Beginning (or possibly beginning) to learn how to reload.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JRHawkins1118

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    I have noticed that there is truly a ton of information on this thread that is helpful.

Actually so much, I don’t really know where to start. Kind of like when I first started working on my own guns, I didn’t even intend to get into working on them much but as it turns out, I love it. The more I worked on them over the past year, the more questions I would come up with.

Basically, I am just getting back into shooting and even dabbled a little in competition last year. I’ll try more this year.

The cost of ammo can be crazy. I do however spend a lot of time doing dry fire practice. But I’m wanting to start up reloading 9mm.

Are there any recommended kits that can be added onto as I get better at it. What exactly would be a good starting point?

Thanks!

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Reloading 9mm really isn't cost effective unless you reload ALOT, I mean ALOT!

That being said, I've always enjoyed reloading. I am my own QC department, R&D department, etc. Also, I find reloading a therapeutic endeavor but I digress.

I am a fan of the following press but it is expensive and the cost of plates, etc. adds up fast.

I use it as a progressive press for pistol/high quantity ammo and like a single stage press for precision ammo.

Lots and lots of other press options - single stage to turrets.

I would say step one is define your budget.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I recommend that you get yourself a good reloading manual from Speer, Hornady, Sierra etc. and read the chapter on reloading safety and then the how to chapters. I learned on the Speer manual 30+ years ago so I'm partial to that one. It won't take long to get through it and you will then have a much better idea of how it's done and the different types of equipment that are available to do it.

After doing that, you'll have a hundred questions which the members of this forum will be happy to answer.

Last edited:

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I recommend that you get yourself a good reloading manual from Speer, Hornady, Sierra etc. and read the chapter on reloading safety and then the how to chapters. I learned on the Speer manual 30+ years ago so I'm partial to that one. It won't take long to get through it and you will then have a much better idea of how it's done and the different types of equipment that are available to do it.

After doing that, you'll have a hundred questions which the members of this forum will be happy to answer.
    This pretty much sums it up, I would also recommend a Lyman manual if you cast your own boolits.

10mm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2024
    Greencastle
    I personally use a Lyman and a Hornady manual, but I use a lot of cast lead and Hornady, specifically xtp bullets. I have at least two to cross reference powder charges for bullet weights. This has largely been unnecessary, but it makes me feel better.
    Been reloading about 15 years now and I can safely recommend a Dillon 550. It's seen more than 20k rounds pretty handily and will keep pushing out volume if you maintain it properly. Grease and cleaning go a rather long way.
    I also have a single stage lee "C" style press that has served dutifully for all those years and is what I typically use for 45-70 and other cartridges the really need lubrication to resize. It's probably only seen 4-5k rounds though.
    If you want to dabble, I'd get the typical lee starter kit and learn the ropes the slow way. If you're interested in volume get at least the 550 from Dillon. The progressive presses are not so much more complex as to be impossible to grasp as a beginner, but they can be intimidating if you don't have a grasp of single stage first. YouTube use to have a lot of good resources and I'm sure it still has a progressive press setup guide for beginners that will explain it simply. Don't be afraid of it and go for what you'll reasonably use in the future. As everyone else has said, there are quite a few threads that will help you out and don't be afraid of Lee dies.

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    You're going to need tools, gizmos, do-dads, trinkets, spinners, etc.

It adds up fast. If cost effective is your aim, reloading is not the game. If you are bored and want to learn a skill, then it is. Reloading only pays off if you reload thousands of rounds or if you are looking for precision rounds.

It takes dedication. Failing at reloading can be costly to a firearm or yourself.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but to try to make you understand that reloading isn't just a whim decision type thing.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you had asked the question 10 years ago, I'd say GO FOR IT! You could save so much by cranking out your own.

Post panic, recession, inflation, etc. its a wash. With the outrageous cost of primers the difference between off the shelf and bulk ammo isnt all that much. So the savings per round isnt enough to cover your time and energy.

You are buying ammo by the case to save money, right? Right?

The only time it really makes sense to reload in today's world is to get something you just cant get off the shelf. A bullet type like target flat points that nobody sells retail, or soft load 30.06 for a Garand. Or precision hand loads for long range competition shooting that match your rifle perfectly. Other than that, its generally better to stick with factory ammo.

But if cost isnt a factor and you just want to do it to have fun, knock yourself out! It is fun.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    If one buys well and learns to cast bullets on the cheap, with mining your local club you shoot at for free lead it's easy to save about half over buying decent range ammo.
    Small PP about 67 bucks a thou.
    Half a lb of Bullseye 30 bucks tops.
    Lee tumble lube 2 bucks.
    A few bucks of electric to run your lead pot.

I believe if one starts with Lee products you will easily break after a few thousand rounds loaded.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd go slow. Plan on being ready to load (or not) in a year or two.

Save all your brass. Watch a bunch of YouTube. Watch the classifieds for good deals on a press and other accessories.

The real crippler on making reloading 9mm be a bargain is powder and primers. Sadly, pricing on those components might get worse, before they get better. Still have to buy bullets also.

It's really good to be ready, whether you actually get to loading or not. Smart move would be to buy your equipment right, so you can easily resell if necessary.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.

Reloading 9mm could be beneficial if you want a load not available off the shelf. Steel challenge shooters load so that their guns barely cycles.

Reloading could help make you ammo shortage resistant.

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    I too got into reloading recently. The graybeards say it's a terrible time to start because component costs have soared. However I think it's a wonderful time because of 3 things:

(1) The graybeards aren't dead yet and they post their science on the internet for us younger reloaders to reference! A lot of the hard work and research has been done, all the old dudes have made the mistakes and developed great load data. I've literally group texted old reloaders and said "I'm want to load XX grains to shoot out of YY barrel length in Z model firearm, what you got..." and a wealth of information will come forth.

(2) Even though components are more expensive, and bulk/steel ammo can bring cost-per-round down to the same as reloading. It can still be cheaper especially as shooters are looking for atypical loads. I've loaded my own subsonics to play with my suppressors, and we're all aware suppressor buying has certainly expanded with ATF efile. It's like 60 cents per round vs 90 to a dollar. Hunting ammo too, I've loaded 200gr .308 for a lot cheaper than you can get off the shelf.

(3) Newer budget brand ammo probably load worse than you do. Ammo Inc...Stryker...even LAX and Freedom Munitions...a lot of questionable rounds have ended up in these big bulk money saver deals. As someone who had to dowel out .380s from my friends PPK...4 times...in one range day. It may not save you money, but in this ammo economy it could save you heartburn. :wallbash:

The best advice I got from an old reloader was "just ask me anything, don't be afraid to sound stupid because I know I've sounded stupider when I first started." The learning was probably the most rewarding thing for me. I'm now more aware of what it takes to make the rounds just go off right, and how/why firearms behave they way they do.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    A lot depends upon how much you shoot. The front part of reloading manuals are great. Read through it several times. If you just want to learn to reload a Lee Reloader kit is cheap. The next step up would be a single stage press. There are a lot of used presses for sale out there which are virtually new. If you intend on really getting into competitive pistol shooting, I'd suggest a progressive. Quality factory match ammo is expensive. I like Dillon reloading equipment. You should be able to get brass free. Coated lead bullets are not terribly expensive. I load 9mm because I have been reloading for decades and already had my reloading equipment, although I added a used Dillon 650 which came with a lot of stuff, including dies around a decade ago. Reloading isn't what I'd call fun, but it is satisfying to shoot my own ammo.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I just started about 3 years ago when primers became unobtainium but had a decent supply of components I bought previously. I invested in an RCBS Rebel II single stage kit and do not regret it one bit. It came with everything needed to start reloading for less than $400.

Not much savings for 9mm FMJ at the moment but a good place to start learning. Straightwall pistol are the simplest loads to learn with.

Loading my own .45 acp though has saved me quite a bit over buying commercial. My cost - $.21/round using Summit City bullets and have a supply of Hornady XTP as well.

With .223, I produce Sierra 69gr HPBT rounds for about $.45/round which sounds expensive until you compare to plain old 55gr fmj at the same price but a much superior round as well as being tailored to my rifle for extra accuracy.

It really depends a lot on your goal and purpose. For me, it is a hedge against the next ammo/supply shortage and with the rumors of a possible lack of nitrocellulose supply make it even more important for me to reload.

I still stock up on components whenever there are sales/hazmat/shipping deals to be had. Keep an eye on our local Site Vendor @Brian's Surplus for new shipments as they have many components available.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    You're going to need tools, gizmos, do-dads, trinkets, spinners, etc.

It adds up fast. If cost effective is your aim, reloading is not the game. If you are bored and want to learn a skill, then it is. Reloading only pays off if you reload thousands of rounds or if you are looking for precision rounds.

It takes dedication. Failing at reloading can be costly to a firearm or yourself.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but to try to make you understand that reloading isn't just a whim decision type thing.
    Don't forget the bits and bobs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Portage
    I say go ahead and start reloading. Everything is expensive today. You got to spend that money on something. People drink, smoke, play golf, drive sports cars that's all expensive too. Guns and shooting are fun but that is only half of it, reloading is the other half. I have been reloading for about 6 years now and with loading thousands of bullets. I enjoy it as much as shooting. I don't think the brand of equipment really matters. It's what works for you. I have 4 Lee presses 3 are progressive and 1 is a turret press. I have loaded 9mm, 357 magnum, 38sp, 32 S&W long, 223, 30-30, 270 and 32-20. I know you save a lot on big calibers, but 9mm is probably my favorite to load. Lee works for me because I am in no hurry. If time is an issue maybe other brands would be better. I hope you try out reloading and see if it is good for you also. Like it was said earlier shop around and check the classifieds for deals. I got most of my stuff that way.

Jim

JRHawkins1118

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    I say go ahead and start reloading. Everything is expensive today. You got to spend that money on something. People drink, smoke, play golf, drive sports cars that's all expensive too. Guns and shooting are fun but that is only half of it, reloading is the other half. I have been reloading for about 6 years now and with loading thousands of bullets. I enjoy it as much as shooting. I don't think the brand of equipment really matters. It's what works for you. I have 4 Lee presses 3 are progressive and 1 is a turret press. I have loaded 9mm, 357 magnum, 38sp, 32 S&W long, 223, 30-30, 270 and 32-20. I know you save a lot on big calibers, but 9mm is probably my favorite to load. Lee works for me because I am in no hurry. If time is an issue maybe other brands would be better. I hope you try out reloading and see if it is good for you also. Like it was said earlier shop around and check the classifieds for deals. I got most of my stuff that way.

Jim
    I didn’t think about looking in classified. That’s a good idea. I usually only look at guns. lol. I think I would enjoy it as well. I have started reading all of these replies and checking pricing.

Top Bottom