• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captianbullseye

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 31, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I am interested in making a shotgun purchase, it would be my first. I want a shotgun that I can take into the field and shoot squirrels on day and turn around and shoot ducks the other. I want the price to be lower than $450. I want it in 12 gauge and pump.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 are probably popular and you can't really go wrong with either. After market add on's are available for both and they both have MANY options for you to choose from. Both are very versatile. Good luck whatever direction you end up going.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    No problems with my 870. I'd like to see your stats on failure rate of the 870 vs the mossberg instead of just hear say. It's Chevy vs Ford. They both have their positives and they both have their negatives. You do your research, and decide which design you prefer.

Oh, and another vote for the 870.

Mossberg 500. The quality of the Remington 870 express has declined in the last few years.

kb66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Noblesville
    Kind of a Chevy or Ford argument but it's hard to beat the 870 for reliability, versatility and aftermarket accessories. +1 for the 870

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    No problems with my 870. I'd like to see your stats on failure rate of the 870 vs the mossberg instead of just hear say. It's Chevy vs Ford. They both have their positives and they both have their negatives. You do your research, and decide which design you prefer..

Ok then, how about Mossberg 500 because F*#% Freedom Arms Group and all their **** products for their raping of the Remington, Marlin and Bushmaster names?

I mean can you honestly sit there and say with a straight face that Remington, Marlin, Bushmaster, Remington/UMC ammo or any other product that flies the Freedom Arms flag is BETTER than it was before?

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    both will serve the OP's intent. however the choice should be based on user defined ease of use; with the location of the safety being the main thing. however I have a few 870's and zero 500's.....if that tells you my vote.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    The ejector on the 870 is riveted on (gunsmith would have to replace) the Mossberg is screwed on (you can easily replace it yourself), the new 870's tend to rust easy, the trigger guard is now plastic, and since Freedom Arms took over QC for the express is bad (not the higher end wingmaster). The Mossberg is built to military specs Mossberg 500 Tactical ? 12-Gauge, Pump-Action Shotgun with Tactical Stock - Keepshooting®. A 870 express built 10 years ago is a much better shotgun then the ones built today.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    All hear say on the 870 QC. I've seen YouTube video after youtube video of 870 AND mossberg (500 AND their higher end 590) shotguns failing. Typically, it's either an easy fix, or its some stupid modification the user did and botched. If it's really the gun, either manufacturer will take care of you if something is wrong.

For those claiming the 870 is junk and the mossbergs are better, I'd like to see your warranty numbers from each company. Remember, the Internet tends to blow things out of proportion. Both of these are good shotguns. Neither are high dollar custom jobs. Cheap factory guns like either of these will have some percentage that are in need of warranty. The main thing is that if you get a lemon, either of these companies will take care of you.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 are probably popular and you can't really go wrong with either. After market add on's are available for both and they both have MANY options for you to choose from. Both are very versatile. Good luck whatever direction you end up going.

This^^^^^

The other thing that is nice about both of these models is the fact that there are a TON of used ones out there. You can pickup a used Remington 870 or a used Mossberg 500 on the cheap now days. If they do happen to need any work, any competent gunsmith can work on them pretty easily and parts are easy to come by. This makes it easy to keep them working years and years down the road.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I could say the same of mossberg. Everything was better "back in the day." I'd also say that a new 870 vs a new 500 or 590, the remington feels better when I pick them up side by side. But again, that's just personal preference.

The action breaks in and slicks up. So yes, a good used example will likely feel slicker than a BNIB one. That goes for mossberg too.

Take your pick, it's chevy vs ford. It's not a choice between a good gun and one that used to be good and is now a turd as some would want you to think.

And if the new 870s are junk, how would you explain all of the votes in this thread for it???

Anyone who doubts the QC issue with Freedom Arms products, take a 870 Express from 10 years ago and compare it to a new 870 Express side by side. :)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom