• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Those were my same criteria. If I could not find a decent one for under $800, I was going to pass and get one that I could build up. I was recommended a SA Range Officer Champion, but that was too tall for me. I wanted something that was VERY close to the size of a Glock 19. Then they released the Range Officer Compact, which brought it to the same size. I went and help three different 1911s and after being offered a GREAT deal by Beech Grove Firearms, I went and bought it that night. I shoot it better than my Glock, by just a hair, but I bought it as a range toy/back up carry handgun. I'm glad I bought it too. Depending on where you are, I might be able to meet up on a Thursday or Sunday and you can test it out for yourself.

Obligatory picture:
    339m49k.jpg

Attachments

• 339m49k.jpg
      339m49k.jpg
      398.5 KB · Views: 1

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I love the look of the Wilson and even some of the Kimbers, but do people actually carry those? I'd think the wear from carrying it would hurt the value of the gun. Does stainless steel show holster wear? I'd be willing to step up to the $1500 range if there is a noticeable difference in quality, fit, and finish. I'm looking for a gun to last a lifetime, not just something I'm going to sell at a loss in a year. :-)

Every gun you buy and use is pretty much guaranteed to be sold at a loss, the trick to this is buy the right gun the first time and not have to "trade up" later to the ideal gun for your particular needs. Me personally I carry both my Dan Wessons all the time that is what they are made for, my personal guns are the ECO (officer sized, alloy frame) and the VBOB (commander sized, steel frame) both are in .45Auto (the ECO comes in 9mm a very nice shooter). Kimbers are overpriced crap, the coating they use is only slightly better than Krylon spray paint and chips off the second you really start to use the gun.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/371475-review-dan-wesson-eco-45-acp.html (my in depth review of the Dan Wesson ECO with a close comparison to the Kimber CDP II)

The ECO only comes in the "duty treat" finish as it was designed from the ground up to be a carry gun. The Duty Treat is not like a Duracoat or a Ceracoat it is very comparable to the Melonite or Tenifer finish on other guns. The closest thing I have found to Duty Treat is Severns customs "Hard Hat Treatment" Hard Hat Treatment

Here is my ECO after a year of holster wear (I carry mine in a SharkTac custom Kydex holster made to fit the gun specifically, and it is wearing aftermarket Crimson Trace master series G10 laser grips). As you can see the only wear the gun is showing is the thumb safety is loosing some finish where my thumb rides it while shooting.
    HwqGYIGh.jpg

IMHO the ECO is the best bang for the buck performance and quality wise for the price out there hands down.
    CZ-USA DW ECO - CZ-USA

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Every gun you buy and use is pretty much guaranteed to be sold at a loss, the trick to this is buy the right gun the first time and not have to "trade up" later to the ideal gun for your particular needs. Me personally I carry both my Dan Wessons all the time that is what they are made for, my personal guns are the ECO (officer sized, alloy frame) and the VBOB (commander sized, steel frame) both are in .45Auto (the ECO comes in 9mm a very nice shooter). Kimbers are overpriced crap, the coating they use is only slightly better than Krylon spray paint and chips off the second you really start to use the gun.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/371475-review-dan-wesson-eco-45-acp.html (my in depth review of the Dan Wesson ECO with a close comparison to the Kimber CDP II)

The ECO only comes in the "duty treat" finish as it was designed from the ground up to be a carry gun. The Duty Treat is not like a Duracoat or a Ceracoat it is very comparable to the Melonite or Tenifer finish on other guns. The closest thing I have found to Duty Treat is Severns customs "Hard Hat Treatment" Hard Hat Treatment

Here is my ECO after a year of holster wear (I carry mine in a SharkTac custom Kydex holster made to fit the gun specifically, and it is wearing aftermarket Crimson Trace master series G10 laser grips). As you can see the only wear the gun is showing is the thumb safety is loosing some finish where my thumb rides it while shooting.
    HwqGYIGh.jpg

IMHO the ECO is the best bang for the buck performance and quality wise for the price out there hands down.
    CZ-USA DW ECO - CZ-USA

Looks brand new even after a year! I'm planning on keeping this gun for my lifetime, so what I meant by "not trading it for a loss" was exactly what you addressed. I didn't want to buy a piece of over priced junk only to realize I should have paid the 10-20% more and get something I can give my grand kids 40 years from now. The Springfield 1911 9mm compact looks extremely nice and costs 720-750. Does it have a nice trigger out of the box, or do I have to have someone work on it? I guess my point is that I could put a V8 engine in a Honda Civic for the same price I could get a Corvette. But at the end of the day it is what it is, right? If I put $300 of work into a $700 gun, it's still just a $700 gun. Does the Dan Wilson need anything out of the box to be the best gun you've ever shot?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Looks brand new even after a year! I'm planning on keeping this gun for my lifetime, so what I meant by "not trading it for a loss" was exactly what you addressed. I didn't want to buy a piece of over priced junk only to realize I should have paid the 10-20% more and get something I can give my grand kids 40 years from now. The Springfield 1911 9mm compact looks extremely nice and costs 720-750. Does it have a nice trigger out of the box, or do I have to have someone work on it? I guess my point is that I could put a V8 engine in a Honda Civic for the same price I could get a Corvette. But at the end of the day it is what it is, right? If I put $300 of work into a $700 gun, it's still just a $700 gun. Does the Dan Wilson need anything out of the box to be the best gun you've ever shot?

