• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    the SR22 was probably a great choice in pistol. any pistol she is able to operate AND is willing to train with/use is the correct choice no matter of caliber or action etc. and she seems to already be doing that! awesome.

for the future readers of the same question, the glock 42 is really nice. (.380) my fiance is very "particular" about what she chooses to carry and what she enjoys to shoot. she loves her glock 19 to shoot at the range but doesn't like to carry it because it's too bulky for her and she likes to wear tighter clothing. She was carrying the ruger LCP for a while beacuse it's so small and easy to conceal but hated to practice with it as it would hurt her hands and she felt like it would jump out of her hands or blow apart. i don't care to shoot it much either. she wasn't confident in that pistol and she wasn't accurate with it either. I got her a glock 42 as an early bday present and she absolutely loves it. it is the perfect balance of conceal-ability and hassle free shooting. smooth trigger, very little/manageable recoil, prominent and visible sights, much more accurate than the LCP. she is now shooting at the same distance with the g42 as she does with the g19 (about 21-25 ft) whereas she was practicing with the LCP at only 15 ft and not doing so well even there. which is why, obviously, i had to get her something else.

Good for your MIL. Im proud of her too

Try some Hornady Critical Defense in the G42, you'll think you are shooting a 22LR.

hd96heritage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2014
    Wheat-tucky
    I will try some for sure. I normally don't have any problems with the precision cartridge reload rounds through my pistols but the g42 didn't like them at all. Wouldn't even try to eject. Weirdest thing I've ever seen. Load fine, fire, but casing never left chamber, not a stove pipe. I'm not even sure if the slide cycled now that I look back on it. I'm gonna need to try that ammo again to see for sure.

TacticAll

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Ok the Mother In-law decided to ignor the advice from all my INGO buddies and go with a Taurus PT-22 instead of the suicide revolver. I think it will work out good for her due to the flip up barrel and small frame. It even came with cute lil pink grips! Oh and we picked up a Taurus 638 Pro for my Father In-Law. We got them from Rual King. This was my 1st visit to RK and was pleasantly surprised. Does anyone have experience with either of these pistols? I'll let you know the first time I get to take them out to the range. Sorry to see BGF fire, great people and great range.

mattyd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Lots of good points to consider. Now that they made their purchases, have they shot their new guns yet? How did it go?

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I watched two teenagers that were unable to work the slide on a Taurus PT-22. Can your MIL operate it?

The slide didn't seem stiff to me so maybe it was just a lack of familiarity on their part.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Practice, practice, practice. Oh, and don't forget the one essential: practice.

Generally speaking, new shooters aren't used to, and often surprised by the 'violent' recoil almost every handgun produces. Even the .22 LR can surprise some folks that just aren't familiar with shooting.

As all of us have needed to do, there's a learning curve that's required to work through. Some of us started very young, so we don't think about it much. There's a set of skills that are learned and acquired, just as there is learning to work with any other tool. Constant repetition and consistent practice is how this accomplished. Of course, this is easier for some than for others, depending on their physical makeup, background, and psychological predisposition.

Best of luck, encourage the in-laws to keep working at it, and they'll be just fine.

Oh, and don't forget to tell them: It's not the tool, it's the person using it.

Top Bottom