• billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    bottle of eezox

order or buy a bottle of eezox. clean the nasty grease off. put the ezzox on.. and the deed is done for 1000+ rounds. just wipe it down afterwards.

I was able to buy Two Quart cans of Eezox last Summer, when MidWay had them on clearance...You DO NOT want to know what I paid for them??? Bill.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    If it's brand new, swab the bore, maybe a drop or two of light oil (CLP, or other gun oil) on the outside of the barrel, and in the frame-to-slide contact points, disconnector & trigger bar.

Go shoot it.

That's all. It's a Glock. Shoot it that way until the copper is gone, swabbing the barrel every few hundred rounds. (oily patch, many dry patches)

LEAVE THE COPPER STUFF ALONE

After about the first 1000 rounds, worry about properly cleaning it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This. Shoot it at least 200 times before you glean and lube it.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This. Shoot it at least 200 times before you glean and lube it.

This sounds kinda funny since the Glock owners manual specifies to clean/oil/lube the firearm before its first use, after every use, and once per month if not used. Do they put this in the manual for the fun of it? :dunno:

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    Anyone know where I can find Ballistol? Instead of online. I need to clean it before I go shooting tomorrow. Is there an alternative that's cheap or something I could use around the house until then?

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Anyone know where I can find Ballistol? Instead of online. I need to clean it before I go shooting tomorrow. Is there an alternative that's cheap or something I could use around the house until then?

Wally World has cans of CLP, branded Winchester.

O'Reilly Auto Parts, and Rural King, have Lucas gun oil.

If you're really strapped, use a wee bit of some 3-n-1, motor oil, crisco, moly grease, red bearing grease, whatever. The only difference will be the smell.

It's a Glock, it will be fine.

Glock Pistols - Glock Pistol | Glock Talk - Index2

If you're so worried, go ask these guys.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Unfortunately, I haven't heard of many places that carry Ballistol locally. (Supposedly, Applied Ballistics Systems in Lafeyette does, but I've never checked with them.)

You're stuck with MidwayUSA.com, Amazon.com, or directly from Ballistol.com

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    Wally World has cans of CLP, branded Winchester.

O'Reilly Auto Parts, and Rural King, have Lucas gun oil.

If you're really strapped, use a wee bit of some 3-n-1, motor oil, crisco, moly grease, red bearing grease, whatever. The only difference will be the smell.

It's a Glock, it will be fine.

Glock Pistols - Glock Pistol | Glock Talk - Index2

If you're so worried, go ask these guys.

I'm not worried at all. I'd feel just fine shooting my Glock without cleaning or lubing it on it's first shoot. I really want to try the Ballistol. I'm not strapped for cash. I just didn't really want to buy a cleaning/lube product only to not use it because I like that Ballistol can be used for cleaning and lube. The Winchester CLP, can I use it to both clean and lube with this product?

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    RemOil is pretty cheap, it's also sold at Wally World

Does this both clean and lube the gun?

Unfortunately, I haven't heard of many places that carry Ballistol locally. (Supposedly, Applied Ballistics Systems in Lafeyette does, but I've never checked with them.)

+1 Thanks man, just the answer I was looking for! Applied Ballistics is too far. I'll just order online. I mean I suppose I could use anything. Though this product has been highly recommended to me and I like the fact that it cleans/lubes. I don't know if there are any other products out like this. I'm new to shooting, so I'm not know what all products are out there and what they do...

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    Sure does, but like others have stated, go with CLP. I feel it's a better solvent than Rem.

I'll have to go to Walmart after work. So I'll grab Winchester CLP. They have the square cleaning things for the barrel? Sorry, I don't know the actual name. I'll see if I can find some pipe cleaners, maybe those will be of some help? Anything else or will I be set? Of course I already have paper towels.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I'll have to go to Walmart after work. So I'll grab Winchester CLP. They have the square cleaning things for the barrel? Sorry, I don't know the actual name. I'll see if I can find some pipe cleaners, maybe those will be of some help? Anything else or will I be set? Of course I already have paper towels.

They sell Hoppes Patches at most Wally Worlds, and Winchester universal pistol cleaning sets.

Pistol Cleaning Set

cTEKs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    101 Lakes

I have purchased Ballistol from MidwayUSA in the past. Have been really impressed with them so far and quick to ship the goods.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    I should get that instead of using the cleaning rod and brush that came with my Glock?

the rod and brush that came with it will work fine. down the road, you may want to get a 9mm bore [STRIKE]brush[/STRIKE] snake. q-tips come in handy, also.

for patches, you can buy them, or just cut up old rags, undies, t-shirts, hankies, whatever.

the rubber mats are nice, they have a blown up diagram of the pistol, but any workbench/countertop is fine. (once you get to the stage of dis-assembling it more, a couple of hockey pucks, one with a few 5/16" holes drilled in it, and a 3/32" punch, will come in handy)

most important thing to do before cleaning your Glock, is to PUT ALL MAGAZINES AND AMMUNITION IN ANOTHER ROOM. LOCK BACK THE SLIDE, AND STICK YOUR FINGER IN THE CHAMBER, WHERE THE BULLET WOULD BE.

CHECK IT AGAIN

I don't know about you, but the reason a lot of people buy Glock pistols, is due to their ease of maintenance, and forgiveness if you don't get a chance to clean it right away. Unfortunately, this simplicity seems to breed complacency. I don't want to hear about you getting Glock leg. SO CHECK THE CHAMBER AGAIN, BEFORE TRYING TO REMOVE THE SLIDE!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom