• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    I still haven't shot the new G-26 I got last Friday. I've been busy working and plan to put the first rounds through it this Friday. I've never taken a pistol apart before and got the sudden urge to take my Glock apart. I watched a YouTube video and followed his directions. He did it in less then 30 seconds, disassembling and assembling. Me on the other hand, it took me no longer a couple of minutes. I thought it was pretty simple. I've never seen the inside of any handgun in person and thought it was interesting. Anyway, that's not why I am writing this post.

While it was apart, I wondered if it should be lubed before I take it out on it's first trip to the range?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, to me no question is a dumb question. I figured it'd be good to go, but I'd like to be sure because I want to do my best to pass this Glock on someday when I'm a old fart! I take care of my things.

Thanks, Gulley

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    I was always under the impression you should clean a gun right after you get it.. I mean, it won't hurt it, and it will get you a little more familiar with the firearm. Of course, this comes from the guy who takes apart his rifle all the time because I get bored..

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    I don't know how to clean or lube a gun. Any videos, suggestions, techniques, tips or products I should use? A sheriff I know said he and his other officers use Break Free.

cTEKs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    101 Lakes
    I don't know how to clean or lube a gun. Any videos, suggestions, techniques, tips or products I should use? A sheriff I know said he and his other officers use Break Free.

I always enjoy this guy's videos and there are plenty others out there to view.
    [ame="http://youtu.be/DZf4mUM10Vc"]http://youtu.be/DZf4mUM10Vc[/ame]

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    I watch hickok all the time and I've never seen this video! Where can I find Ballistol here in Indianapolis? Can I go to Lowes, Walmart or some other retailer? Or do I have to make a trip to the gun shop?

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    We just bought the wife a new g26 this last weekend. I read the instructions on how to take it apart and clean and where to oil it in the manual. There is some copper looking grease that is put on at the factory that the manual said to not clean out so if you decide to clean the gun don't remove the grease.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    order or buy a bottle of eezox. clean the nasty grease off. put the ezzox on.. and the deed is done for 1000+ rounds. just wipe it down afterwards.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    I was gonna say, if you bought it new or came with the box and paperwork, the owners manual tells you how to disassemble, clean and reassemble. Glocks are one of the easiest to maintain.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    We just bought the wife a new g26 this last weekend. I read the instructions on how to take it apart and clean and where to oil it in the manual. There is some copper looking grease that is put on at the factory that the manual said to not clean out so if you decide to clean the gun don't remove the grease.

If it's brand new, swab the bore, maybe a drop or two of light oil (CLP, or other gun oil) on the outside of the barrel, and in the frame-to-slide contact points, disconnector & trigger bar.

Go shoot it.

That's all. It's a Glock. Shoot it that way until the copper is gone, swabbing the barrel every few hundred rounds. (oily patch, many dry patches)

LEAVE THE COPPER STUFF ALONE

After about the first 1000 rounds, worry about properly cleaning it.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I can't help myself but to take apart a firearm when I first get it. I just like to see how its all put together and operates. Depending on if it's new or used, give it a cleaning to varying degrees. If I happen to splash a little Hoppes #9 on myself in the process, it makes a good cologne.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    First thing I do is the read the manual. Then to echo leftsock's reply - I have to field strip and lube a new gun (I can't help myself)!

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    With new guns there is a small, but non-zero chance that something might be obstructing the barrell. (it's happened before) So , at a minimum, disassemble it, check the barrell visually, run a wet patch thru it with solvent, some dry patches, and then a lightly oiled patch. A clean bore is a happy bore!:) safe shooting.

Top Bottom