• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    i can show you areas that now have no ability to use a cell phone for communication and as a result of the breakup, T has the legal ability to not only abandon phone service, but with a letter 3 months before, they can shut landline service off. Please tell me how this is good for these consumers.
    You are arguing that the fact that local service now if getting shut down is because ATT was broken up 40 years ago? There is zero correlation between those two things. Really old phone switches and lack of customers is why they are shutting off local service, not because ATT is no longer the behemoth it was then.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    You are arguing that the fact that local service now if getting shut down is because ATT was broken up 40 years ago? There is zero correlation between those two things. Really old phone switches and lack of customers is why they are shutting off local service, not because ATT is no longer the behemoth it was then.
    I don't know much of anything about what happened to AT&T, perhaps it was necessary, justified and beneficial. I think we all can agree that was a very, very different DOJ than the Garland/Biden dumpster fire.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Not true. The judge green decision not only broke up the LD and local markets, but it set the ground rules for local exchange competition that required deregulation. The government created a disaster. New CLECs that had zero accountability and zero regulation and the ILEC that was held to a different set of rules. Law suits resulted in the Telecommunications Act of 1996 that sunset regulations for ILECs and was the start of the end for landline service. The majority of the “old switches” you speak of have been replaced with virtual switches in many companies. They have very little effect on the loss of customers. The behemoth used LD profits to subsidize the rural local pricing for 100 years at the blessing of the government. Green’s decision sealed the fate of rural phone customers. The new at&t no longer had the ability to subsidize the rural market and. CLECs had no interest in high cost, low profit rural areas. Was T perfect? No, but they agreed to a set of rules that allowed higher pricing in urban areas and LD pricing that was required to be used to subsidize the rural high cost market for “universal service” then the government changed the rules. The only ones hurt are the rural areas that have no options.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Used Androids at work and home for years. Have had an Apple phone/iPad for several years. Not going back. Too easy to use and no problems whatsoever.

Don

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Just to clarify the cell phone was invented by motorola in 1973 and was in the market well before the Judge Green decision in 1983. So your statement quoted is false.
    Except not the current viable form:
    The first commercial digital cellular network, the 2G generation, was launched in 1991.

I was working at AT&T labs at the time.
    Partnering with AT&T as a technology provider, McCaw introduced their "Cellular One" service in 1990, the first truly national cellular system. AT&T purchased 33% of the company in 1992, and arranged a merger in 1994 that made Craig McCaw one of AT&T's largest shareholders. In 2002, the company was spun off from AT&T to become AT&T Wireless Services.
    My AT&T cellular account is considered a “foundation account” that I still receive a discount for.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    AT&T sucks!
    Just curious why you say that.

I have been with them since inception nearly 30 years now without a problem, plus I get good signal where many others do not.

I will agree that their internet/fiber service does seem to suck, I don't know too many happy with their TV/internet service, the cell service has been rock solid for me.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Just curious why you say that.

I have been with them since inception nearly 30 years now without a problem, plus I get good signal where many others do not.

I will agree that their internet/fiber service does seem to suck, I don't know too many happy with their TV/internet service, the cell service has been rock solid for me.
    I don't mean their wireless service. I haven't been with them in 20 years. As a customer of many of their voice and data services over the years, they are horrible. Sales was always a joke, billing was horrible, and support was always worse.

In an arena where most everyone sucks, AT&T stood out from most of the rest.

Top Bottom