• ...and so much more!
  • grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Beretta Malfunction(Update)

So the slide on my Beretta 92fs almost never locks back after the last round. At first I thought it was just the aftermarket magazine but the factory mag also did the same thing. :( I was using 115gr 9mm and I don't want to change what grain I use just so the gun will function right.

So whats next? Contact Beretta and ship it to them?
    Anyone else have the same problem?

On the plus side the it is very accurate.

UPDATE, new info

Last edited:

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    did you buy it new? and if so has it done it since then?
    you can always just get used to counting.. you should know how many shots you have and how many you have fired :draw:

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    I have never had this occur with my 92FS. In fact with over 2,000 raounds thru her, not a single FTF or FTE. Hope someone can help you out.

I agree, the 92FS is definitely a good shooter. Much better than my ability to guide it.

Speedgelb986S

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Brownsburg
    How old are the factory magazines?
    How many rounds have been cycled through them?
    I'd be willing to bet the magazine springs are worn out.
    Alternatively, post a pic of your slide stop with the slide locked back. If you bought the gun used, the slide stop might be damaged.
    Either issue should be cheaper to fix than the shipping costs to send the gun back to Beretta.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    So the slide on my Beretta 92fs almost never locks back after the last round. At first I thought it was just the aftermarket magazine but the factory mag also did the same thing. :( I was using 115gr 9mm and I don't want to change what grain I use just so the gun will function right.

So whats next? Contact Beretta and ship it to them?
    Anyone else have the same problem?

On the plus side the it is very accurate.

The weight of the bullet used isn't going to matter as long as you've got the power (powder charge) to make the slide go all of the way back. If the slide is going all the way back, then it's either a mag issue or a slide issue. One or the other is not catching. Whether it be the follower on the mag or the slide stop on the slide.

If you have a new magazine that's never been used see if it works with it. If it still won't catch, send it to Beretta.

grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Yes its brand new. I bought it around a month and a half ago.

I shot it the day I bought it and I dont remember it having this problem (with the new factory mags). I took it apart to clean it(maybe I didn't put it back together right:dunno:, but I doubt it.) Then I bought some used mags and the very next time I went shooting it had the problem with both the factory mags and the aftermarket mags.

I was using federal 115g so I don't think its the ammo.

grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    How old are the factory magazines?
    How many rounds have been cycled through them?
    I'd be willing to bet the magazine springs are worn out.
    Alternatively, post a pic of your slide stop with the slide locked back. If you bought the gun used, the slide stop might be damaged.
    Either issue should be cheaper to fix than the shipping costs to send the gun back to Beretta.

Its new so maybe like 150 rounds all from me. Everything is new so.

When I pull the slide back myself withan empty mag it locks back. If that means anything.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Its new so maybe like 150 rounds all from me. Everything is new so.

When I pull the slide back myself withan empty mag it locks back. If that means anything.

Sounds like it's time to giver berretta a call. Like others, I've never had a single problem with my 92.

If you call tem, keep us posted on what they say. I am very curious about this. Good luck!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Give it another good cleaning and oil it well.
    It's still new and sounds like the ammo isn't getting the slide all the way locked.
    It's stiff, possibly dirty, and needs shot more to loosen everything up.
    You may want to go to a heavier ammo for a while to break it in a bit more.
    When you can pull the slide back and it works properly that's the main clue to me.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am an old 1911 man and have shot for years with a high thumb hold. (Thumb above the safety) Sometimes I catch myself doing the same thing with my Beretta. Since the Beretta has a long slide release, the tip of my thumb catches the slide release at the exact moment when the magazine spring is trying to push it up, resulting in the slide slipping forward. Maybe check your grip, Good Luck

grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I am an old 1911 man and have shot for years with a high thumb hold. (Thumb above the safety) Sometimes I catch myself doing the same thing with my Beretta. Since the Beretta has a long slide release, the tip of my thumb catches the slide release at the exact moment when the magazine spring is trying to push it up, resulting in the slide slipping forward. Maybe check your grip, Good Luck

I hadn't thought about that. Thank you. I really hope that its just me and I can fix it. Because it is my favorite handgun and I am very accurate. :ar15:

Ill keep the guys who want to know posted how this goes if I do give Beretta a call.

Speedgelb986S

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Brownsburg
    One other possibility, since it is brand new, is that the recoil spring is just a little stiff, keeping the slide from moving all the way back to the slide stop position. Every time I buy a new semi-auto, I let it sit for a week or two between shootings with the slide locked open. That will keep the recoil spring compressed and loosen it up a little for the next time you shoot it. Good luck.

grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    One other possibility, since it is brand new, is that the recoil spring is just a little stiff, keeping the slide from moving all the way back to the slide stop position. Every time I buy a new semi-auto, I let it sit for a week or two between shootings with the slide locked open. That will keep the recoil spring compressed and loosen it up a little for the next time you shoot it. Good luck.

Ill try this. Maybe I could buy a lighter recoil spring? Do you think that would help?

grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    So I just ran to the range down the road and have good news and bad news.

Good news is that the problem was me.. I had my finger on the slide release.

Bad news; It still didn't stay back 100% of the time, with any of the mags.
    Also I forgot to mention this.. First picture was yesterday. The Second picture was just awhile ago. And the first picture happened more than once:(
    mail1_zps88325ea6.jpg

mail_zpsb60e5e2e.jpg

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Hows your grip?...Rock solid like your life depended on it?...it should be.

Its real easy to "loosen up" on that big comfy beretta grip and get sloppy leading to limp wristed stove pipes and fail to feeds..

Tighten up your wrists, use hot/factory ammo, and you should'nt have that problem....also those cheap $10-12 18rd "surplus" gun show mags are junk...pitch em...the followers are made out of cheese or somthing.

If it doesnt say PB (Pietro Beretta) or Mec-Gar, I woulnt use it.

Keeps use posted....Berettas dont fail often so Im banking on mags, ammo, or user....no offense intended....Ya got a good gun there.

God bless
    -Shred

Top Bottom