Beginning (or possibly beginning) to learn how to reload.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JRHawkins1118

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    I too got into reloading recently. The graybeards say it's a terrible time to start because component costs have soared. However I think it's a wonderful time because of 3 things:

(1) The graybeards aren't dead yet and they post their science on the internet for us younger reloaders to reference! A lot of the hard work and research has been done, all the old dudes have made the mistakes and developed great load data. I've literally group texted old reloaders and said "I'm want to load XX grains to shoot out of YY barrel length in Z model firearm, what you got..." and a wealth of information will come forth.

(2) Even though components are more expensive, and bulk/steel ammo can bring cost-per-round down to the same as reloading. It can still be cheaper especially as shooters are looking for atypical loads. I've loaded my own subsonics to play with my suppressors, and we're all aware suppressor buying has certainly expanded with ATF efile. It's like 60 cents per round vs 90 to a dollar. Hunting ammo too, I've loaded 200gr .308 for a lot cheaper than you can get off the shelf.

(3) Newer budget brand ammo probably load worse than you do. Ammo Inc...Stryker...even LAX and Freedom Munitions...a lot of questionable rounds have ended up in these big bulk money saver deals. As someone who had to dowel out .380s from my friends PPK...4 times...in one range day. It may not save you money, but in this ammo economy it could save you heartburn. :wallbash:

The best advice I got from an old reloader was "just ask me anything, don't be afraid to sound stupid because I know I've sounded stupider when I first started." The learning was probably the most rewarding thing for me. I'm now more aware of what it takes to make the rounds just go off right, and how/why firearms behave they way they do.
    I’m noticing you guys are very interested in helping people get going and learning. Thank you very much!

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Find the guys at Fort Wayne Rifle and Revolver, ask for help, and then hang on for dear life.

Also, for all bottleneck knowledge: "Handloading for Competition" Glen Zediker.

Buy that, and read it, BEFORE you start buying sh**.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    If you have a need to get started buying:

1) The Zediker book.

Maybe Lyman's "Pistol and Revolver Handbook". I liked it, but I have fewer tomes on pistol.

2) A GOOD stainless steel caliper. Mitutoyo, dial or digital, is the most cost-effective, while still being excellent. Coolant-proof unnecessary; data port unnecessary. Lifetime investment, if you don't drop it.

3) A good, well-bound composition type notebook. Calculator. Pencils.

4) Target supplies and/or stand. GOOD target supplies, not crap. Pistoleer.com in Illinois.

5) What are your bench/table/space constraints?

-Nate

Last edited:

JRHawkins1118

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    Find the guys at Fort Wayne Rifle and Revolver, ask for help, and then hang on for dear life.

Also, for all bottleneck knowledge: "Handloading for Competition" Glen Zediker.

Buy that, and read it, BEFORE you start buying sh**.
    I shot a match out there in the fall. I believe we start back up in April. They were great people. At the time reloading wasn’t even on my mind.

JRHawkins1118

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    If you have a need to get started buying:

1) The Zediker book.

Maybe Lyman's "Pistol and Revolver Handbook". I liked it, but I have fewer tomes on pistol.

2) A GOOD stainless steel caliper. Mitutoyo, dial or digital, is the most cost-effective, while still being excellent. Coolant-proof unnecessary; data port unnecessary. Lifetime investment, if you don't drop it.

3) A good, well-bound composition type notebook. Calculator. Pencils.

4) Target supplies and/or stand. GOOD target supplies, not crap. Pistoleer.com in Illinois.

5) What are your bench/table/space constraints?

-Nate
    I’ll look up that book. I have a nice small workshop. About a one car garage space.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    I haven't been reloading very long. But this is how i started. I got lucky and was given some equipment to start. Including an older lee reloading manual. I read it twice. And bought the updated version. And read that one twise. And decided by the bullets available that was hornady. Got their manual. And kept studding and playing around with the press and dies. Started a thread on here about people's worklow. That's how I learn best is by getting a bigger picture. I asked a lot of questions. And made sure i understood what was being said to me and what i was reading. All a while started buying components and equipment. Than made a few rounds of 9 mm and took them to the back yard and tested them. Than made 50 and took them to the range to test. I didn't want to get so far ahead that I wasn't learning from my mistakes. And I still study every chance I get about different bullets and powder. Now I am loading 9mm and have moved to 38 special. After I get very comfortable with the 38's I will either move to .40 or a 45. But my advice is to study and ask a lot of questions and make sure you understand as much as possible before you make your first round.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Holy Out of Print Prices, Batman!

That book ain't cheap...

Yessir. Unfortunately, Glen left us a little while back, and the legacy in his print items hasn't been picked up yet.

I'm not a wealthy man, so when I tell you that book can save you hundreds of dollars in poor decisions, if you start loading for accurate rifle ammo...

...I mean it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom