• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Since nobody pointed it out, unless I missed it, the oldest firearm manufacture in the world is "Beretta". Very historic and highly respected name. :D

As to recoil, very little as they are heavy enough, and robust enough, and have a long recoil spring that there really is very little perceived recoil.

I think they're actually the oldest manufacturer in the world, firearm or otherwise. Several hundred years, and owned by the Beretta family the whole time.

The 92FS is a great pistol. You'll be pleased with it, as long as you can get used to the large grip frame.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    There are older manufacturers, but Beretta's been around a long time.

The recoil with a 92 is actually very light. XGF didn't mind the 92FS at all, but 9x19 out of the Taurus 709 was too much for her. .380 was good for her, and .45ACP was off the charts.

alpha0486

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 19, 2011
    New Palestine
    Used them in the military. Reliable, never had a misfire. Springs on the mags went quickly on the issued one though. Would actually like to shoot one that I did not have to re white the sites on it and look like it was dragged behind a humvee for a few miles.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    I have average hands, have held one but never fired. Is there much recoil?
    I had a 92FS, and sold it to get my 96FS Inox. I let my 65 year old, 5'4" mother, who had never shot a firearm in her life, fire the 96 and she had no problems handling it. The full size frames of the 92s and 96s, and the heavy actions absorb a lot of energy.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    With the Beretta already being a large pistol ,its a sweetheart to shoot with the 40 cal (Ive owned a Beretta centurionG & have a 96 Inox Brigadier 96)

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I have a 92G and a KelTec sub 2k. I love the combo. The 92 points very well for me. In a world of polymer pistols there is a special place in my heart for the 92.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Very fine weapon with alot of aftermarket support and factory support as well. Parts and accessories are plentifull. You can pick up a nice used one for around $400. Beretta makes high quality firearms.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Very fine weapon with alot of aftermarket support and factory support as well. Parts and accessories are plentifull. You can pick up a nice used one for around $400. Beretta makes high quality firearms.
    .....and then sticks .39 cent plastic guide rods in them and won't sell many of their products in the USA... Seriously though, I love Beretta but those two issues bug the crap out of me.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Actually that plastic guide rod has proved to be an excellent choice in pistols that are used in The Sand Box. It is amazing what they can do with plastic these days.

And yes, there are a few Berettas sold in Europe that they will not sell here. They really don't seem to pay attention to what the customer wants when it comes to the 92 series, like an Inox compact! :D

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have a 96D that I've shot quite a lot. I have had two 92FS's. The latest 92FS was just purchased and I'm anxious to take it to the range. I'm not a big fan of the traditional double-action and manual safety on the 92FS, but it is what it is. For serious self-defense, I much prefer the 96D for the always double-action feature, bigger caliber and no manual safety. Beretta has a winner in these pistols.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    They're fantastic pistols; if a bit large.

The combo of the pistol + carbine is a good idea, too. After purchase, hunt around to find a source for inexpensive surplus mags and buy several.

-J-

This is great advice...

I shot my first one today at the range when a nice guy let me try his. It was a real pleasure to shoot.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Actually that plastic guide rod has proved to be an excellent choice in pistols that are used in The Sand Box. It is amazing what they can do with plastic these days.

And yes, there are a few Berettas sold in Europe that they will not sell here. They really don't seem to pay attention to what the customer wants when it comes to the 92 series, like an Inox compact! :D
    From my experience and anecdotes FROM the sand box, the sand will shred the plastic. It grinds it apart like sandpaper. My biggest problem is that it flexes reducing accuracy.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    From my experience and anecdotes FROM the sand box, the sand will shred the plastic. It grinds it apart like sandpaper. My biggest problem is that it flexes reducing accuracy.
    I've got to disagree with you on this one. I had an accurized Beretta 92FS Brigadier built by a well-known gunsmith, Tony Kidd. It was built for bullseye pistol shooting, specifically CMP Excellence-In-Competition matches. When he built the gun, he left the plastic guide rod in place. That gun will shoot a 2" ten shot group from the Ransom Rest at 50 yards.

Top Bottom