• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Disagree BBI

My Mom is 75 yrs old and very petite. She shoots it very good at a distance out to 7 yrds. It was a rental though so the action might have been broke in.

Petite isn't the issue. Weak hands have little to do with size, and are often not related to overall strength in the older folks. My dad has never been called petite, but with rheumatoid arthritis his grip strength is compromised. A larger grip is much easier to hold for him than a smaller one. My grandmother, on the other hand, was not physically imposing but crocheted and knitted so her hands remained reasonably strong and she kept her finger dexterity. She could shoot a plow handle double action revolver extremely well. If you're ever in a nursing home, note that some of the forks and spoons will have foam rubber tubes over the handle. The increased grip diameter makes it easier to hold because they don't have to close the hand as tight to get the same amount of purchase. Hand strength varies based on the task, finger position, etc. For most of us in good health and with no joint issues, we never notice. Get a few pins and rods in your hand and you'll start to notice a lot during rehab (yes, personal experience) how grip strength changes at different angles.

Acknowledging that "weak" is a sliding scale, if one's hands are truly reduced to the point that simply holding a 9mm is difficult, than its reasonable to assume grip strength is compromised. The harder one has to squeeze with the dominant hand to have a good purchase, the harder it is to isolate the trigger finger, ESPECIALLY with a stiff trigger.

For all of those reasons, I would recommend something with a larger grip surface that will fill her hands so that a minimal squeeze results in maximum purchase, sufficient room for the support hand to provide recoil control, a light recoiling round, and a light trigger. The LCR does not fit that. Its tough to get the support hand involved, long and heavy trigger, small diameter grip, no way to thumb cock to reduce trigger effort, and if arthritis is a concern, the cylinder release is small and can be stiff prior to break in. I'm going to guess an older lady with weak hands isn't going to put a lot of rounds down range to wear in the gun.

I have no doubt your mom can shoot an LCR just fine at 7 yards. I also have no doubt that'll probably be enough for her. However, just for funsies if you put a Cheetah or similar gun in her hands I bet you she'd be even better.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Petite isn't the issue. Weak hands have little to do with size, and are often not related to overall strength in the older folks. My dad has never been called petite, but with rheumatoid arthritis his grip strength is compromised. A larger grip is much easier to hold for him than a smaller one. My grandmother, on the other hand, was not physically imposing but crocheted and knitted so her hands remained reasonably strong and she kept her finger dexterity. She could shoot a plow handle double action revolver extremely well. If you're ever in a nursing home, note that some of the forks and spoons will have foam rubber tubes over the handle. The increased grip diameter makes it easier to hold because they don't have to close the hand as tight to get the same amount of purchase. Hand strength varies based on the task, finger position, etc. For most of us in good health and with no joint issues, we never notice. Get a few pins and rods in your hand and you'll start to notice a lot during rehab (yes, personal experience) how grip strength changes at different angles.

Acknowledging that "weak" is a sliding scale, if one's hands are truly reduced to the point that simply holding a 9mm is difficult, than its reasonable to assume grip strength is compromised. The harder one has to squeeze with the dominant hand to have a good purchase, the harder it is to isolate the trigger finger, ESPECIALLY with a stiff trigger.

For all of those reasons, I would recommend something with a larger grip surface that will fill her hands so that a minimal squeeze results in maximum purchase, sufficient room for the support hand to provide recoil control, a light recoiling round, and a light trigger. The LCR does not fit that. Its tough to get the support hand involved, long and heavy trigger, small diameter grip, no way to thumb cock to reduce trigger effort, and if arthritis is a concern, the cylinder release is small and can be stiff prior to break in. I'm going to guess an older lady with weak hands isn't going to put a lot of rounds down range to wear in the gun.

I have no doubt your mom can shoot an LCR just fine at 7 yards. I also have no doubt that'll probably be enough for her. However, just for funsies if you put a Cheetah or similar gun in her hands I bet you she'd be even better.

So you believe that the two step decocker, small slide stop and racking the slide is easier to deal with than the simplicity of a revolver? The mag safety also renders the gun useless if the mag release button is accidentally pushed. Who is going to load the mags for her? Who will be there with her in an emergency situation if she has a malfunction?

The LCR can have the grips replaced if needed to fill the hand as you stated in your reply. All she has to remember is to keep pulling the trigger until the threat is stopped.

I still stand by what I said that the Cheetah is not a better choice for an elderly woman with minimal hand strength. I would not trust my moms life with the Cheetah over the LCR.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My dad racks it by putting the rear sight on a table and pushing. He has plenty of arm strength, just not much grip. He can also use his belt if need be. He just uses the table because it's easier and I have one on the range.

I load his mags. If he needs more than 2 he probably lost anyway.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    If the M-I-L is unfamiliar with firearms, and unlikely to learn things like mandatory malfunction drills (and yes, they're mandatory), a revolver may well be a better choice.

No 'manual of arms' to learn, no malfunction drills, revolvers aren't 'ammo sensitive', and a speedloader can't be inserted backward into the mag well nor can a round be inserted backward into the speedloader. Overall, from the perspective of someone lacking firearms familiarity, and whom may or may not be interested in taking classes (though they should), a revolver is just a 'simpler' type of handgun. Pull trigger, 'bang!' If no 'bang!', pull trigger again.

If it's not going to be an EDC (even if it is, I suppose), perhaps something like a 4" revolver. Blue, stainless, 5 - 8 shots, round butt, square butt, and a wide variety of grip sizes and designs to choose from, as the grip doesn't have to accommodate a magazine. Of course, as with semi-autos, there's also the variety of sights, night sights, lasers, etc.

Maybe something like the S&W 'K' or 'L' frame, or equivalents from other makers, depending if the need is lighter weight for ease of handling, or heavier weight for less recoil. Even a S&W 'N' frame type, if 'substantial' is needed.

With modern self-defense and range ammo, the .357 / .38 revolver certainly has a huge array of choices in picking ammo. Perhaps one of the most broad of any caliber.

Something (for example) like a 4" stainless (S&W Mdl. 66, et. al) loaded with .38 SD ammo is a pretty good option, and has enough mass to make shooting .38's relatively comfortable, with little recoil. And the trigger can be 'massaged' if the M-I-L feels it's needed to 'smooth' (not necessarily lighten) the trigger pull.

YMMV.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    If the M-I-L is unfamiliar with firearms, and unlikely to learn things like mandatory malfunction drills (and yes, they're mandatory), a revolver may well be a better choice.

No 'manual of arms' to learn, no malfunction drills, revolvers aren't 'ammo sensitive', and a speedloader can't be inserted backward into the mag well nor can a round be inserted backward into the speedloader. Overall, from the perspective of someone lacking firearms familiarity, and whom may or may not be interested in taking classes (though they should), a revolver is just a 'simpler' type of handgun. Pull trigger, 'bang!' If no 'bang!', pull trigger again.

If it's not going to be an EDC (even if it is, I suppose), perhaps something like a 4" revolver. Blue, stainless, 5 - 8 shots, round butt, square butt, and a wide variety of grip sizes and designs to choose from, as the grip doesn't have to accommodate a magazine. Of course, as with semi-autos, there's also the variety of sights, night sights, lasers, etc.

Maybe something like the S&W 'K' or 'L' frame, or equivalents from other makers, depending if the need is lighter weight for ease of handling, or heavier weight for less recoil. Even a S&W 'N' frame type, if 'substantial' is needed.

With modern self-defense and range ammo, the .357 / .38 revolver certainly has a huge array of choices in picking ammo. Perhaps one of the most broad of any caliber.

Something (for example) like a 4" stainless (S&W Mdl. 66, et. al) loaded with .38 SD ammo is a pretty good option, and has enough mass to make shooting .38's relatively comfortable, with little recoil. And the trigger can be 'massaged' if the M-I-L feels it's needed to 'smooth' (not necessarily lighten) the trigger pull.

YMMV.

Very well said MG

Keep it simple :yesway:

Probably no gun at all.

What logic do you have to back up that statement? :dunno:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The only way you can find out is let her shoot a variety and see what works for her.

Pretty much this. We can all throw out places to start, but its really tough to fit a gun to her hand online.

The suggestions for a full size revolver have merit, as well. The grip size is really easy to tailor, and recoil reducing grips work. Hogue Tamers are surprising in how well they work, at least IMO. I would guess they make them for the larger S&W offerings, but I know for sure they do for the GP100 on the Ruger side of the house.

Another thing to consider is eye sight. If she wears bifocals, which is pretty darned common among the older folks, a different color front sight may help her find the sight picture.

TacticAll

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for all the great advice. Printcraft do you have one of those MIL specials forsake? I would think you ex MIL no longer needs a gun.

Actually I think I'll go to the range and rent a .22 revolver and then try a 38 special. I'll let you know what we settle on. Looks like Ill be selling the Taurus pT111 9mm.

Ill list it on here as soon as I have enough posts to buy and sell. By the way when can I start listing and buying?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I went with a Smith M10. No limp wristing with a revolver and no mags to load (finger strength).

She has smaller versions of ATM hands (long but narrow, like a gibbon) and I had to use a Tyler T as a spacer.

I used bright orange fishing jig paint on the front sight.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Thanks for all the great advice. Printcraft do you have one of those MIL specials forsake? I would think you ex MIL no longer needs a gun.

Actually I think I'll go to the range and rent a .22 revolver and then try a 38 special. I'll let you know what we settle on. Looks like Ill be selling the Taurus pT111 9mm.

Ill list it on here as soon as I have enough posts to buy and sell. By the way when can I start listing and buying?

I think it would be a good seller.

Top Bottom