• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I did get a chance to look over a few different makes and models this weekend. The M&P Shield and XDs both look and feel great. They also have decent sights and triggers. But I would definitely be open to replacements (aka upgrades) on the triggers. And I would probably look into TFO sights as well. The P938 and even the P238 look and feel great too, both resembling a 1911. But the triggers are deceptive. It is not the straight back feel and function of a 1911. Instead it is hinged with a 1911'ish look. I noticed the difference more prominently on the P238. When I pulled the trigger I kept feeling a pinch on the lower part of my finger. That is when I got to looking at the trigger action and noticed it. I checked out the LC9s too. I really wanted to like this one. Unfortunately it just didn't feel right in my hands. I felt like I was having to pinch in too much to try and get a firm grip on this one. So it looks like the Sigs and the Rugers are off the list due to my big honker hands. I'm also going to look into a few other options I have seen others mention on here. Thankfully I'm not in a pinch where I need something right away. I do have others to carry. They are just double stacks and not as easy to conceal at times. But if I decide on a Springfield, I do want to do it before the promo for the free mags runs out on Oct 31.

JT1968

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Aurora
    Maybe you should consider a Walther PPS. I don't believe it's much bigger than a Shield and the trigger is much better. Or at least it is on my two examples. Also the Pps has adjustable back straps, I don't believe the shield does.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    There is a noticeable size difference between many of the pistols being listed. If you're looking purely at size, the CM9, LC9, and P938 are not exactly in the same class as the Shield or XDs:

DSC03808.jpg

IMAG0184.jpg
    (notice 938 has finger extension)

4ac5fd5d-05ce-2860.jpg

EDIT: just realized these google pics came from an INGO post. Check out this great comparison from Code_Red: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...vs-xds-weight-photo-comparison-pic-heavy.html

I am sure the XDs and Shield are great shooters, but I didn't purchase one because of the size alone. I have owned both a CM9 and Sig 938 and they are borderline too big for me to pocket carry. They both disappear IWB under light clothes with a decent kydex holster though. I don't know how you guys get away with front pocket carrying XDs' and Shields.

FWIW, I love my P938; If I had to sell everything besides two guns, I would keep my P938 and Ruger LCP (both are 95% of what I carry).

bluehdflhrs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Copy of Kahr PM9.jpg To me the best bang for the buck is Kahr.I have a Kahr P9 and a PM9 which I carry the most.These guns are very easy to carry slim and lite. They are very accurate .Kahrs have one of the best triggers on the market.I think you couldn't go wrong with a Kahr. I also have big hands and these fit great.I have grip sleeves on both guns.This helps with both grip and recoil.

Last edited:

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    Obviously, best is different for each person. I have had an LCP, a Shield, and finally the Kimber Solo Carry. I still have the latter. It's a work of art in comparison to the others. Here's a shot for size comparison, but you can see how everything is rounded and dehorned. The grip is a little short, but the extra mag I carry has the extension. The mag release is stiff, but that's so the thing doesn't eject in your pocket. And when they say to use 124gr or larger, they mean it. It doesn't feed 115gr ball worth a darn. Still, it is what I would consider best.

attachment.php

Sgt.Striker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I pocket carry a Glock 19, its a bit bigger than some of the guns mentioned but I don't wear skinny jeans or anything like that so it works for me. fits my hand perfectly and I know it will shoot when I pull the trigger

remington870

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Hebron
    Look into a Ruger LC9. A cheaper handgun, reliable, and accurate. I love grip. A bit snappy and a heavy trigger pull, but overall a good gun.

Armed-in-Carmel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    After thinking through what I needed in a pocket 9, I chose the Sig P938 and bought it from Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore in OH. It lives in my front pocket "cocked n locked" in a pocket holster. Shoots everything from FMJ reloads to new factory FMJ to high-end defensive rounds. Very manageable recoil and accurate, too, with great sights. Never choked once in 500+ rounds. Safety is pretty stiff and the trigger is about 8lbs. I feel completely safe and comfortable carrying this pistol.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    The Ruger LC9S is a really nice one. The Striker fired one now and not the hammer fired DAO. I have one I love and will soon carry as soon as I have time and the weather give me a break t test it at the range a bit more seriously than I have so far. It has a similar trigger to the Glock if you like that but a better (IMO) grip angle. Very accurate too as far as I have tested. There is also no Loaded Chamber Flag which seems to annoy folks so no snagging on things hen loaded.
    main.php

The mag is a Ruger 8 round but they come with a 6 or 7 round magazine, can't remember. The added length of the extended mag makes it even nicer to shoot plus it is a Ruger made magazine so no Promag Problems. :( The longer mag doesn't ,ake oot all that much harder to conceal either but I am a "Portly" man. :)

bagdaddy09

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    noblesville
    Its not on your list, but I recently picked up a S&W Shield. I've got pretty big hands and it fits me well. I had a Kel Tec P-11 and PF-9 in the past. The P-11 was OK, the PF-9 was too small for me, I had to readjust my grip pretty much every shot. Annoying on the range, unacceptable for defensive uses.

[video=youtube;W5Pv-NNcATs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5Pv-NNcATs&list=UUlp8WmKL0enZ4Y8PCdws95A[/video]

I'm with SlowHand, I like mine a lot. With the +1 mag, the grip is good.

Top Bottom