• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rlspach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    You could have saved yourself a ton of $$$'s and made two and it would have contained far more than that.

No doubt but before I bought those I had nothing. I also didn't have to spend a ton of time trying to figure out what to buy, pack it, etc, etc. It was more than worth it to not have to spend all that time figuring it out.

I like them and they've already come in handy, plus they don't take up a ton of room in the car.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    i gave into the pressure and ordered one of LAPG's 3 day packs. I suppose now I will have to begin assembling supplies. :)

i think the first thing will be a water bladder of some kind and a blanket. are camel-bak bladders good?

id stay away from the bladders for a SHTF pack unless your gonna use an inline filter on it. get a couple water filter bottles at wally world, for $30 each. then a couple bottles of water.

prowland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Greenwood
    My company gives us first aid kits all the time. From small "auto" kits to large wall kits. I have picked through a few of the large kits and made a get home kit for each car, 3 day BOB, and a week kit that I keep in the mini barn.

I have a decent amount of knowledge on first aid but have small booklets in each bag on some general and some more extensive first aid in each bag if I am the one who needs the aid.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    No doubt but before I bought those I had nothing. I also didn't have to spend a ton of time trying to figure out what to buy, pack it, etc, etc. It was more than worth it to not have to spend all that time figuring it out.

I like them and they've already come in handy, plus they don't take up a ton of room in the car.

You did good and don't let any tell you otherwise. We can all get a little too carried away with trying to pinch pennies and at some point having something in your hand is better than not having something even if you paid a little more for it. People can take months to learn exactly what you'd want and how to use everything they've got. I think it's best to start with some kind of a generic kit and learn it, then build your own or add to the original.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I agree with just about all the comments. A Camelpak is better with a filter, I think some of us know what stale water tastes like out of one of these packs.. The Civilian Filters are only about $20 and replacements are about $5 a piece.. Snap right in line with the hose and are only for taste. The Military Filters make dirty water safe and cost more..

Priority is to have what you know how to use.

Be familiar with where it is in your pack, sounds dumb but if you know your pack you should be able to pull whatever you want out very quickly from touch memory in the dark..

The majors are all important..

Water, Shelter, Heat, Food, Fire for Cooking, Protection, Mobility, etc..

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    LPMan359,

If you "bug out", where would you go?:dunno:

I am not making a sarcastic question, but being serious.

Answer that question first.

Next, figure out what the most likely event would be to make you go there. Think of every piece of collateral damage that event would cause. Clogged roads, burning fires, dead chickens, whatever.

Finally, try to think of the most likely equipment you would need to give you the maximum probability of success to arrive healthy.

With ALL THAT in mind, you can then begin thinking about what to put in your BOB.

An easy way to do this is watch any post holocaust movie and put yourself into the movie. What would you want? Where would you go? How many would you want to go with you? Etc.

Regards,

Doug

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    ok so it's been a few weeks. my BOB has been set up primarily for:

1) car breaking down in the middle of nowhere, being stranded, etc
    2) grab and go bag if i speedily have to get to either sets of parents, or my wife's family property in an out-of-state rural area.
    3) wife kicking me out of the house for the evening ;)

what i've got so far:
    Maglight and extra batteries
    cigarette lighters
    multi-tool
    sunscreen
    compass/whistle/thermometer
    can of CLP, basic cleaning supplies
    1 change of clothes- undershirt, shirt, boxers, 2 pairs of socks (1 heavy, 1 normal)
    toiletries (toothbrush, deodorant, etc)
    1 pair of gloves
    1st aid kit
    mag carrier with 2 ak mags and 2 ar mags
    sharpened AK bayonet
    1 box .45acp ammo
    1 .45acp pistol and mags

not included in the bag but ready to go in a minute:
    Colt 6920 and 8 magazine chest rig
    CAI WASR-10

things i am planning to get:
    am/fm/weather radio
    water supply
    dried foods
    wool blanket/space saver blanket
    camping utensils

Last edited:

FWShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Hope you do not get hungry or thirsty.

You can buy energry bars that are high calorie pretty cheap that last a lifetime and maybe a couple water bottles and some purification tablets (plus you can use the water bottles as more storage space).

Also, backpack stoves are a nice addition and you can use them to boil water or cook a meal if you get the lightweight pans.

I also like to include tarp, multitool, knife, some waterproof matches, tinder material, small fishing gear, small amount of spices (amazing how everyone forgets food is freaking bland), and 22 ammo because in a truly SHTF scenerio I am going to be more reliant on evading trouble and being able to trap/kill little creatures quickly than using guns that make loud bangs.

Also, man cannot have to much paracord especially with a tarp you can have shelter.

Also, one more thing people forget when you have to haul all this crap ounces weigh lbs.

What I have found best with mine is actually go out in the backyard with a tent and try and survive the weekend with it. After I got what I wanted narrowed down then I went up to the campsite and did the same thing with hiking.

Nice thing about being at home is I never really screwed myself because if there was something I truly needed and forgot I could grab it.

Last edited:

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    LPMan59, you can get a sawyer inline filter at wally world for around $30, it comes with the bottle but can also be hooked up to a bladder. the filter can be back flushed to clean it out as well. they used to say that these things will filter a million gallons, and from what i have read (reviews) they will darn near do it.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I prefer building my own bag, instead of picking up a generic, one size fits all survival kit. The kit can be tailored to your specifics, and the possibilities that you can foresee. My kit is almost more of a man purse, that stays in the trunk of my car, or behind the seat in my truck. I keep a basic first aid kit, blanket, change of clothes, and some food stuffs that would keep me going in case of an emergency that catches me away from home. Others may be more worried about getting away from their homes, and would need to adjust the contents to suit their own situations.

Top Bottom