for personal or beverage use. Some of these requirements are paying special tax, filing an extensive application, filing a bond, providing adequate equipment to measure spirits, providing suitable tanks and pipelines, providing a separate building (other than a dwelling) and maintaining detailed records, and filing reports. All of these requirements are listed in 27 CFR Part 19.

Brewing beer isn't distillation. For the most part, fermentation is legal, but distillation is illegal without the proper boxes being checked. States can then regulate further. For example, I think it's still illegal in Alabama to homebrew.

Federal law on homebrewing 27 CFR 25.205 - Production. | LII / Legal Information Institute

The CFR regarding distillation 27 CFR 19 - DISTILLED SPIRITS PLANTS | LII / Legal Information Institute

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    When I started brewing i did my first batch with bottles. That was a mess and took too long to get it to ferment. Kegging is the only way to go. You can get old soda kegs for about $50.00 used and a cheap CO2 kit. I built a "Kegerator" out of an old fridge that cost around $30.00. I have about $100.00 in the whole outfit. There's nothing like having ice cold beer fresh out of a keg anytime you want it. I have a great Octoberfest in the keg right now aging and waiting for our local Octoberfest.

AHHH!!!! :noway:

Ice cold? Are you seriously serving home brews that cold?

Top Bottom