• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    My wife has the opportunity through work to start doing pre euthanasia photo shots for families with their pets. I want to surprise her for her birthday/Xmas and get her a camera to get started. Something user friendly that could be upgraded if she chooses. I want to keep the budget around $400 new or used. The photos will be edited on a MacBook Pro if that matters.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Does she have photographic skills? Rather than equipment buy her some lessons/classes.

I have a buddy who is a professional photographer. When we are out and about we can both take the same photo with the same iPhone and his will look amazing compared to mine. He just has a skill for lighting, angle, framing, setting, and simply capturing the moment.

Sometimes it’s not about the equipment.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I did some semi-professional photography as part of a side hustle a few years ago so I have some experience with trying to do this on the cheap. I am in no way an expert, but can offer some tips.

You really can't go wrong with Canon or Nikon cameras. Both have a wide variety of lenses that are easy to swap in and out as needed. Most DSLRs made within the last decade should be more than good enough to get started and will probably give her more features than she could use without a serious understanding of composition and techniques. They are good enough to shoot with the basic automated settings and do most of the refinement in post production with editing software on the computer.

She can get started with a small amount of gear, but it would be very helpful to have more than just the one lens that comes with the camera.

If she is going to be doing pet portraits, a decent macro lens will go a long way. I would factor it into your starter bundle, but it will eat into your $400 budget. Look for a good used bundle that has a couple of lenses with it

I was able to do a wide range of shots with a 18-55mm lens and a 60mm f/2.8 macro lens. The macro adds a lot of detail and really steps up the quality and detail in the photos.

My camera (Canon Rebel) is pretty ancient and basic by digital SLR camera standards. It does not shoot video. If I were to start over now I would look for one that can do video too. It gives you the potential for a second revenue stream through the potential to upsell packages. If these clients are taking photos before putting their pets down, they may want a short video too. Just another option to consider.

I'd also highly recommend a tripod. It doesn't have to be expensive, but don't go cheap either. It needs to be solid and quick to set up. A flimsy tripod can be very frustrating and cause all kinds of delays to the shoot. Don't forget a good camera bag to carry the gear in. I found mine used at a Goodwill for like $5. It helps to keep stuff like cables, battery charger, lenses, lens wipes, etc. together in one spot.

Other nice to haves would be spare batteries for the camera. A dead battery stops a photo shoot cold. Not a good look when working on a paid gig.

I second the recommendation on taking a few classes on composition or photo / video editing. Local libraries or community centers often offer them for free or very low cost.

Good luck.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

This is a very good do it all digital camera, IMO. The one lens is equivalent to 20mm wide angle through 1200mm extreme telephoto as well as macro capability without having to buy additional lenses. 18.1mp is plenty to work with in post production as well, plus it can be had from Best Buy so she can go handle one before making a purchase decision. Its so-called five axis anti shake is also quite capable of supporting hand held shooting in a variety of situations and it offers many shooting modes including burst shooting

There are also a number of video reviews on YouTube that include examples of photos taken with the camera

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    My wife has the opportunity through work to start doing pre euthanasia photo shots for families with their pets. I want to surprise her for her birthday/Xmas and get her a camera to get started. Something user friendly that could be upgraded if she chooses. I want to keep the budget around $400 new or used. The photos will be edited on a MacBook Pro if that matters.
    So the Venture would be to take images of an ailing pet with their custodians prior to carrying out a very difficult life changing event?

Not trying to be a jerk just trying to make sure I understood the venture.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Was a photo buff before the digital age when you actually had to adjust the camera. Nikon was my choice. Like then, Nikon and Cannon are the 2 major brands for the masses.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I went to a big high school, one of my shop classes actually had a segment on photography. The lessons I learned about composition and lighting have held true for 50 years. With digital, I can easily show my grandkids how easy it is to take better pics.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I have shot weddings, senior pics, and vacations with a Canon 70d. Spend money on lenses first over the body. I am upgrading soon and will make you a deal on some gear. Will pm you with link to my photo site.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    So the Venture would be to take images of an ailing pet with their custodians prior to carrying out a very difficult life changing event?

Not trying to be a jerk just trying to make sure I understood the venture.
    Yes. She is a vet tech and the clinic was going to offer this along with some other things

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    It is going to be hard to get good portraits in a Vet/Office environment with harsh office lighting. Will these be done at the clients home, or office. Outside, is best with indirect light.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm a huge fan of the the Fujifilm X series because the images straight from the camera are so good, but Cannon and Nikon are great, too.

Camera technology has slowed to the point that a used camera can hold is own these days, so that's where is look. There's a couple of good online stores that sell good used stuff.

And save some money for a flash.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I'm a huge fan of the the Fujifilm X series because the images straight from the camera are so good, but Cannon and Nikon are great, too.

Camera technology has slowed to the point that a used camera can hold is own these days, so that's where is look. There's a couple of good online stores that sell good used stuff.

And save some money for a flash.
    Ditto, I use the X100F as my go to travel camera now. Old school ergonomics, and results when using the fuji film sims.

Top Bottom