None of my Dan Wessons have needed any extra work then only extra thing i have ever done to any of them is add the laser grips to my ECO because I like a laser on my primary carry gun. The Springfield is a fine pistol and honestly Springfield triggers are hit or miss for me, but I am also very picky when it comes to 1911 triggers I like a 4 pound "glass rod" break and not a "rolling" break. The Range Officer compact lacks any front strap checkering as well and if you want that it will be relatively costly to add due to the fact the frame would have to be refinished, Night sights will also have to be added to the Springfield (I think all carry guns should have night sights personally).

This is just my opinion but I would personally buy the gun that is 100% ready to go out of the box especially when it comes to a carry gun, as you can see in the review I posted allot of work goes into each Dan Wesson to make sure it is the best possible pistol for the job and will go bang 100% of the time (never had a jam in my Dan Wessons, cannot say that for my Springfield Operator). In order to trick out the Springfield to be like the Dan Wesson you would easily have to spend $1000 extra at the gunsmiths and it still probably would not be as good in all honesty.

If you are ever around the kokomo area drop me a line I would be more than happy to let you shoot the ECO or my VBOB there is a reason I rant and rave about the guns.

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I saw buds have some good prices on the Dan Wilson's, even some nice looking used ones. I noticed people on different sites complaining about the quality being hit or miss? Is this true or just a rep for another company throwing dirt? How is the DE/CZ customer service? What's the warrenty on Dan Wilson?

I also like a nice clean breaking trigger and definitive reset. That's one reason I want a 1911. I want the best trigger possible.

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I saw buds have some good prices on the Dan Wilson's, even some nice looking used ones. I noticed people on different sites complaining about the quality being hit or miss? Is this true or just a rep for another company throwing dirt? How is the DE/CZ customer service? What's the warrenty on Dan Wilson?

I also like a nice clean breaking trigger and definitive reset. That's one reason I want a 1911. I want the best trigger possible.

The Stainless guns have been having some issues, the guns with the Duty Treat (like the ECO) have not been having any problems at all, the stainless guns were having galling issues. Dan Wessons warranty is top notch they cover shipping costs both ways and turn around is like a week if you have any issues. None of the three Dan Wessons I have had any problems including the full sized Stainless Pointman 9MM.
    bAcSTF3h.jpg

DarrenL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2014
    East-Central
    I love the look of the Wilson and even some of the Kimbers, but do people actually carry those? I'd think the wear from carrying it would hurt the value of the gun. Does stainless steel show holster wear? I'd be willing to step up to the $1500 range if there is a noticeable difference in quality, fit, and finish. I'm looking for a gun to last a lifetime, not just something I'm going to sell at a loss in a year. :-)

I carry my Wilson Combat ULCC 45 every day, thats why I bought it. Amazing quality, accuracy and support, my life depends on it and my kids can decide what to do with it when I'm gone.

darren

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I'm going to second the guy that suggested the Kimber Aegis earlier. I purchased one off a fellow member a couple years ago and I love it. I've owned quite a few handguns but I don't keep a lot of them. Just the ones I'm most fond of; and I've never even considered selling the Aegis. I've never had a malfunction that wasn't magazine related (mecgar mags run flawlessly in it), and it's almost too easy to shoot in terms of accuracy and recoil. It's the gun I start friends out on when they want to get into shooting.

I'd have to agree with the guy above regarding the finish. Mine doesn't show any holster wear but it's not hard to scratch. Personally, I don't care about the finish if it's something I'm going to use. But to each his own. If you do look into it, don't let the retail price deter you. I got mine lightly used for under a grand.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I'll second the Hi-Power as the best option for a 9mm 1911. Its a JMB design intended for the 9mm, not a 45 gun made to work with a smaller cartridge. Not only that, but as a carry gun, the high power carries easily, has a higher capacity, and looks good doing its job. Remove the mag safety, and the trigger has the potential to be just as good as the 1911.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have a full size 9mm Springfield Range officer. Kind of plain looking but is accurate and reliable. I would have no reason to believe the compact version is any less. For your budget, get a Springfield Range officer, a couple extra magazines and $250 worth of ammo.

I have one also. I use factory mags, Dawson 10 round mags and have never had any malfunctions with either. I would stake my life on my RO.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    9mm in a 1911 is a joy to shoot. I have several others in a 45 that are just as fun to shoot but the reloading cost is much cheaper on the 9mm. I understand that the original 1911 was 45 and the purest want it kept that way, but I also enjoy the 2011's too.

If the gun is a shooter and not a collector 1911 that someone wants to hang on the wall then have at it with a 9mm you will be happy. After all we have advanced far beyond the muskets haven't we?

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    9mm in a 1911 is a joy to shoot. I have several others in a 45 that are just as fun to shoot but the reloading cost is much cheaper on the 9mm. I understand that the original 1911 was 45 and the purest want it kept that way, but I also enjoy the 2011's too.

If the gun is a shooter and not a collector 1911 that someone wants to hang on the wall then have at it with a 9mm you will be happy. After all we have advanced far beyond the muskets haven't we?

My daily concealed carry is a musket. How many Hessians has a glock killed? It's like shaking hands with George Washington. Kind of a pain to have to carry muzzle up so the ball doesn't roll out, but thankfully crossbreed makes a supertuck for it.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Colt Gov. model is a fine 9mm 1911! mind you it is a fs but a real shooter for sure.

Top Bottom