Binkley's in Broad Ripple-Armed Robbery-What Would You Do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield

Binkley's Kitchen & Bar robbed at gunpoint

What would you do assuming you are armed.

1. Try and get through the ordeal, maybe have to "give up" your valuables, but not risk anything and hope for the best. Later, the police can sort things out. Be a good witness, etc.

2. Quick assessment and draw? Fire first? Legal consequences?

I realize there are countless what-ifs to consider. Here is one- some days I have a Ruger LCP tucked away in a front pocket. Some days I have a CZ 75D in an OWB. Things to consider!

What say INGO?

Edit- There is mention of this robbery in another thread. BTW- does Binkley's have a posted policy regarding guns?

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    There is a lot to consider and you'd have to decide very fast. Are the baddies spread out or still standing together? Also Rule #4? Are lives at risk? Could engaging the 3 bad guys with a drawn weapon and a loud voice cause them to flee, or not? Is there 1 armed person (you/me) or are you with someone who is also armed?

Never ate at this place, looking at the address the baddies probably figured no one would be carrying.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Unless personally threatened with bodily harm, me or others, ride it out.. I'm a chemist not a hero...but I do have a certain set of skills. Skills I've acquired over a lifetime..etc..

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    If you hesitate because you are waiting on real danger, then you need to rethink this. The baddies showed their deadly force when they produced firearms and then started robbing the joint. That's real danger...then there about 1001 things you need to quickly take into consideration, like nano seconds....before you shoot to kill.

Playing armchair QB is a lot easier than being there and having to make these decisions.

I don't drink in bars...that surely reduces my chances of being robbed or shot in one.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I would like to think I would ACT, rather than cower and await my fate.

TXT 911. Get my wife and I out through the back/kitchen/emergency exit. Pray to God that the perps don't escalate farther. That would lead to some really tough, split-second choices. I don't want to be a hero.

It takes some balls to hit a big establishment like that, while it is open and semi-full, on a busy corner.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I would like to think I would ACT, rather than cower and await my fate.

TXT 911. Get my wife and I out through the back/kitchen/emergency exit. Pray to God that the perps don't escalate farther. That would lead to some really tough, split-second choices. I don't want to be a hero.

It takes some balls to hit a big establishment like that, while it is open and semi-full, on a busy corner.

This

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Rack my shotgun, Uncle Joe style, and watch the bad guys pee their pants.

Ok seriously, with hindsight being 20-20 and seeing as how this was strictly a robbery - I would do nothing but comply. It's only money, what do I care. Money is replaceable, lives are not.

Now, in the moment...it would depend on circumstances. Did they get the drop on me? Then comply unless there is no other option but to defend. Did I see them coming with ill intent? Maybe I look out for Number 1 and get out. Do I have my kids with me? Then I'm leaving out the back, between the kids and the bad guy and as long as they don't escalate we're all cool. Otherwise my kids are running and I'm in full on protect/defend/delay bad guys mode.

I'm guessing these guys got the drop on everyone, so the reality is I would comply as long as there is no harm done. If they shoot at someone or kill someone and it's not me first, then it's on. If they get the drop on me and kill me, well, it's no longer my fight.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I dine at Binkley's fairly frequently.

When this sort of situation occurs I subscribe to Col. Jeff Cooper's (with whom I served for a number of years on the NRA Board) philosophy: The only proper response to being attacked is instantaneous, explosive counter-attack.

The accounts that I've read of the incident make it seem to me that the suspects could have been taken out fairly easily.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    This is a tough one, besides the usual "I wasn't there" caveats.

3 perps, plus lots of customers. Even if you THINK you can take all 3 by starting to fire while they are looking the other way, then how many customers scream and run and make things worse?

But if you cooperate and they come to take money out of your pocket and they find your gun.... do they just take it (and heck they already had guns) or does that become an excuse to shoot you? If you have waited until they get to you, now it's probably too late to change your plan.

No easy answer.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I dine at Binkley's fairly frequently.

When this sort of situation occurs I subscribe to Col. Jeff Cooper's (with whom I served for a number of years on the NRA Board) philosophy: The only proper response to being attacked is instantaneous, explosive counter-attack.

The accounts that I've read of the incident make it seem to me that the suspects could have been taken out fairly easily.

I have a couple of questions about this philosophy. Is there some ethical, as well as tactical basis for the "instantaneous explosive counterattack" being the only proper response? What I mean is that an argument can be made for that on the basis that evil deeds should not be tolerated and good people should response to force with force.

Just askin'.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I have a couple of questions about this philosophy. Is there some ethical, as well as tactical basis for the "instantaneous explosive counterattack" being the only proper response? What I mean is that an argument can be made for that on the basis that evil deeds should not be tolerated and good people should response to force with force.

Just askin'.[/QUOTE

Because that's how you win.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I can't divulge all my tactics, but let's just say it's going to involve backflips, combat rolls, and shooting from behind other, smaller, shooters.

Top Bottom