• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Rossi revolvers are usually a safe bet on a revolver for under $300. If you do some searching, you may even be able to find a used Smith under the limit.

As far as auto pistols go, Kel-tek makes a decent pistol that can be found new within your budget. If a larger frame is more to your liking, a used Ruger P series, or a Taurus 92 shouldnt be too hard to find under the $300 mark.

Sigmas are ugly, have a heavy trigger, but do the job, and are fairly light weight.

If you are one of those that just has to be different, look at some of the Soviet surplus pistols. Tokorevs, Makoravs, or any of the other variants that they produced are usually inexpensive, have enough power to be considered for personal defense, and usually are as reliable as they come.

Biggest thing is find something that fits YOU, and that you will be willing to (and can afford to) shoot enough to be effective.

I could not agree more. Ruger p series is a fine pistol. but i would suggest a Tokorev. 7.62x25mm hits with close to the same ballistic energy as a 357 magnum, ammo is cheaper than 9mm. and lets face it, a whole lot of dead nazis proves just how effective it is. a tt33 goes for well under 300 dollars. Good luck in your search.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I just bought a Ruger P95dc from Gunbroker.com last week, had it shipped, paid my FFL, and got home for $237. You can't beat that. 9MM, 15 rounds in the mags, stainless, and did I mention $237? It's a beautiful thing.

wpframe01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    +1 on Sigma

As others have stated, Taurus has many options around that price point. Alternatively, my first semi-auto was a Smith & Wesson Sigma in .40, and it was a nice first gun. Yes, the trigger is heavy and gritty, but it's very reliable and ate everything I fed it. I eventually upgraded to more expensive guns, but sometimes miss the 'ol Sigma. The 9mm version would of course be cheaper to shoot. They can frequently be found under $300.

2-SW220023FC - S&W SW40VE Sigma Series Semiautomatic Handgun .40 S&W 4" Barrel 14 Rounds Matte Two Tone Finish

Add shipping and FFL, and it should be right about your $300 budget. Either way, have fun gun shopping!

2-SW220023FC.jpg

Several years ago I owned an SW40F - the duty-size version of the SW40VE. The Hi-Capacity (aka Normal Capacity) Magazine Ban was still in effect, so I decided to trade it for something smaller that held the same number of rounds. I agree, there are times I still wish I had it.

Jdalton765

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Muncie, Indiana
    Several years ago I owned an SW40F - the duty-size version of the SW40VE. The Hi-Capacity (aka Normal Capacity) Magazine Ban was still in effect, so I decided to trade it for something smaller that held the same number of rounds. I agree, there are times I still wish I had it.

I traded mine in because all my friends talked crap about it, the saying the trigger pull and everything was to hard and the rail was crap lol, i honestly miss it too

HD_darla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    OP
    You might consider a Makarov? Lots of people have lots of opinions on them, I myself think their pretty decent little guns and right in your price range.
    It might have been said already but I didn't feel like reading 8 pages to see.

dcahsr23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Central Indiana
    As others have stated, Taurus has many options around that price point. Alternatively, my first semi-auto was a Smith & Wesson Sigma in .40, and it was a nice first gun. Yes, the trigger is heavy and gritty, but it's very reliable and ate everything I fed it. I eventually upgraded to more expensive guns, but sometimes miss the 'ol Sigma. The 9mm version would of course be cheaper to shoot. They can frequently be found under $300.

2-SW220023FC - S&W SW40VE Sigma Series Semiautomatic Handgun .40 S&W 4" Barrel 14 Rounds Matte Two Tone Finish

Add shipping and FFL, and it should be right about your $300 budget. Either way, have fun gun shopping!

2-SW220023FC.jpg

nice weapon but have to look around to have it your hand for $300 after taxes new. easier to find one used for under 300. comparable to glock 23 in 40 cal. little more recoil and spread an inch wider at 15yrds (bout 5in) doing rapid fire. but size and reliability real good. no problems with any ammo feed through it even reloads. no safety (switching the safety off to fire has earned people with premeditated charges) i keep one in the chamber and not worry due to ,I think, trig pull. if you want something smaller try the s&w bodyguard in 38(semi) and 38spl.

coolatula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    I have a PA-63 and it's been dead reliable. I probably have 500-800 rounds through it without a hiccup. Hungarian Police turn-in from JG Sales, best $99 I ever spent. Little bit more recoil than expected for a 9x18 but I'm not buying a stiffer recoil spring for a $99 gun.

Yours must be tighter than my old P85 was. That thing sounded like a Coke can full of gravel when I shook it. Speaking of cans, I was lucky to hit one at 15 yards. Probably hit a person though, and it went bang every single time, I'll give it that. It got stolen and I didn't really care.

Also consider a Rossi .357. Picked up a used one a while back for $210. I really like it a lot.

You were not imagining how loose your P85 was(85 was for the year it was designed).
    I had one one the first phosphate looking green ones(later ones were more grey) and it was a rattle-trap. It was however "combat accurate"(approx. 4" Max. @25 meters ?),went bang every time the trigger was pulled,feed and extracted ball ammo without failure or drama.

That was how Ruger designed it as it was Rugers 9mm semi-auto,Hi-cap. entry for the military contract to replace the aging Colt 1911 .45 acp that Beretta ultimately claimed in the end.

The one criteria that would get a pistol kicked out of the trials quicker than anything was a lack of reliability. Ruger made sure that was absolutely not going to be the reason the P85 was not chosen,hence clackity-clackity-clack. So you can not fairly compare it's accuracy potential against any other P-series such as a P89,P90,P95 etc. because it was designed and built to much looser tolerances to insure it's reliability during the pistol trials.

As far as not caring about it getting stolen well they are considered collector items now. Especially the early model like I had. I paid $285.00 new for mine back in the mid 80's and it would be worth about $400.00 now.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To the O.P. I have to what? 22nd ? or 23rd ? the nomination for the Ruger P95. I had one from new and was very impressed with it's overall accuracy,durabillity and reliabillity.

Yes I would have depended on it to save my life any time any where. It was stone cold reliable right out of the box during the 1,200 plus total rnds I put through it. Which included a stint of 700-800 rnds of purposely not cleaning it to see how long it would run. I tapped out before it did and gave it a good,well deserved bubble bath.

My was bought new as a P95DC w/Stainless steel slide,decocker,w/ $50.00 Ruger Rebate for.....$265.00 O.T.D. incl. tax !

Last edited:
    Top Bottom